Sign in to follow this  
Imperial Citizen

Newish Player Looking For Expansion Advice

Posted (edited)

I have recently gotten back into Armada and am looking for the best way to expand my fleets. I am at the moment  looking at the next expansions to buy and am wondering if they have “good” value for a new player. Is the Interdictor expansion worth it for 11$? Should I get a Nebulon-B expansion for 8$? Are there other expansions to purchase first? I am looking at ships and squadrons mainly, I can proxy upgrades. I collect both Rebel and Empire. 

My collection for reference:

Rebels - Home One, Rebel Fighters 1, Hammerheads, Rogues and Villains

Empire: Gladiator, Quasar, Gozantis, Rogues and Villains 

Edited by Imperial Citizen

Yes, grab an Interdictor for $11 and a couple Nebs at $8. They are worth that. 

Also look at an ISD ASAP. They may be the next hard ship to find. 

Also, I don’t see a Core Set listed? Target had a deal of But one and get one 1/2 off. So, you could get a Core Set and an ISD and save a little $$

Interdictor or 2 is a good buy at that price.  You probably don't need more than 1 more Neb B if you have the core.  You hardly ever see anyone using 2, 3 is just crazy.  But at that price, go wild if you want.  The Vics tend to be cheap on Amazon also.  Again, 1 extra is probably enough.

4 minutes ago, Imperial Citizen said:

Sounds good. What squadron pack do I get for the empire? I’m leaning towards squad pack 2 but what do y’all think?

2 might be more useful but 1 has the classic fighters from the movies if that matters at all. They are also useful but if you can only get one I’d say squad pack 2.

I’ll agree that the interdictor and nebulon for those prices are great, victory if they have it as well. I got mine for the same discount. I’ll also second getting an ISD, no imperial fleet is complete without one (or 3). 

Other ships I like are the arquitens (1-3 probably), mc30, liberty, and cr90. If you like your gladiator get the mc30 for sure. Might want a gr75 as well. 

@Imperial Citizen Fighter packs 2 are going to be harder and harder to find, so I'd recommend snagging at least 1 if you can. Fighter pack 1 are also a great buy. I'd definitely think about an interdictor (particularly if you can also get a Chimaera expansion). It really wants the upgrades from that pack to be run at its tanky, unkillable best. If you don't have an ISD, one or another of the two ISD packs would definitely be my highest recommendation aside from the aforementioned fighter packs.

10 minutes ago, Rikash said:

@Imperial Citizen Fighter packs 2 are going to be harder and harder to find, so I'd recommend snagging at least 1 if you can. Fighter pack 1 are also a great buy. I'd definitely think about an interdictor (particularly if you can also get a Chimaera expansion). It really wants the upgrades from that pack to be run at its tanky, unkillable best. If you don't have an ISD, one or another of the two ISD packs would definitely be my highest recommendation aside from the aforementioned fighter packs.

@Imperial Citizen, Imperial Fighter Pack 2s are on the boat so don't rush out and pay the crazy high prices for them right now. A few more weeks and they'll be back in stock at normal prices.  Having at least one of each Imperial and Rebel Squadron would be nice. There are some great pilots in each.

12 hours ago, Rikash said:

Which upgrade are you talking about?

He means that the Interdictor really benefits from a lot of the upgrades in the Chimaera expansion (the "re-skin" of the ISD).

However, since you said that you are comfortable using proxies for upgrades, what matters most to you is the actual physical ships and their variety. So I'd say get whichever of the two ISD expansions you like; you want that big beautiful Star Destroyer. :) 

6 minutes ago, Imperial Citizen said:

I’ll probably get the Chimera first. I really like the look of it and It comes with Thrawn. Thanks again everybody for your responses!

Not only this. The Chimera comes with the ISD I and ISD II cards. The old ISD is missing the new Kuat and Cymoon. And on top there is the Gauntlet squadron in the Chimera.

For the fighters i suggest all 3 packs. They have all something good.
But i would not take several from one, unless you know you want them or will fly them.
With the Core Set, each fighter pack once (Imp I, Imp II, Rogues) and the Corellian Conflict, you will have all you need.
Same count as well for Rebels.

8 hours ago, Tokra said:

Not only this. The Chimera comes with the ISD I and ISD II cards. The old ISD is missing the new Kuat and Cymoon. And on top there is the Gauntlet squadron in the Chimera.

For the fighters i suggest all 3 packs. They have all something good.
But i would not take several from one, unless you know you want them or will fly them.
With the Core Set, each fighter pack once (Imp I, Imp II, Rogues) and the Corellian Conflict, you will have all you need.
Same count as well for Rebels.

Chimera doesn't have the standard ISD variants. 

8 hours ago, Imperial Citizen said:

I’ll probably get the Chimera first. I really like the look of it and It comes with Thrawn. Thanks again everybody for your responses!

Yes Chimera before Original ISD. Definitely better for a new player. Lots of good cards in there

3 hours ago, Tokra said:

My fault. Other way around. The Chimera had 3 times the Kuat and Cymoon. 

And since @Imperial Citizen doesn't mind proxying, you can sub in any other models and run triple Cymoons/kuats :D

E.g. Chimera and double lmc80 models mix fleet!

On 4/24/2019 at 9:29 PM, Imperial Citizen said:

I have recently gotten back into Armada and am looking for the best way to expand my fleets. I am at the moment  looking at the next expansions to buy and am wondering if they have “good” value for a new player. Is the Interdictor expansion worth it for 11$? Should I get a Nebulon-B expansion for 8$? Are there other expansions to purchase first? I am looking at ships and squadrons mainly, I can proxy upgrades. I collect both Rebel and Empire. 

My collection for reference:

Rebels - Home One, Rebel Fighters 1, Hammerheads, Rogues and Villains

Empire: Gladiator, Quasar, Gozantis, Rogues and Villains 

I would suggest you get two functional fleets with points to spare ASAP if you have at least one friend who is interested in playing but hesitant to invest.  With that you can facilitate the beginnings of a group.  I was able to grow from me to two, to four, now up to eight, and there are now three of the eight hooked enough to have their own fleets, one guy has two fleets and growing.

Also, be understanding and supportive of people who like to play but aren’t ready to invest.  Be willing to loan ships, be willing to lose a few components/have some breakages here and there - even non-investing players are valuable for generating games and excitement.  Eventually, if the excitement keeps building, people will start to buy in.