Samuel Richard

Need help making shotguns work

Posted (edited)

My next PC will be a fast moving shotgun rusher who hopes to deal crits and blast like insanity while also tanking a shot or two. I know shotguns in this system are few and far between and are generally garbage but I like a challenge. Have suggestions besides the ACP and hope for the best?

Edited by Samuel Richard

Combining a blaster rifle with a spread barrel from the EotE core rulebook provides a surprisingly effective combination, as you've still got good range and can boost up the Blast quality a decent amount.  Good add-ons are the forearm grip for Accurate and Point Blank, Weapon Sling for Quick-Draw, or Superior Weapon Customization for the extra damage and a free advantage (helpful for triggering that Blast quality).  Those together provide you a very potent shotgun-type weapon  Augmented Spin Barrel is also pretty good, but you'll only have enough hard points for that and the spread barrel.  It can get expensive, but in the end you've got a pretty worthwhile combat weapon that's good for single targets and taking out minion groups in a hurry.  Had a Mando Soldier/Commando in one game I was in that was brutally effective with his combat-grade blaster shotgun.

Forged in Battle has the beam splitter, which gives you Blast equal to half the weapon's base damage (rounded down) but lets you add ranks of Disorient.  It's also cheaper than the spread barrel, but takes an additional hard point.

On 4/25/2019 at 5:32 PM, Donovan Morningfire said:

Augmented Spin Barrel is also pretty good, but you'll only have enough hard points for that and the spread barrel.

Combined is deadly, but is a good idea to check with the gm first. Some (like myself) house-rule that attachments sharing the same identifier of type(barrel, sights, scope, grip, xciter, etc) would take up the same slot/area of the weapon.

I remember a story from Spoony, regarding the Jedi Hunter. In that video, he mentioned the Deck Sweeper stun blaster (see: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Deck_Sweeper_stun_blaster ). After a quick search, I found the following gun that could help your character.

Merr-Sonn AJ-23 Concussive Rifle
http://swrpg.viluppo.net/equipment/weapons/3276/ 

On 4/25/2019 at 11:35 PM, Samuel Richard said:

My next PC will be a fast moving shotgun rusher who hopes to deal crits and blast like insanity while also tanking a shot or two. I know shotguns in this system are few and far between and are generally garbage but I like a challenge. Have suggestions besides the ACP and hope for the best?

On 4/26/2019 at 2:32 AM, Donovan Morningfire said:

Combining a blaster rifle with a spread barrel from the EotE core rulebook provides a surprisingly effective combination, as you've still got good range and can boost up the Blast quality a decent amount.  Good add-ons are the forearm grip for Accurate and Point Blank, Weapon Sling for Quick-Draw, or Superior Weapon Customization for the extra damage and a free advantage (helpful for triggering that Blast quality).  Those together provide you a very potent shotgun-type weapon  Augmented Spin Barrel is also pretty good, but you'll only have enough hard points for that and the spread barrel.  It can get expensive, but in the end you've got a pretty worthwhile combat weapon that's good for single targets and taking out minion groups in a hurry.  Had a Mando Soldier/Commando in one game I was in that was brutally effective with his combat-grade blaster shotgun.

Forged in Battle has the beam splitter, which gives you Blast equal to half the weapon's base damage (rounded down) but lets you add ranks of Disorient.  It's also cheaper than the spread barrel, but takes an additional hard point.

On 4/27/2019 at 10:54 PM, Randy G said:

Combined is deadly, but is a good idea to check with the gm first. Some (like myself) house-rule that attachments sharing the same identifier of type(barrel, sights, scope, grip, xciter, etc) would take up the same slot/area of the weapon.

If you want to deal crits and blast like insanity, you could combine the spread barrel with a modified Enhanced XCiter attachment on a blaster rifle.

This way you lower the crit rating to 2 and the blast benefits from pierce 3, making it even more powerful.

And as a bonus you prevent discussions concerning two "barrel attachments".

(Use a Geonosian Blaster Rifle (Long Arm of the Hutt) to get to crit 1.)

8 hours ago, Stan Fresh said:

Trying for a Mass Effect-style vanguard?

Pretty much, get up to troublesome minion groups and cut them down to size with blast along with providing a obvious target while DPS's and Skill monkeys do their thing. Also controlling init.

On 4/30/2019 at 3:36 AM, shamp said:

The cheap option is the literal scatter gun Adostic Arms 8-Gauge Scatter Gun.

The better long term option is the double barrel Salus DF-D1 Duo-Flechette Rifle http://swrpg.viluppo.net/equipment/weapons/2241/

Its basically a double barreled shotgun, has linked because Yes. and Vicious 2. Heck need some Hardpoints? Its got 3.

I personally prefer the KS23 Hammer with 4 hardpoints and a little higher blast rating. Also, its probably not a coincidence that it shares a name with the KS23 shotgun. Granted, it's a slugthrower, so compared to a blaster the attachment options for increasing damage are almost nonexistent. Still, that leaves you free to focus on making it horrendously efficient up close; a forearm grip and an electronic sighting system can get you Accurate 2, reduced penalties for using it when engaged, aiming as an incidental and Point Blank 1. Not too shabby.

If you want to be sneaky, add a Slugthrower suppressor and go No country for old men on the opposition.

Want to capitalize on blast? Superior (also increases damage) and a laser sight adds 2 Advantage on a hit. Nice.

Or just add an underbarrel option for more firepower! A grenade launcher or missile rack gives you some range and versatility, an ion blaster can be modded to a cool 12 damage to deal with droids and the underbarrel flame projector combines a rather disturbingly high damage rating with the Burn quality.

But hey, since you like shotguns, why not go for the underslung scattergun and put a shotgun on your shotgun!

13 hours ago, penpenpen said:

I personally prefer the KS23 Hammer with 4 hardpoints and a little higher blast rating. Also, its probably not a coincidence that it shares a name with the KS23 shotgun. Granted, it's a slugthrower, so compared to a blaster the attachment options for increasing damage are almost nonexistent. Still, that leaves you free to focus on making it horrendously efficient up close; a forearm grip and an electronic sighting system can get you Accurate 2, reduced penalties for using it when engaged, aiming as an incidental and Point Blank 1. Not too shabby.

If you want to be sneaky, add a Slugthrower suppressor and go No country for old men on the opposition.

Want to capitalize on blast? Superior (also increases damage) and a laser sight adds 2 Advantage on a hit. Nice.

Or just add an underbarrel option for more firepower! A grenade launcher or missile rack gives you some range and versatility, an ion blaster can be modded to a cool 12 damage to deal with droids and the underbarrel flame projector combines a rather disturbingly high damage rating with the Burn quality.

But hey, since you like shotguns, why not go for the underslung scattergun and put a shotgun on your shotgun!

Good points and I love your idea with the underslung scattergun :-)

However, damage increasing attachments as Superior or the Augmented Spin Barrel do only increase the basic damage of the weapon never the damage of the Blast weapon quality, correct?

The laser sight can only be used on a "weapon that does not possess the Blast quality".

3 hours ago, Rogues Rule said:

However, damage increasing attachments as Superior or the Augmented Spin Barrel do only increase the basic damage of the weapon never the damage of the Blast weapon quality, correct?

Correct.

3 hours ago, Rogues Rule said:

The laser sight can only be used on a "weapon that does not possess the Blast quality".

Again correct. My bad.