Force Majeure

Card Packs: Who do you want to see?

On the subject of card packs: I think folks should have in their heads that they will _probably_ cost $20 for about 10-20 cards. Most of the cost of creating this game is designers, not cardboard and plastic. FFG has to pay their developers the same amount to create new cards even if there isn't a ship to go along with them. 

I know that this is a bit off topic, but I am just already envisioning the price complaints to come.

Posted (edited)

I think $15 wouldn't be too far from the mark. True, there are a lot of hidden costs, but if the player base feels the price is not a good value, then  product doesn't sell and then both sides lose. Having said that, $20 is probably the upper limit of what I'd consider reasonable without a plastic model.

For all we know packs won't be limited to a single ship type, but possibly two or more. We'll see. Hopefully we get some news in the near future.

Edited by Force Majeure

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

Do you want some pilots that didn't make it into Second Edition? 

Yes.

Do you want new pilots from every corner of SW media?

Definitely yes.

Who DON'T you want to see?

Basically there is nothing I don't want.  What I want is options; I can weed the chaff myself.  Nor do I expect every card in the game to be tournament gold; so, chaff is a fairly low bar thing for me.

But what I really want is to see each ship have more than 6 pilot options for years; I'm glad to see that most releases now come with +/-6 pilots to at least fill out the Initiative roster.

And what I also really want is to not have to wait for years for the X-Wing to need a fix so it gets a full-on Expac to see stuff like General Merrick show up.

It also could be cool to see old pilots with weird niche skills instead of the more general Standard one: like a Boba Fett that gets a bonus against Han Solo, or a Luke that has a special ability with Proton Torpedoes.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Definitely $15-20, but I expect way more than 10 cards or I riot. 10 new cards? Sure, no problem. But paying more than $1/card is pretty crazy for 2nd edition.

Then again... *chuckles in Palpatine*

As posted in other threads, I want to see a config or something to make the B-Wing more thematically cannon-based. For pilots, I'd like to see:

Rebel

Hera Syndulla (Phoenix Leader, I5-6, A-Wing, B-Wing)

Gina Moonsong (I4-5, B-Wing)

Aidon Fox (I2-3, B-Wing)

Antoc Merrick (I3-4, X-Wing)

Derek "Hobbie" Klivian (I3-4, X-Wing)

Wes Janson (I4-5, X-Wing)

Laren Joma (I4-5, U-Wing)

K-2S0 (I2-3, U-Wing)

Mart Mattin (I3-4, YT-2400)

Maybe more for the E/K/A-Wings, Auzituck, Z-95 (only 2 each :()

Imperial

Vult Skerris (I5, TIE/in, TIE/D)

Ciena Ree (I5, TIE/in)

Fifth Brother (I3-4, TIE/v1)

Valen Rudor (I4, TIE/v1)

More pilots for TIE Aggressor, Punisher, Phantom, Gunboat, and VT-49 Decimator (that's a lot with only 2 each, imps are sad :()

For upgrades, I'd like to see some new toys for the B-Wing, the TIE Aggressor, and the Jumpmaster. The B-Wing doesn't feel thematic and the other two don't have any kind of niche that isn't served better by another ship, and pricing won't really fix any of their issues. The U-Wing is awesome, but a way to carry Bistan would make it cooler.

I'd also like to see some new crew and Astros, especially some more interesting non-unique crew options for Galactic Empire (like ISB slicer).

Still missing crew for:

Dodonna/Ackbar/Mon Mothma/Other rebel high command

Bodhi Rook

K-2SO

Pao

Chirrut Imwe

Taslet Colb

Thrawn

Pryce

Konstantine

Admiral Titus

And both factions seriously need some useable non-turret gunners.

I'd also like to see card packs with the cannons/mods/sensors we've missed in the last few waves, and maybe errataed copies of cards (Inertial Dampeners, Manaroo, Punishing One, etc.)

RE: Costs.

For context, Legend of the Five Rings and Game of Thrones tend to have around 60 cards (well, 3x copies of 20 different cards) for $15 MSRP, but that's just cards and not tokens.

//

Who do I want to see?

499?cb=20161010193943

Vult Skerris in both an Interceptor and TIE Defender.  Ciena Ree Interceptor.

Wedge as a low-init Rookie in an A-Wing.  Some sort of actually-high Init RZ-1 A-Wing pilot.

Double-slot modifications which would be useful on Kihraxzes and Interceptors.  Don't need to be super powerful upgrades, if they're affordable.

Gunners (particularly generic, factionless Gunners) which actually do something for non-turret weapons, particularly front-arc weapons.  Such gunners don't need to be powerful auto-includes, but the option for *something* would be nice.  Like, something the power level of Perceptive Copilot is fine, but it'd just be nice to have options to fill the slots with, if we want them.

38 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

Me? I miss Tyco Celchu:

latest?cb=20130427132710

Yup same. I also don't think he needs his ability diluted. Tycho with Daredevil and Outmaneuver would be mad, but I still don't think it would come close to OP. The RZ-1 still can't ever target lock and focus or evade and focus in the same turn, or do any of the old Tycho tricks except focus/evade/lock and boost. He's still only got two attack dice. He just gains the option to barrel roll, that's it. 

I'd also love to see them bring back Backstabber, Wes Janson, Hobbie, Carnor Jax and Dark Curse. Again, I think all of them can pretty much retain their 1e abilities. with Wes and Carnor just being updated to read 'green tokens'.

For new cards in these packs, I'd like to see Vult Skerris and Ciena Ree in the TIE Interceptor, K-2SO in the U-Wing,  Davish Krail and either Tiree or Telsij in the Y-Wing, Gina Moonsong in the B-Wing, Shara Bey in the A-Wing, and Ooryl Qrygg and Asyr Sei'lar in the E-Wing.

I'd also love it if Rebels could get a load more astromechs so that all those pilots have their buddies for some nice thematic support. An R5-K6 that pairs nicely with Garven, R2-A3 for Wedge, R2-F2/Q2 for Biggs, and so on. 

Just now, theBitterFig said:

Who's Admiral Titus?  I'm familiar with a Commander Brom Titus.

Ezra-Bio-1_b1875f2e.jpeg?region=0,0,1280

Not sure dude ever got around to flying one of those.

8F50F4428FC11463F8699EC6C1DD6191E31AF57C

Oops. Commander Titus then.

One would have to suppose that Baron Rudor would have done at least one test flight before taking it for a public demonstration? And with a generic "Baron of the Empire" I would imagine it wouldn't be too far off the mark for him to fly one.

Plus his ability would be awesome on a chassis with linked focus-boost. Take an evade, get shot at at R2, then focus and zoom in for a sweet R1 counter-shot. Blue 1 turn to get back around. Maybe Daredevil if that helps.

2 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Not sure dude ever got around to flying one of those.

Well when we meet him, Valen talks about being a test pilot before retiring to run the bar. Both the Tie V/1 and Tie Defender were built and tested on lothal at some point, so it would make sense. That’s why he was a V/1 pilot in 1st edition.

Posted (edited)

On the topic of price for card packs, it is possible to keep the prices low.  Two years ago Star Trek Attack Wing started releasing card packs for older ships, which included a bunch of cards (usually 12-15), captain tokens, and ship tokens - all for $9.99. (or $7.99 at Miniature Market)

I hope FFG does something similar. I know our local store liked the card packs as they took up a lot less space, and hung on the wall as well.

Edited by Maizrim

Just now, ClassicalMoser said:

Oops. Commander Titus then.

One would have to suppose that Baron Rudor would have done at least one test flight before taking it for a public demonstration? And with a generic "Baron of the Empire" I would imagine it wouldn't be too far off the mark for him to fly one.

Plus his ability would be awesome on a chassis with linked focus-boost. Take an evade, get shot at at R2, then focus and zoom in for a sweet R1 counter-shot. Blue 1 turn to get back around. Maybe Daredevil if that helps.

I'm just being imp-ish. :D  Brom *used* to be an Admiral.

I’d like to see the new upgrades not locked to prequel factions that are currently going to be behind the prequel paywall to be available, and in more than one copy (passive sensors, snap shot etc). Uniques like electro proton bomb can be one copy in the card pack.

wouldn't mind more copies of autoblaster either.

Kir Kanos and Lt. Lorrir, back in their Interceptors but this time with talent slots.

I3 Reaper generic with talent slot.

A TIE Striker that can do something fancy with bombs.

Generally, more unique pilots for ships with only 2 or 3 options presently.

I don't really fly Imps or Scum, so I'm just going to give what I'd love to see out of the Rebels.

Pilots: A lot of people have already mentioned the A-wing and B-wing, and I'm going to throw my hat in there as well as someone who would love to see more options for the original trilogy ships.

A-wing: Tycho for sure, but Hera would be nice too. Heck, while you're at it, throw Wedge in there; this ship is just begging for some aces. If you have to give them different abilities to balance them as A-wing pilots, then so be it. Ahsoka would also be a worthwhile addition as a supporty A-wing.

B-wing: More pilot options would certainly be welcome (I think only two named pilots with no one over I4 was just... a bizarre decision for both A's and B's), but what this ship really needs is something to develop its identity beyond Yet Another Rebel Beef. A config, double slot cannon, anything.

U-wing: gimme that sweet sweet Tudyk plz

Y-wing: Pops and Tyree!

N-1: Leia as a pilot, please and thank you

YT-1300: Leia and The Droids as pilots, please and thank you

Crew: I'd love to see Han, Luke, and Obi-wan crew cards. Luke in particular is one that I would like to see largely because I am not a fan of gunner Luke; maybe a crew version, with an ability/art inspired by Empire or Jedi, would be good. K-2SO should show up as well. I'd also like to see the Rebel high command: Mon Mothma, Ackbar, Dodonna, Rieekan, and Madine are all important figures who are missing from the faction.

Would love to see Tycho (or at least his ability) back, but I would modify it in such a way that he doesn't have to cart around 15 stress tokens.  Maybe give him a recurring (max-1) charge ability where he can spend his charge when he receives a stress to discard the stress instead.  Makes his ability such that he can do a red maneuver w/out stress or a linked action without stress, but if he does both he's going to stress himself.

I'm torn on whether I'd want to see Hera in a B-Wing and A-Wing with her same ability (because it'd be quite good in both ships!) or a different ability simply for variety's sake.  Also, I wish her crew card were a bit better than it is... like maybe "ignore the effects of your first stress token" or a charge ability (recharging) that lets you spend x charges to discard a red token or take an extra action or something.  Right now I feel her crew is a bit expensive/weak for what it does, given that being stressed has limitations besides not being able to do reds.  The B-Wing aces would love to have her in theirs ride, but B-wings can't take crew anymore, so...

Definitely would like to see some ways to spruce up A- and B-wings through configurations.  B-Wings need a reason to make it worth putting more guns on them.  A-Wings did have some models that could rotate their guns.  I would love to have a config that lets them drop their missile slot in exchange for gaining the ability to shoot in other directions à la their successors.