DeBelleval

Attack opportunity rulings

A buddy and I were playing an epic match and I had several ships with pilot skill 6. Going through my ships with pilot skill 6, I declared my first one didn't have any targets in range so no attack from him. When I got to my last ship I was able to tractor beam an enemy ship into range of the first ship. I declared I was going to attack with that first ship but was told I can't because I already passed on attacking with him. I stated I hadn't moved on to the next level of pilot skills so now that there was a legal target I could now attack.

Am I correct in being able to attack? When can you no longer attack with a pilot?

No you can't fire. You can only activate a ship once in the attack phase. Activating mean checking for valid targets and if able, perform an attack. You already activated the ship to check for target and had none in range at that moment. You cannot check another time. Even if you're still at PS 6.

By the rules, no shot, as your ship has already activated/engaged.

However, unless it's a tournament/tourney prep game, I'm a firm believer in Fly Casual, especially if one or both of the players is relatively new to the game.

activating ships happens during activation, when moving and taking actions.

during engagement, all ships must engage. this is when they have an opportunity to attack.

whether stating you don't have any targets with a ship and stating you can't attack with it counts as engaging with that ship is debatable. if you measure from it to check, it has definitely engaged.

you must declare wich ship you engage with before you can attack with it. each ship can only engage once during each engagement. even ships without opportunity to attack must engage, even if it is standing on a rock or if it has a disarm token.

8 minutes ago, muribundi said:

You really need to take care in the order you decide to activate your ship on the same init because like you seen, it can be important.

This. If your opponent *wanted* to let you attack, he can, but in casual games, there needs to be an agreement by both players. Ship activation order is pretty important in the overall mechanics of the game, same for selecting the boost/barrel roll direction. 

"I declared my first one didn't have any targets in range so no attack from him."

This is where you lost the argument. Once you measure or do anything with a ship... it has "engaged." A ship ALWAYS engages, it just may not be able to perform an attack. Other things can happen when a ship engages so if it look like it might be just out and you have other triggers that might help it get in arc, save that ship for later. 

1 hour ago, shaunmerritt said:

"I declared my first one didn't have any targets in range so no attack from him."

This is where you lost the argument. Once you measure or do anything with a ship... it has "engaged."

Yep. Because then you run into this rule on RR pg 10.

Each ship engages only once during this phase.