Sign in to follow this  
BiggsIRL

May-Day! May-Day! We're Under Attack in the Steel Squadron May Thread

I posted something!  Too bad it's not Armada.  Seriously, read it though:

http://www.steelstrategy.com/2019/05/the-road-goes-ever-on-lets-play.html

Audience Decision Time:

Gimli:  Battle Axe or Sword + Harp/Banner
-and-
Legolas:  Great Bow, Staff, or Double Dagger (and Bilbo takes Harp/Banner)

Pick a Class for Gimli
-and-
Pick a Class for Legolas
-and-
Pick a Class for Bilbo

For me Bilbo is more of a YT-1300. Looks not like much, but is reliable and bears some surprises and secret cargo holds. Shouldn't be underestimated.

To give an answer to the OP. I kind a like the way the rules bring thematic issues into the game. It's nice to have a "harp" or a "handkerchief" or "well nourished", because those ideas play a vital role in LotR-books. (All this fancy-weaponry and fighting comes more from the films.) And I still like the idea, that Bilbo went out of his rabbit... no: hobbit hole with only some handkerchiefs. That's really ... wonderfully ... inventive!

Now when I read the description of the "steelstrategy" setup, I wonder a bit, if it's fun to give Gimli an Axe because he wielded one in the books. And to give Logolas a bow because of the book. And make Bilbo a burgler because ... Is that using your imagination and ... inventive?

I would give Legolas the double dagger and the role of a burgler. For me it's more fun to play a Bilbo who wields an axe and is a captain. And let the handkerchief for Gimli the Hunter, Pathfinder, or Musician. I would rather go and reread the wonderful novels instead of reinventing them.

Nevertheless: Thank you very much for describing the game!

44 minutes ago, Triangular said:

And make Bilbo a burgler because ... Is that using your imagination and ... inventive?

This Hobbit is my kind of scum, fearless and inventive, ho ho ho.

1 hour ago, Triangular said:

For me Bilbo is more of a YT-1300. Looks not like much, but is reliable and bears some surprises and secret cargo holds. Shouldn't be underestimated.

To give an answer to the OP. I kind a like the way the rules bring thematic issues into the game. It's nice to have a "harp" or a "handkerchief" or "well nourished", because those ideas play a vital role in LotR-books. (All this fancy-weaponry and fighting comes more from the films.) And I still like the idea, that Bilbo went out of his rabbit... no: hobbit hole with only some handkerchiefs. That's really ... wonderfully ... inventive!

Now when I read the description of the "steelstrategy" setup, I wonder a bit, if it's fun to give Gimli an Axe because he wielded one in the books. And to give Logolas a bow because of the book. And make Bilbo a burgler because ... Is that using your imagination and ... inventive?

I would give Legolas the double dagger and the role of a burgler. For me it's more fun to play a Bilbo who wields an axe and is a captain. And let the handkerchief for Gimli the Hunter, Pathfinder, or Musician. I would rather go and reread the wonderful novels instead of reinventing them.

Nevertheless: Thank you very much for describing the game!

Sadly Bilbo can't wield an Axe, because he can only use a single 1 handed item (presumably with 2 hands).  That means he gets a dagger, or no reasonable way of actually dealing damage.

45 minutes ago, BiggsIRL said:

It's never not been good.  Jar Jar, you're a genius!

Are you reading the latest ones with the Muppet Show?

Weird.

Catching up with Rogue One.

"Nobody will listen to a lone voice.  You need backup.  Someone with impeccable credibility."

"Somebody respected and beloved across the galaxy."

"Right, yes.  Someone who everyone will heed."

"It's settled then, setting a course for Naboo!"

"We're doomed!  Take the plans to Senator Binks!  He'll know what to do!  For Jar Jar!"

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Norell said:

I really loved how it twisted the original story but it still remained kinda Star Wars :D

@KaLeu you scruffy little nerf-herder, you hijacked Biggs' topic :P

Uh, yes, sorry. Just a brainfart when i read about Middle-Earth here in the forum. @BiggsIRL I apologize. Sooooo...

a Vibro-Dagger for Bilbo ((Burglar)

a Plasma-Bow for Legolas (Captain) and

the Laser-Sword of Zar with the Electro-Harp for Gimli (Guardian)

Blasters would be better....

Edited by KaLeu