Sign in to follow this  
Duciris

The 2nd Arkham Nights Council Card is out!

Fun to see the changes compared to the original version (3 resources and 3 locks, rather than 0 and 1 per investigator respectively). Maybe most useful with a Rogue and at small player counts, to hunt for Exceptional cards with fewer tests needed?

We also had the 13th Vision in the Circle Undone, which survived unchanged from its original incarnation:

05041.jpg

26 minutes ago, Assussanni said:

Fun to see the changes compared to the original version (3 resources and 3 locks, rather than 0 and 1 per investigator respectively). Maybe most useful with a Rogue and at small player counts, to hunt for Exceptional cards with fewer tests needed?

We also had the 13th Vision in the Circle Undone, which survived unchanged from its original incarnation:

05041.jpg

How did I miss that!?  Outstanding.  I'm looking forward to 2018's showing up.  Ikiaq is really cool.

s-l1600.jpg

30 minutes ago, Allonym said:

There really is a night-and-day difference in how interesting the cards are, comparing the 2017 cards to the 2018 cards...

I heard tell, at least on the investigator card, that more than half of the people didn't own the game, and some hadn't played it.  This year, everyone played it and a only 1 or 2 didn't own it.

1 hour ago, Duciris said:

I heard tell, at least on the investigator card, that more than half of the people didn't own the game, and some hadn't played it.  This year, everyone played it and a only 1 or 2 didn't own it.

There was a thread on Reddit I think, where someone who was on the council for the player card said essentially that there was a kid on the council who had this idea and everyone more or less let them have their way, so as not to be that guy being mean to a kid. Anecdotal, of course, but an interesting insight. 

But the weaknesses are even more stark in their differences - the 2017 weakness is boringly similar to Haunted but with weird edge cases, and the art bears no relation to the effect, whereas the 2018 weakness is just such an awesome idea, particularly in that it has a possible small upside, and the art is awesome. 

Edited by Allonym

1 hour ago, Allonym said:

There was a thread on Reddit I think, where someone who was on the council for the player card said essentially that there was a kid on the council who had this idea and everyone more or less let them have their way, so as not to be that guy being mean to a kid. Anecdotal, of course, but an interesting insight. 

Even then, it's actually a cool idea, but it got overtuned. I can hardly imagine that the kid was insisting it cost 3 resources. The game was still too young to balance such a bizarre effect, and FFG obviously erred on the side of making it too weak because they didn't want a powerful card to be an event exclusive.

Dropping it to zero resources is definitely the right call. The card is clearly supposed to be more of a fun effect than a necessarily powerful one (though it is strong if you can pass all the tests). Even aside from its resource efficiency, a cost of 3 makes it not-fun. It can't hit the table until the party is fully geared up and has a perfect plan for opening it. At zero resources, you just need the card in your hand and a spare action, and then you might as well get it in play just in case you can spare the actions to pull off its effect later. And then it sits there for the whole scenario, tempting you, taunting you...