Sign in to follow this  
Jobu

Not Getting Drawing Thin

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2019 at 9:41 PM, Buhallin said:

How is this broken?  It's a multi-card combo with limited charges that relies on a 4 XP card that you can't even get until the third scenario of a campaign.  Honestly, it's a pretty inefficient use of the Stones, as if you pull the multi-trigger you're going to be burning secrets for one damage rather than getting bigger hits out of larger card draw.

And honestly, looking at the description of the deck list it seems anything but broken.  The instructions for solving the Stone alone makes my head hurt.

This isn’t how the stone works - you spend 1 secret per card drawn regardless of whether it was a single effect that made you draw them or multiple smaller effects.

I think we should always be wary of testless damage. Not to mention that this combo exists in seeker with amazing card draw so setting it up isn’t difficult.

Edited by Janoche

On 6/21/2019 at 12:16 PM, Janoche said:

This isn’t how the stone works - you spend 1 secret per card drawn regardless of whether it was a single effect that made you draw them or multiple smaller effects.

I think we should always be wary of testless damage. Not to mention that this combo exists in seeker with amazing card draw so setting it up isn’t difficult.

Fair enough - but this makes the combo EVEN LESS broken than I thought it was.  And if the Stone is broken, it has nothing to do with Drawing Thin.

I think Drawing Thin is a good card, but not broken.  I only play my games on  hard difficulty though, so i don't know how much this card dominates in standard.  

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Buhallin said:

Fair enough - but this makes the combo EVEN LESS broken than I thought it was.  And if the Stone is broken, it has nothing to do with Drawing Thin.

The stones aren't a terrible option, but I've never run them because they are very limited. They're a temporary solution to a problem that you'll need other ways to address.

Other than cards that let you 'fast draw' if you are engaged with an enemy without backup, I'm not sure you want to be taking the AoO just to deal 1 damage. It will help mitigate the pressure on the guardian.

I guess what people are thinking is that you trigger drawing thin to attack an enemy or evade it at a very large disadvantage, but the card draw occurs prior to the test, so as soon as you draw the card, if you do enough damage to kill the enemy you don't have to do the test. And unless the enemy has retaliate/aloof, you won't be taking damage for missing when you pull your token.

But still, drawing thin exhausts and you only get 1 card, so you're only getting 1 'free' damage, which is usually not enough to kill something. You will need to wait until your next turn to pull it off again, or you better have another way to do at least 1 damage (possibly 2+). Or then be willing to draw and take (possibly multiple) AoO to finish the critter off.

All of this is assuming, of course, that you are engaged with the enemy (basically that one has spawned on you or hunted you down). But if you're not engaged, isn't killing things why we have guardians and mystics and survivors and, to some extent, rogues?

Edited by Soakman