Kyle Ren

Ship of the day: Resistance YT-1300

Ok so we all know the Falcon. It's one of the oldest ships in the game and has been at least somewhere present in the meta since what, 2013? But the question today concerns the Resistance variant. 

image0.jpg

So first of all the ship chassis. Slightly less hitpoints than the normal Falcon, red rotate, other than that mostly the same. The dial is also lacking the 4K and has a red 4 straight. However, the ship is a little cheaper. 

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5cc9cc474648324855

Chewbacca and Han are both on this ship, but with slightly less generally useful abilities than they have in the Rebel faction. How would/do you use these abilities? How do you build a squad around these pilots? 

giphy.gif

One of the biggest selling points of this chassis is access to a force-sensitive pilot, Rey. Her ability is less crazy than in 1.0 but she still seems really useful. How would/could/should you fly her?

image0.jpg

Despite seeming a little overpriced compared to the other Falcon variants, this one does have access to some different crew and gunners that might help it differentiate itself, as well as different options for squadmates. What do you think? What's the best way to use this ship?

72 Rey / 67 Han / 62 Chewie / 60 generic

7 Rose / 6 Finn / 4 Title / 6 Connix?

If these were the prices... would a loaded Rey, with all of the above plus Engine Upgrade, be competitive? It'd come in at a cool 102 points, which would leave room for probably 2 small base ships in some composition, or 3 if they're all RZ-2s.

For the curious:

In the krayt data, the Resistance Falcon has been flown 13 times across both formats (11 being Rey), and made cut exactly once (which was Han).

I've been toying with Rey with Title/Chewie/Finn/EU at 107 points.  Title + Engine Upgrade allows boosting no matter your stress, which is always good.  Chewie gives access to some level of passive mods, because you *will* take damage.  And Rey-Finn we all know and love.  Running her with some RZ2's for company.  It's a fun little list for casual night, and might be okay for a tournament with enough practice?

One I haven't tried yet is Han with Title/3PO/TacOff/EU/Rey at 110 points.  Also with A's.  The 3PO/TacOff combo hasn't been widely tried, and seems okay.

I think, in spite of its reduced ability next to Han's Falcon, that Rey's Falcon is maybe somehow more fun to fly?  I can't quite put my finger on why, though.

I've flown against Rey and against Han, but not used either myself. I keep making lists and seeing if they fit in, but they seem just a few points over-costed compared to RZ2s and T70s. It's the same problem with the Big Bombers too.

If FFG increase the cost of the really-too-cheap RZ2s and T70s, then their big ships will be seen a lot more often.

Meanwhile, they burn down quickly and are not suitable as end-game ships, lacking the resilience, arc-dodging and hitting power of Rebel Han or the action economy of Rebel Lando. Rey seems the best, and flown as cheaply as possible with no upgrades at all so you can fit in enough RZ2s or T70s to keep the list working!

Funny thing about resistance yt1300 is I keep forgetting it exists

Between the rebel and scum yts, I think I'm burnt out on frieghters 😧

Also the issue of its competition with the bomber, a markedly clunkier but cheaper (10 points!) ship. Generally, it seems the bomber is a far more capable support ship due to its pricing and tech, while the yt only sports double crew (and a dial better than one of the worst in the game) as advantages

But perhaps the biggest issue with the resistance yt: Chewie's ability is SUPER bleh and Han's is memelord tier. You're basically shoe horned into Rey like the entirety of the resistance at the end of TLJ!

And honestly, why would you do that when you could play the vastly more hilarious Vennie? 

If you want a funny combo, though, Old Han crew and Finn gunner make a hilarious tag team. And hey, the MF title will even forgive that first stress!

Remember, it's one evade + one for every r1 enemy (so two if you catch a guy at r1!)

Rey (80)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)
Shield Upgrade (4)
Rey’s Millennium Falcon (5)

Han Solo (76)
C-3PO (6)
Tactical Officer (2)
Hotshot Gunner (7)
Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

I've really been enjoying this double YT list. It is paper thing but does a lot of damage quickly, also benefits from i6 coordinate. I love stripping tokens with Han and having Rey blast with double mods. 

11 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Generally, it seems the bomber is a far more capable support ship due to its pricing and tech, while the yt only sports double crew (and a dial better than one of the worst in the game) as advantages

And access to talents. Heroic isn't bad, especially paired with Finn & Rose. Heroic is very cheap because it assumes you 'can't' use it on a single-agility ship; with Finn you roll a blank, add a blank, reroll both of them, and - if one of them is still useless - grab a free target lock.

Han's ability is hardly amazing, but you're essentially paying for the initiative 6. 

The first thing I put on the table when Resistance dropped was Rey/Poe.  It hit pretty hard, felt like a warm, comfortable sweater....then I played a second game...the moth-chewed holes started to form.  I think I've played a total of 3-5 games with the Resistance Falcon and kind of felt like I didn't like large bases anymore.  Rey with Finn/Rose is pretty dumb, but I don't know how I can get 100+ points worth of value out of her before she dies.

After this weekend, though, I am going to start playing both Rey and Han.  I've not really given them a fair shake.  I don't think they're currently competitive, but with the Transports coming out and a points change in a couple months...who knows.  Han's ability is silly, but can make it fun.

3 hours ago, gennataos said:

The first thing I put on the table when Resistance dropped was Rey/Poe.  It hit pretty hard, felt like a warm, comfortable sweater....then I played a second game...the moth-chewed holes started to form.  I think I've played a total of 3-5 games with the Resistance Falcon and kind of felt like I didn't like large bases anymore.  Rey with Finn/Rose is pretty dumb, but I don't know how I can get 100+ points worth of value out of her before she dies.

After this weekend, though, I am going to start playing both Rey and Han.  I've not really given them a fair shake.  I don't think they're currently competitive, but with the Transports coming out and a points change in a couple months...who knows.  Han's ability is silly, but can make it fun.

Yea, Rey is a glass cannon, but she can deal out copious amounts of damage. You pretty much NEED to murder 100 points of stuff from your opponent (or more) to make her worth it. 

I played it some when the resistance first came out, and I am of the opinion that Han + Rey gunner is better than Rey pilot. Gaining the initiative ( and a janky ability that actually had much more good use than I expected) with access to force just felt... good for the same cost. 

I think it's actually in a very good spot within the resistance (that plus two seems to be decent), the issue is more that large base ships aside from the Upsilon are still struggling. With the current meta, having more ships for more shots is just... better... than having one large base which can dish out a solitary shot and still bite the dust in one or two rounds. The ship itself is well priced and balanced, just isn't really worth it to take it for serious play. I did find it to be way more interesting to play than the Rebel Han though. He just feels straightforard and stale, while new Han can provide for some pretty hilarious situations if the opponent doesen't set up well. 

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

I'd love if this the ship was buffed in price, so FFG could test if three 3-red turrets could be acceptable within a squad.  3x Torpedo E-wings wound up not being a problem.

It would be the first step towards triple Ghost being legal so I'm in