Sign in to follow this  
JPierson

Courage Value Question

So I just quickly want to know something about courage value. If it is one in a squad and there is 5 models in that squad, does that mean it is 5? So when the squad drops to 4 models, it becomes 4 and so on? It just seems like it sucks that if they get 2 suppression tokens, they are panicked. Thanks everyone!

13 minutes ago, TalkPolite said:

It’s whatever the value is for the whole squad. Remember that if you are in your commanders courage bubble (range 3), you use their courage to check for panic. 

but not suppression

18 minutes ago, JPierson said:

So I just quickly want to know something about courage value. If it is one in a squad and there is 5 models in that squad, does that mean it is 5? So when the squad drops to 4 models, it becomes 4 and so on? It just seems like it sucks that if they get 2 suppression tokens, they are panicked. Thanks everyone!

The courage is 1 if that's what is printed on the card.  Unless you gave that unit an officer upgrade or you are in your commander's courage bubble

They are not necessarily panicked by getting 2 suppression tokens, They have to activate first, and rally, and then, if they still have 2 tokens, they would panic. 

It just adds to the realism of the game, when under fire, you don't just stand there and until you're all dead, you'll move and try to get away, and you might even take yourself out of the fight.

As far as it sucking, you've got to avoid unnecessary shots, stay behind cover and keep units within command range. It's also a viable tactic against your opponents, even if you don't kill all of the figures, if you can force enough suppression, they might run out of position. 

30 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

The courage is 1 if that's what is printed on the card.  Unless you gave that unit an officer upgrade or you are in your commander's courage bubble

They are not necessarily panicked by getting 2 suppression tokens, They have to activate first, and rally, and then, if they still have 2 tokens, they would panic. 

It just adds to the realism of the game, when under fire, you don't just stand there and until you're all dead, you'll move and try to get away, and you might even take yourself out of the fight.

As far as it sucking, you've got to avoid unnecessary shots, stay behind cover and keep units within command range. It's also a viable tactic against your opponents, even if you don't kill all of the figures, if you can force enough suppression, they might run out of position. 

Good points. I hadn't considered that there are many chances to get rid of suppression and I have to up my game by keeping my forces together so they can use the commanders courage rating. Thank you!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JPierson said:

Good points. I hadn't considered that there are many chances to get rid of suppression and I have to up my game by keeping my forces together so they can use the commanders courage rating. Thank you!

This was the hardest part for me to figure out when I first started playing but after a while I think I've figured it out.  I got 8 suppression tokens on Han one turn where i had to work everything out.  I like it better than some systems I've played though because there is some benefit as well to having suppression. It does take a few games to get used to it and reading and rereading the rules really makes a difference how you play the game or where to position certain units, etc.

Edited by buckero0

3 hours ago, TalkPolite said:

Yes that’s why I said panic :P

yeah, I was just making the distinction because the OP sounded like he was new to the game and it took me several rules readings and several games before I truly wrapped my head around the courage system.