Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RLogue177

Group resource for an upcoming campaign

Recommended Posts

I am starting up a new campaign soon. I expect to have four or five solid players. It will be an Edge game with Obligations.

So far, the PCs consist of a Gungan melee guy and a Gotal scientist guy who has discovered he is Force sensitive. (I expect he will be the only Force sensitive character.)

I want the game to be centered in one location, at least to begin with - a large, cosmopolitan city in the Outer Rim with a firm Imperial presence. The characters will come together in the initial adventure, but none of that will be fully hammered out until our Session Zero. 

I am giving some thought to what sort of group resource they will have. I do not want to give them a ship (unless it is junk and would need a lot of repairs to fly again). A holocron or Force mentor would be of no use to most of the PCs.

What non-standard group resources have you all had/handed out in your games? A stash of extra money? The favor of a Hutt? A treasure map?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's mostly an EotE campaign, you could use the rules for business and Homestead from Far Horizon. Basically is a common obligation and if I recall correctly 50K credits (Instead of a ship) invested in a local business or property.

You mention a cosmopolitan city in the Outer Rim, So I imagine a business could be interesting. 

1 hour ago, RLogue177 said:

What non-standard group resources have you all had/handed out in your games? A stash of extra money? The favor of a Hutt? A treasure map?

To answer this particular question, I worked in a west marches (or open table) type of campaign, where the PC didn't start with one ship, but due to the story we were playing, they have access to different vehicles (YT-1300, several Y-wing fighters, Firesrpayer). They all lived as guests in a Nebulon-B frigate, as outlaws hiding with a mercenary group.

1 hour ago, RLogue177 said:

I am giving some thought to what sort of group resource they will have. I do not want to give them a ship (unless it is junk and would need a lot of repairs to fly again).

 

Try to speak with your group first (like, read the room if you don't want to reveal details of your story). I would be on board with a ship that needs to be repaired, but on the other hand, other players might feel cheated if they could choose a ship a functional ship at char gen, according to the rules.

Good luck and let us know how it works!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd second a business, or maybe points on an operation. Early game, it'd be more interesting and offer more plot potential to be failing or under threat from rivals. Nothing urgent, necessarily; it can hang over the player's heads for a while or until the party resolves issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Others have mentioned a Shop that gives the PCs a base. A ship could be a couple of ground vehicles that serve a similar purpose as ship. A Mentor could be re-skinned as a Crime Boss that gives a little discount on a the initial purchase of a few first rank Talents. A Holocron could be a local that helps the PC's out with their knowledge giving them info and the ability to purchase a couple of Skills as if they were Career Skills. Or maybe a Fence who gives them 5% better sale and purchase price on stolen stuff. Just look at what those bonuses do rather than what they are called and you'll see what seems to fit.

Edited by FuriousGreg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FuriousGreg said:

Others have mentioned a Shop that gives the PCs a base. A ship could be a couple of ground vehicles that serve a similar purpose as ship. A Mentor could be re-skinned as a Crime Boss that gives a little discount on a the initial purchase of a few first rank Talents. A Holocron could be a local that helps the PC's out with their knowledge giving them info and the ability to purchase a couple of Skills as if they were Career Skills. Or maybe a Fence who gives them 5% better sale and purchase price on stolen stuff. Just look at what those bonuses do rather than what they are called and you'll see what seems to fit.

3

Great suggestions. To the last part, perhaps a contact that allows you to buy items (legal or black market) with a Rarity reduction. Perhaps 1 or 2 points, maintaining the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...