Sign in to follow this  
heychadwick

Electro-Proto Bomb

Okay, I love this thing. It's a giant EMP that deals random damage and status effects. They couldn't have designed this better especially with the new fuse mechanic! I really hope this is pricey, but I can totally see ships/lists built around this thing.

I don't think there will be a single Epic game played where this isn't taken.

Posted (edited)

I think it's horribly designed because it's WAY too random

Pro: it's good that every die face does something in theory

Cons:

1.) Shield removal only does anything if the ship has shields (hi Fangs/Torrents etc.)

2.) Against medium/large ships, Ions can easily inflict too few tokens to remain worthless for the entirety of the game, unless you specifically put more ion in your list

3.) Crit --> weapon disabled is a stupidly HUGE swing

4.) launching this thing is going to create a ridiculous zone of denial. Sacrificing a Hyena is a tiny price to pay.

fortunately it cannot be reloaded

Edited by ficklegreendice

They also have a second Fuse token in the spread and mentioned there are going to be other cards that play with it—and it sounded like at least one in the Hyena spread.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a non-device upgrade that allows you to add a fuse to any bomb you’re dropping.

18 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see a non-device upgrade that allows you to add a fuse to any bomb you’re dropping.

That would make a lot of sense given the upcoming Bombardment Drone.  If he launches a mine using a 1 straight, it would be very good to put a fuse token on it so the drone can fly over it that round without detonating the mine.

41 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

They also have a second Fuse token in the spread and mentioned there are going to be other cards that play with it—and it sounded like at least one in the Hyena spread.

I'd expect so and I hope it's not sep only it's a really interesting mechanic.

1 hour ago, Caduceus01 said:

Personally I hate the new bomb. I really hope it’s 15+ points. You should not be able to deal out weapon disabled tokens to enemy ships. 

I would say more like 5-8maybe 10. Here's why

Pros:

1.) You can get half points on low hull low shield ships(I.E. A-wing)

2.) You have the potential to ionize and disarm all ships and get shields as well on medium and small base ships.

Cons:

1.) It needs a reload action, but can't be reloaded

2.) Your opponent has two activation phases to get clear of it. This means that your timing and positioning has to be spot on to get this bomb off.

3.) It's indiscriminate. This bomb has the same potential against your ships that it does against theirs.

4.) It relies on dice. This is HUGE! This means that it could roll all blanks on a ship with no shields or all crits on a ship that didn't have any shots. It could even get 1 less ion then was necessary to put that ship into your kill box and swing the game.

Conclusion:

This upgrade has a high ceiling but a rickety ladder. And it smells better than it tastes.

2 minutes ago, Orcdruid said:

This upgrade has a high ceiling but a rickety ladder. And it smells better than it tastes.

These metaphors are great.

1 hour ago, Archangelspiv said:

If they ever give Nym the reload action, this could get very interesting. 

Have Nym roll with Emon + Andrasta + Boba Crew. Have Emon start on a rock to drop the bomb in a spot with the best area denial to best screw with maneuvers. Let the fuse burn, then drop a proton with Emon the other direction making that a bad lane as well, then let the opponent choose which bad lane they want.

2 minutes ago, Orcdruid said:

I would say more like 5-8maybe 10. Here's why

Pros:

1.) You can get half points on low hull low shield ships(I.E. A-wing)

2.) You have the potential to ionize and disarm all ships and get shields as well on medium and small base ships.

Cons:

1.) It needs a reload action, but can't be reloaded

2.) Your opponent has two activation phases to get clear of it. This means that your timing and positioning has to be spot on to get this bomb off.

3.) It's indiscriminate. This bomb has the same potential against your ships that it does against theirs.

4.) It relies on dice. This is HUGE! This means that it could roll all blanks on a ship with no shields or all crits on a ship that didn't have any shots. It could even get 1 less ion then was necessary to put that ship into your kill box and swing the game.

Conclusion:

All of the above is why its a dumb *** design, NPE, lame addition to the game. Its all gonna be based on luck and will determine who wins the game if 3 ships get disarmed, or half the squad loses 3 shields each. Not looking forward to this at all. Pretty much going to ruin casual night Xwing as every jank squad will carrying one for funsies. Competitive players will use it as a area denial, and if it gets popular, be the death of swarms, and lead to high hull, medium and large base ships that can b-roll and boost to safety and if caught, not care about an ion or two.

I really despise a range 2 bomb that can give ions and disarm tokens, two of the worse NPE effects in the game. One disarm token can change a game, just like IWSYTDS in 1st edition.

1 minute ago, wurms said:

All of the above is why its a dumb *** design, NPE, lame addition to the game. Its all gonna be based on luck and will determine who wins the game if 3 ships get disarmed, or half the squad loses 3 shields each.

Why is half your squad at range 2 of a bomb that takes an entire extra turn to go off?

You know you get to see which ship has it equipped when the game starts, too, right?

22 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

Read Nym again. He works on any friendly bomb, not just his. He just needs a Y-wing wingman to bring this along.

I was more thinking about Tragedy Simming it into the middle of the board.  Cut off a large chunk of space  

I have toyed with a list already with Emon and Nym, leaving 8 points for this device. 

I think it’s scare factor is a lot more value than its control out put. It’s just too random to predict what to dial in to take advantage of it. 

46 minutes ago, svelok said:

Why is half your squad at range 2 of a bomb that takes an entire extra turn to go off?

You know you get to see which ship has it equipped when the game starts, too, right?

The round it gets launched, you set your dials not sure if the bomb will get launched/dropped or not. You really have one turn to set your dials and run for the hills. This bomb will hit, and hit a lot. There are obstacles, other ships, your ships stressed, more bombs from other ships, all playing a role in escape routes. All those sorry sacks that like to fly ships like khiraxz  and Bwings and Ywings and ARCs and bunch of other slow ships without a boost are gonna be the big losers. With range 1 bomb, you can go slow enough to avoid the range 1 explosion, or even just boost or b-roll to safety.  Range 2 though? Crazyness. 

The round it gets launched, if you move into the range 2 bubble, a lot of ships are screwed unless you have 1 sharp b-roll, or double reposition.

No escape next turn

m5dQtyF.png?1

Range 2 is a 5-straight, so even if you are on top of the bomb, if you dont have a 5 straight or a boost action, you are not getting out of range 2 bubble.

j6059Ox.png?1

@wurms in your example the escape for that Y-wing is to barrel roll back then next turn, bank out and barrel roll away. Assumong of course it doesn't have R4 astromech. If it does it's options open up considerably.

3 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

If they ever give Nym the reload action, this could get very interesting. 

All Nym has to do is be in the same list as a Y-Wing or Andrasta with the EP Bomb.  He can still delay it even if it’s not his bomb, just so long as it’s a “friendly” bomb.

5 minutes ago, It’s One Of Ours said:

All Nym has to do is be in the same list as a Y-Wing or Andrasta with the EP Bomb.  He can still delay it even if it’s not his bomb, just so long as it’s a “friendly” bomb.

Scum can't launch them though which is what I think they were getting at.

Just now, Hiemfire said:

Scum can't launch them though which is what I think they were getting at.

True.  

I believe the list of ships that will be able to launch this thing consists of... Punisher, and the Resistance Star Behemoth...?  Am I missing any?

I get why people are excited by this thing, but not really getting why people seem so worried about it. It's gonna be a very niche upgrade IMO, and unless it's dirt cheap, it wont see any meta play at all. If you're investing into the area denial bombs afford, one turn of denial just isn't very much. If you want to control where your enemy goes you're probably better off with seismics or proton bombs, because you can use them more than once, which feels much more potent in terms of control.

it is nice to see a bomb that will mess up epic ships quite nicely though.

Posted (edited)

I love the idea of this bomb. It is such a unique design instead of just dealing damage. I'm happy to see FFG branching into other design space. Even if it doesn't blow up on any enemy ships the potential disruption you have created for your opponent's plans may be well worth it. 

15 minutes ago, It’s One Of Ours said:

True.  

I believe the list of ships that will be able to launch this thing consists of... Punisher, and the Resistance Star Behemoth...?  Am I missing any?

Zuvio can launch it (1 forward or 2 forward with bomber crew), Scurrg can launch it (title required), aggressor can launch it

Edited by Skitch_

Just now, Skitch_ said:

I love the idea of this bomb. It is so unique. Even if it doesn't blow up on any enemy ships the potential disruption you have created for your opponent's plans may be well worth it. 

Zuvio can launch it (1 forward or 2 forward with bomber crew), Scurrg can launch it (title required), aggressor can launch it

Requires the reload action to equip...

23 minutes ago, It’s One Of Ours said:

True.  

Hyena is also very likely. It is coming with Passive Sensors so will likely have the sensor slot.