Sign in to follow this  
Jedu

How to effectively modify dice - Maul and Dooku

I have been in the hereinunder described scenario many times and I really don't know what should I, from mathematical perspective, do. In which order should I modify my dice.

Darth Maul shoots against a target in range 2. He has 4 Force, target lock and Dooku crew available. He has another target in arc,so he will want to take a shot against a second target. So, usually I do this:

-take a first shot without modifications against locked target,

- if I roll 2 hits/crits and 1 eye, I use 1 Force token to modify that eye, leaving myself with 3 Firce tokens remaining;

- if I roll more than 1 blank/eye, I take all dice,that aren't hits/crits and reroll them with TL, using Dooku on that dice roll;

- I modify dice with Force,if needed, to leave myself with 2 remainig Force tokens;

- then I take an unmodified shot against the second target.

I know that there are many strategical factors, that have influence on the decision process, e.g. is the target shieldless and you want to push that hit through, are they able to shoot you back, will you be in a better position to have a second shot next round, etc.

Moreover, rerolling a single dice and using Dooku then seems like a bit if a waste of mods. 

I think that not using Dooku on the first roll is a good idea, because:

- I may roll 3 blanks/eyes, so it is better to use TL and than Dooku,

- the more dice you roll,the bigger the chance that you roll a crit and then Dooku will not change anything.

So, what do you think? How would you proceed in such a situation? Maybe someone has done maths for that kind of situation? 

I don't see a need to gamble with Dooku crew on a Maul Infiltrator- take him for his extra force, not ability. Especially if you already have a target lock, it is just a waste of Force to try to get an extra hit rather than spend the TL and just re-roll (and as @thespaceinvader said, Dooku doesn't work with re-rolls). In your scenario, spend the TL and then up to two Force to mod the results- that gives you the option to still take another, although unmodded, shot afterwards.

Most of the time I'll go all out on the first attack as I don't really want to be spending all that Force on another shot unless I have to.  In general I find that using mods while you have them is just easier than worrying about it and not having the opportunity later anyway.

Edited by __underscore__

3 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Dooku does not work on rerolls, rerolls are not rolls, so your whole thing doesn't work.

How come? The card says, before the ship rolls the dice, etc. Reroll isn't a roll?

13 minutes ago, Jedu said:

How come? The card says, before the ship rolls the dice, etc. Reroll isn't a roll?

Correct.  A reroll is not a roll, it is a reroll.  Things which work on rolls do not work on rerolls, and vice versa.  They are distinct rules things, despite being the same physical activity.

Fire 3 dice at an unlocked target and Dooku a crit: 2/3 times it will change a pre-existing die result into a crit. This is extremely helpful if a focus or a blank is your worse result. Congratulations, your diverse force-user is now Rey!

Spend the other 2 force to proc the attack on the locked target, preferably a range 1 one.

Dooku is cool as an extra force point, but you can essentially use him as offensive C3-PO. Or, as others suggested, as a hyper-Luminara against enemies that don't have reroll mechanics. But the worse application of him is waiting to use his ability, finding out that you need to spend some force, and then realizing that you can't use his ability as it is only when he is at full force. Thus, don't fly doocrew unless you have hate or use him as the only force-user on a non-force sensitive infiltrator.

22 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

It does.

Rolls and rerolls are different things in the rules of the game.

Hey man, can you point out the section in the rules reference that notes this? Not seeing it myself but it would be good to have it available to reference. Like obviously the rrg notes that you can only reroll once but that's about iti think? 

Edited by Goseki1

7 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

It's not stated explicitly - and it probably should be, it comes up quite a lot - but in short, it's based on the fact that Roll Attack/Defence Dice and Modify Attack/Defence Dice are different steps - Rerolling is somethign you do during the latter, and is not the former.

Are you sure that's not just a carry over from 1.0 thinking though? Are there many examples of where it matters/happens? I suppose HLC? 

20 hours ago, Goseki1 said:

Are you sure that's not just a carry over from 1.0 thinking though? Are there many examples of where it matters/happens? I suppose HLC? 

Maybe I'll post it in the rules thread. I see that there was something in 1.0, that says that rerolling isn't rolling, but in 2.0 I don't see such rule. Rerolling means: pick up the die and roll it again. So, rolling is a part of rerolling ;)

I put this on rules thread but it might be easier to copy it here.

2 minutes ago, reqent said:

A reroll is a dice modification on page 9 so I agree that Dooku doesn't work that way.  In the attack step you roll first (a) then modify (b).  

Page 9 of the rules reference 

On 4/29/2019 at 10:30 AM, thespaceinvader said:

Basically everything involving things triggered by rolling attack or defence dice would be affected.

You can Dooku attack dice rolled for bombs ans obstacles.  Probably other things as well.  It says attack/defense dice not attacking or defending.