Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ikka

Timing- Afterburners, Pattern Analyzer

Recommended Posts

So I was playing someone tonight who had Quickdraw with Afterburners and Pattern Analyzer (only upgrades relevant to my question). He dialed in a 3-sloop with Quickdraw, then did this next: Afterburners for a boost, Pattern Analyzer for a Focus linked to a Rotate Arc, then gain the stress from the 3-sloop. Was this timing done correctly? I don't fly FO, so I don't use Pattern Analyzer at all and am not familiar with the timing of the card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

indeed.

the timing is as follows:

reveal dial

execute maneuver (move ship)

use pattern analyzer (still executing the maneuver, before check difficulty, but after moving the ship)

gain stress from red s-loop. (check difficulty)

use afterburners (after executing maneuver)

perform action (no action during this step, since you're stressed)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Ikka said:

Was this timing done correctly?

Negative.

The timing is wrong, but the overall outcome is the same. 

3-sloop - > PA for Focus -> Link to Rotate -> Check difficulty -> Gain stress -> Maneuver complete -> Afterburners

Only difference possibly being he may not know if he needed to rotate his arc before boosting, but he would be forced to decide to do it then, and not after. 

 

Edited by Lyianx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Others have specified the order, but the key is to look at the wording on the card:

Pattern Analyser is while you perform a manoeuvre
Afterburners is after you perform

I got mixed up at first, too. Just meant Afterburners came off Nien Nunb and I had more points for toys elsewhere!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, webrooks2005 said:

What am I missing? PA says you may perform 1 action so how is he linking it to another action?

Because you can perform a linked action any time you perform the first action on your action bar. PA provides you with an opportunity to perform an action, and then performing that action gives you an opportunity to link another action to it (provided, of course, that you have appropriate linked actions).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webrooks2005 said:

What am I missing? PA says you may perform 1 action so how is he linking it to another action?

Rules Reference pg 12 under Linked Action

Quote

A linked action can be performed after performing the action it is attached to even if that action was granted by a card effect or other game effect.

The only reason you cannot perform a linked action after Advanced Sensors is because that upgrade specifically prevents you from performing more than the 1 action it grants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lyianx said:
12 hours ago, Lyianx said:

Rules Reference pg 12 under Linked Action

The only reason you cannot perform a linked action after Advanced Sensors is because that upgrade specifically prevents you from performing more than the 1 action it grants.

I don’t want to believe it, but under coordinate in the rules reference it says it the same way too, perform 1 action and you can link off that.  So there you go. Linked actions for all my friends. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about this? 

Ved Foslo executes a 3 bank. He focuses--> barrel rolls. Player then boosts via afterburners. 

Is this legal? We cannot agree. 

 

I don't think it's legal only because of the wording on afterburners that states "after"...to me that's proximate to removing the maneuver template. Am I wrong? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Scopes said:

What about this? 

Ved Foslo executes a 3 bank. He focuses--> barrel rolls. Player then boosts via afterburners. 

Is this legal? We cannot agree. 

 

I don't think it's legal only because of the wording on afterburners that states "after"...to me that's proximate to removing the maneuver template. Am I wrong? 

You're correct, the sequence here would be Maneuver > After Maneuver triggers > Action

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 8:42 PM, Scopes said:

I don't think it's legal only because of the wording on afterburners that states "after"...to me that's proximate to removing the maneuver template. Am I wrong? 

As Innese  stated, you are not wrong. But here is the rules reference that you can point to. 

Rules Reference pg 19. 

Quote

After: The effect resolves immediately following the timing specified.

In this case, the timing specified is "After you fully execute a speed 3-5 maneuver". 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lyianx said:

As Innese  stated, you are not wrong. But here is the rules reference that you can point to. 

Rules Reference pg 19. 

In this case, the timing specified is "After you fully execute a speed 3-5 maneuver". 

 

Thanks! I should have stated that I read the rules reference before I posted, but some folks like to argue the shade of black, so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 10:03 PM, Scopes said:

Thanks! I should have stated that I read the rules reference before I posted, but some folks like to argue the shade of black, so...

Yeah, you're not wrong. There are plenty of what i call 'loophole hunters' out there trying to twist the wording of the rules to mean something they clearly are not suppose to mean, but try to get it to work a specific way due to wording technicalities. That's why i try to get specific rule reference locations so people have an official thing they can point to that can (usually) end the debate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 8:53 AM, Lyianx said:

Yeah, you're not wrong. There are plenty of what i call 'loophole hunters' out there trying to twist the wording of the rules to mean something they clearly are not suppose to mean, but try to get it to work a specific way due to wording technicalities. That's why i try to get specific rule reference locations so people have an official thing they can point to that can (usually) end the debate.

What a name for a rules-interpretation discussion podcast or monthly missive from FFG...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...