jordythebevan

Online Play

Hi,

My gaming group has recently had a couple of people move interstate and over seas. I was wondering what people in similar situations were doing to keep the games going?
How have you found using Skype or Roll 20 or something else?
Any programs that you have used or hints you might have would be great.

I use Discord. I do not use maps and so I do not need to share any visuals. If I need to show them a picture of the enemy, then I just share it in the channel. I have been doing this for several years now. First with Star Wars and now with Genesys and it works out great for us.

Posted (edited)

I use roll20 for the visual aids and music and discord for voice communication and dice roller. You can do it all through roll20 but their APIs tend to break down and require a reset after a couple of  hours. And, that gets old fast.

@SkyJedi has made some really cool online resources. I’d recommend checking those out sometime.

Edited by AnomalousAuthor

Posted (edited)

A combo of Discord, Roll20 and a few apps for sharing docs etc worked quite well for previous online play, think the Discord forum's still there but my Discord seems broke at the moment, could just be as I've not popped in there for a while!

Look for the 'Dreamwalkers of Mennara' threads for some more info and tips on how this was run.

Edited by Watercolour Dragon

I've been using Skype and Fantasy Grounds.  It's what we use for our live plays on The Brewery on thursday nights at 8pm CST and other online games that I play.  I've used Discord and Roll20 but it seems like the audio and video settings need to be tweeked everytime we start it up.  😃

Z

We use a combination of Fantasy Grounds and Skype. Fantasy Grounds has a dice roller and rules set for FFG games that are pretty fantastic. Only problem is that it is expensive for the GM. If you only have one person running games though you can just all chip in. Players can use the free version without any problems. 

I've played in a couple Genesys campaigns (and played and ran numerous Star Wars games) on Gamersplane. It has built in character sheets, built in dice roller for the NDS, character avatar capabilities, image sharing capabilities for maps. All you need to run an asynchronous, long distance game.

On 4/29/2019 at 8:36 PM, thedonnie said:

I use Discord. I do not use maps and so I do not need to share any visuals. If I need to show them a picture of the enemy, then I just share it in the channel. I have been doing this for several years now. First with Star Wars and now with Genesys and it works out great for us.

Discord's been fantastic with channels for journals and the Genesys bot for rolling. Due to the fact that Genesys uses mostly range bands, I haven't really felt the need to use maps. I also use the tarot bot too for randomizing content and coming up with encounter ideas.

I've used maptool, roll20 and fantasy grounds and very rarely play face to face these days due to work.

I prefer currently prefer fantasy grounds as its a once off cost and the community is very helpful and friendly. 

Comms wise, discord is good but does have its moments when the quality drops, although I do think it is better than skype.