CyberClaw

Ground Vehicles provide heavy or light cover? (rules contradict themselves)

Posted (edited)

On page 24 of the 1.30 Rules Reference it says:

Ground vehicles provide light or heavy cover to units that they obscure.

Without further clarification on how we decide is a vehicle gives light or heavy cover.

On the AT-ST picture in page 25 it seems to give an example:

When checking line of sight, a defending mini obscured by this zone will benefit from light cover.

Yet in the page 26 it says:

If the obscured minis are obscured by a ground vehicle, that unit has light cover

So what is it? Just light cover? Or it depends on the unit? And if so, which units provide heavy cover?

Edited by CyberClaw

The last sentence of area terrain on pg 9.

Generally, emplacements and walking vehicles with legs provide light cover, while wheeled or treaded vehicles provide heavy cover.

Well it says 2 different things in 2 different pages. One page says light or heavy, the other says light only. So I can't go by what it explicitly says, although since I haven't found any explanation on how it'd work, I'm guessing all there is left is assuming all vehicles give light cover. Which lead to my question as I might be missing something.

1 minute ago, CyberClaw said:

Well it says 2 different things in 2 different pages. One page says light or heavy, the other says light only. So I can't go by what it explicitly says, although since I haven't found any explanation on how it'd work, I'm guessing all there is left is assuming all vehicles give light cover. Which lead to my question as I might be missing something.

If they provide Light cover, then they are providing "light or heavy" cover, so it still works by the rules as (poorly in this case) written.

1 minute ago, CyberClaw said:

It says they give light or heavy cover, then explicitly says they give light cover. That's how it is, for now.

The important point to this debate is on page 9 of the RRG:

When an attacker is checking line of sight, ground vehicles and emplacement troopers are treated as area terrain, and can provide cover in this way. When determining cover provided by one of these units, treat the unit's base as the outer edge of the terrain and the highest point of the unit's mini as the top of the zone that provides cover. Generally, emplacements and walking vehicles with legs provide light cover, while wheeled or treaded vehicles provide heavy cover.

44 minutes ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

The important point to this debate is on page 9 of the RRG:

When an attacker is checking line of sight, ground vehicles and emplacement troopers are treated as area terrain, and can provide cover in this way. When determining cover provided by one of these units, treat the unit's base as the outer edge of the terrain and the highest point of the unit's mini as the top of the zone that provides cover. Generally, emplacements and walking vehicles with legs provide light cover, while wheeled or treaded vehicles provide heavy cover.

It says "generally," then later explicitly says that they all give Light Cover. They clearly forgot to update it for a treaded vehicle actually being released.

But it also says that a ground vehicle is treated as a piece of terrain for the attacker when the defender is obscured by it. And the heavy cover part is under the area terrain secton of the rr book.

15 hours ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

Generally, emplacements and walking vehicles with legs provide light cover, while wheeled or treaded vehicles provide heavy cover.

Thanks. This was the bit I was looking for. It shows not only how it works right now, but how it'll work when it's updated for threaded vehicles.