drail14me

Make Armada digital for points and slots...

What are your thoughts on taking Armada digital for points and slots? 

I’d like to see it happen and would be satisfied with a simple introduction.

Basically, just release an app with points and slots. Then release a FAQ with instructions to ignore points and upgrade slots printed on cards. Official play would you the digital data while casual play could still use printed points if they wanted. 

6 minutes ago, drail14me said:

Basically, just release an app with points and slots. Then release a FAQ with instructions to ignore points and upgrade slots printed on cards. Official play would you the digital data while casual play could still use printed points if they wanted. 

Would save a lot of time before play!!

But why ignore the printed versions? Just release the app as an official alternative, so everyone can play as they prefer.

Maybe even wirh possibility to link two devices that all exhausts etc. are automatically readied when next round is starting!?!

29 minutes ago, M0N0LITH said:

Would save a lot of time before play!!

But why ignore the printed versions? Just release the app as an official alternative, so everyone can play as they prefer.

Maybe even wirh possibility to link two devices that all exhausts etc. are automatically readied when next round is starting!?!

If no cards were reprinted then there would have to be a FAQ that either instructed you to ignore printed costs or to get all costs digitally. There would have to be a rule stating which points were the tournament legal points.

For me, I really like seeing all the info on the table, I feel like I would loose track if it is on a phone or a tablet.

but if we had a digital 3'x6' table to play on, that would cool ( especially for accurate measuring)

6 hours ago, drail14me said:

Id hope not, as I have ZERO way to play it then, Im not going to get a tablet ON TOP of the game just to play. It just seems stupid

Posted (edited)

@LostFleet @Zeoinx

When I say digital, I don't mean you have to have some device to play it. You still play the game the same. Everything is on the table the same. If you use an online fleet builder to build your lists, that stays the same. Only thing that changes is that FFG would update points and slots every six months like they do in X-wing. You can get those updated points either through a PDF file from FFG (https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/f1/24/f124ed5c-fcb1-4a1c-b2e0-6420b2eeb0b7/onlinepoints_rebelalliance_wave3.pdf)

Or you just use your regular online fleet builder or fleet builder app just like normal as they will update points for you. Works great in X-Wing. Super simple.

Edited by drail14me

After they ironed out the kinks with the official app, X-wing's handled the shift to digital pretty well. The biggest issue I've seen was a third party app glitching on "hardpoints" (A cannon/missile/torpedo ability the T-70 X-wing and the Scyk have) leading to an illegal list having to be disqualified late in a tourney, but Armada has no equivalent, so such software glitches like that are less likely. There is a certain portion of the community who find the mutability of point costs very frustrating, though.

9 hours ago, LostFleet said:

For me, I really like seeing all the info on the table, I feel like I would loose track if it is on a phone or a tablet.

but if we had a digital 3'x6' table to play on, that would cool ( especially for accurate measuring)

There cards are still on the table, with all relevant info. No change there.

Only fleet building is impacted. But no one builds fleet without an app anyway, so where is the difference? :)

Also, Vassal and TTS :D

4 hours ago, Squark said:

There is a certain portion of the community who find the mutability of point costs very frustrating, though.

I find the changes exiting.

And much preferable to being stuck with the same stuff being undercosted or overcosted, with no real way to change things around. Like say Armada or X-wing 1.0 :D

I would love the change and hope it will happen someday. 

A great way to reprice the under- and overcosted stuff and it will also make changes to the meta game every once in a while even without a new release. 

Wouldn't it be great to see something like commander Leia taken to a tournament and perform well?

13 hours ago, drail14me said:

I can only speak for myself, but if they did I am done. I will not play a table top game that requires an app or anything of the sort.

44 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

There cards are still on the table, with all relevant info. No change there.

Only fleet building is impacted. But no one builds fleet without an app anyway, so where is the difference? :)

Also, Vassal and TTS :D

I build fleets all the time without an app, wait for it I do not have an app to build fleets so I am 100% of the time building with out an app.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

I do.

If I didn’t have a smart phone I would too.  BUT: The fleet builder app is a nice way to build fleets without having to pull your cards out every time you just want to try something.

I’m not against digital tools that make things easier - I am against being forced to use an app for a Boardgame.

Like others, for the game itself I want cards to the table, not a device I have to scroll through.  Honestly, I’m feeling a bit burned out on smart phones.  I’m seriously considering going back to a basic one for a bit.

Edited by Kani Kantai

One thing I will add....not every gaming venue has reliable internet... and enough plug sockets!

When WM/H app  was released PP where saying you didnt need anything else to play... before 3 months was over PP had to release a tournament rules amendment saying you had to still have your cards with you due to the above reasons.... 

So yeah by all means release an app but dont let it over ride (or give the impression of replacing) good old fashioned pen & paper.

19 hours ago, drail14me said:

Only if it was usable offline. FFG had the foresight to completely ignore that aspect on the X-wing builder, so if you made lists while you had Wifi access but didn't screen cap 'em for the event which doesn't, good ******' luck. 

@slasher956 @Kani Kantai @CDAT  I don't think you guys understand how this works. You are NOT required to have an app. You are NOT required to have a tablet or device on a table. Nothing changes with game setup or game play. All cards go on the table as normal.

The only thing that will change is in the fleet building process IF you are one of those that does it with pencil and paper. If so, instead of looking on a card for slots and points, you'll download a PDF from FFG that lists slots and points. IF you are posting on this form, then you already have the ability to do that. So, you don't have to buy a device or anything. Here is a link to the X-Wing points and slots for the Rebels https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/f1/24/f124ed5c-fcb1-4a1c-b2e0-6420b2eeb0b7/onlinepoints_rebelalliance_wave3.pdf

What this does is allow FFG to vary points and slots every 6 months. This lets them adjust a ship or upgrade that's a little cheap or a little expensive. It also lets them change up upgrade slots for some variety in builds. It simply makes the game more flexible instead for printing FAQs and errata.

1 minute ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Only if it was usable offline. FFG had the foresight to completely ignore that aspect on the X-wing builder, so if you made lists while you had Wifi access but didn't screen cap 'em for the event which doesn't, good ******' luck. 

I don't use the official X-Wing FFG app for that very reason. However, I DO use Launch Bay Next, a free fan made app that DOES work offline and out performs everything else. Works great. For Armada, I use Armada Fleet Builder app, also free, which works offline. These app developers are able to get the points file from FFG and simply import it into their app.

ok, I see the confusion...... I work in IT ... and when people say take something digital they mean an Application or process that's ENTIRELY on a smart device /pc /cloud etc etc...*

So what you are talking about is a updated centrally stored referance file

These are 2 different things in my world.... 

*eg Britian is 'making tax digital' which is taking it ALL online no offline methodology at all..... see where the confusion comes from 😛 

2 minutes ago, slasher956 said:

ok, I see the confusion...... I work in IT ... and when people say take something digital they mean an Application or process that's ENTIRELY on a smart device /pc /cloud etc etc...*

So what you are talking about is a updated centrally stored referance file

These are 2 different things in my world.... 

*eg Britian is 'making tax digital' which is taking it ALL online no offline methodology at all..... see where the confusion comes from 😛 

Right, a centrally stored reference file. How you access it is up to you but access is free.

Now the confusion is sorted... all your doing is making an app for some people to use and saving the rest of us 2 mins of time from looking through the errata file

To me this comes across as buzzword city :(  not really changing anything but doing stuff with buzz words added.... you know like moving companies data off internet accessible servers and into the cloud......:unsure:

8 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

I do.

No one was incorrect, but my estimation would be that 95-99% of people do.  In fact, I've never personally encountered another player that sits down with a notebook to make their fleets.  The switch to an app-based, points-fluid environment *is* coming, so be prepared.

No.

I intensely dislike the idea of having to rely on FFG for modified points and slots. As is, I can look across the table and know exactly how many points that ship is worth. With this I would have to ask my opponent or look it up online. 

Plus, what happens if FFG decides to discontinue support?

Call me old fashioned, but just no.

1 hour ago, JauntyChapeau said:

No one was incorrect, but my estimation would be that 95-99% of people do.  In fact, I've never personally encountered another player that sits down with a notebook to make their fleets.  The switch to an app-based, points-fluid environment *is* coming, so be prepared.

As it should. Makes things easier to balance after nerfing, buffing, or under/over costing initially. Not something to do lightly, maybe twice a year for a points balance. 

27 minutes ago, Darth Lupine said:

I intensely dislike the idea of having to rely on FFG for modified points and slots. As is, I can look across the table and know exactly how many points that ship is worth. With this I would have to ask my opponent or look it up online. 

If you don't mind me asking, how do you feel about FAQ/Errata? Those are similarly online only, with only a few cards being reprinted with the new text (Rhymer Alt Art is the only one I can think of off the top of my head). It seems like the points value would be even less of an issue. If you and your opponent choose to, you can completely ignore the online rules and just use the printed point values (without the benefit of the balancing that the updated points cost reflect). If FFG discontinues Armada or goes out of business, the last PDF should still be available (somewhere online) or the printed card values could be used. This isn't directed at you exclusively @Darth Lupine, I'm just trying to understand why people dislike the option.