Ikka

After a month, your thoughts on the Sith Infiltrator

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, feltipern1 said:

Thematically, though, those Tactical Relays were often person-sized, which makes more sense on a large-based ship.  Admittedly, all that was needed was the head.

I don’t think the tactical relays on these ships are actual droids. Based on the icon and some scenes of various film and television, I expect they are just a hologram (of the actual droid) being projected on the dashboard of the cockpit. As simple as that. 

Edited by Chudley
Small change in brackets.

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2019 at 4:57 PM, Chudley said:

I don’t think the tactical relays on these ships are actual droids. Based on the icon and some scenes of various film and television, I expect they are just a hologram (of the actual droid) being projected on the dashboard of the cockpit. As simple as that. 

Respectfully, I disagree. However, you're probably right.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/T-series_tactical_droid

QuellTacticalDroid-web.jpg

Edited by feltipern1
posting quota improvement

18 minutes ago, feltipern1 said:

Respectfully, I disagree. However, you're probably right.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/T-series_tactical_droid

QuellTacticalDroid-web.jpg

Tactical_droid_TCW.jpg

Relay as in a signal repeater (not a hologram as @Chudley suggests)... The droid itself is not present at the skirmish that our matches consist of. Rather the Tactical Relay is passing along data to and instructions from the Tactical Droid that the Relay is assigned to. Even irl a signal relay with several mile/kilometer range physically isn't all that big compared to the dimensions of a Star Wars snubfighter, much less one of the Star Couriers (Sith Infiltrators). In Star Wars they're even smaller and have greater range...

17 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Relay as in a signal repeater (not a hologram as @Chudley suggests)... The droid itself is not present at the skirmish that our matches consist of. Rather the Tactical Relay is passing along data to and instructions from the Tactical Droid that the Relay is assigned to. Even irl a signal relay with several mile/kilometer range physically isn't all that big compared to the dimensions of a Star Wars snubfighter, much less one of the Star Couriers (Sith Infiltrators). In Star Wars they're even smaller and have greater range...

That is what I meant, but I’m also talking about those hand holograms they use for communicating. Used extensively in the Clone Wars. 

5 minutes ago, Chudley said:

That is what I meant, but I’m also talking about those hand holograms they use for communicating. Used extensively in the Clone Wars. 

Those aren't the relay itself, though they do send and receive signals to/from the relay (which the relay directs to the signals destination). They're more like a cell phone, walkie talkie or radio headset. Tac Relays are similar to the electronic components attached to cellular towers in function. :)

12 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Those aren't the relay itself, though they do send and receive signals to/from the relay (which the relay directs to the signals destination). They're more like a cell phone, walkie talkie or radio headset. Tac Relays are similar to the electronic components attached to cellular towers in function. :)

Yes. I understand that. I really do, but I’m saying that as far as this game is concerned, I believe the symbology is indicating the “walkie talkie”.  The Tactical Droids are being displayed in the cockpit of the ships using a tactical relay as a means of displaying the image. 

Anyway, enough of the pedantic nonsense, let’s get back to talking about my favourite faction!

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Chudley said:

The Tactical Droids are being displayed in the cockpit of the ships using a tactical relay as a means of displaying the image. 

Um, actually.

They're pictured on the bridges of command ships, mostly. Which is where they spent most of their time in the show. So paying 10 points for Kraken, flavorfully, is saying that you're close enough to his command ship for him to give orders. In this case, helping with calculations.

As for the Infiltrator, I flew it again on Monday night. Previously I'd tried it once, entirely decked out with almost every slot filled. I didn't fly it as I should have and it died and I left it behind for more Vultures. This time, I brought Maul with only Hate and Kraken, +5 ESC TFDs. Again, I flew him terribly, but he definitely felt like a solid anvil to the Vultures'... Er... Hammer, so I'm going to give that list a shot at my first local Hyperspace Trial on the 4th. This time we'll try to not run Maul into Vultures for... the first three turns I think? And then on gas clouds? I swear he got one action in his 7-8 turns alive...

Edited by SpiderMana

2 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

Um, actually.

They're pictured on the bridges of command ships, mostly. Which is where they spent most of their time in the show. So paying 10 points for Kraken, flavorfully, is saying that you're close enough to his command ship for him to give orders. In this case, helping with calculations.

Um... :)

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Chudley said:

Anyway, enough of the pedantic nonsense, let’s get back to talking about my favourite faction!

Pedantic nonsense is my stock in trade - I'm an academic. :)

Edited by feltipern1

On 4/25/2019 at 5:37 PM, So Crates said:

I hear Nerf, Nerf, Nerf...

And I ask, what tournaments have Infiltrators won in this past month that I missed that is causing so much hate?

In some ways, Separatists are "Force-Infiltrators: the Faction."

Vultures are bad, too squishy to use effectively.  Belbullabs are too real-money expensive to field in large numbers, but even at best they aren't exciting, and not better at essentially same function as Rebel X-Wings (no Leia to support, and Grievous is no Wedge).  Dooku is solid enough.  I think Maul is clearly above the power curve for how strong he is, but the rest of the faction is bad enough that it doesn't matter.

If you could drop Maul's infiltrator into another faction, fly with that stuff, I think the level of power he represents over what's ideal would be clear.  But there just aren't good-enough CIS lists around Maul to make him a major top-tables-large-tournament ship.

But at the same time, the one time I've flown CIS, I flew Maul with just Hate and the title (and I could easily cut the title) and he felt... well, I would say wicked unfair, but that doesn't get at it.  Maul is the kind of ship that, to the extent which he's overpowered, he could be fixed by points alone.  He's not Inert Han by any stretch.  Maul is too cheap, almost all of the rest of the faction is too bad, so...

I guess the ideal is for the next points wave to buff the rest of the Separatists, and nerf Maul's final price a hair.  I'd do it by a bunch of little nerfs. Hate perhaps at variable pricing.  Grievous crew should be more expensive--variable priced Shield upgrade?  That'd raise the price 1 point on an Infiltrator, but potentially more on higher Agility ships which might exist in the future.

Separatists seem overpowered to me. for example, first off, squishy vulture droids. one with shell charges is only 1 point more than a tie, with calculates that are shared and don't go away? take 4 of those, dooku in an infiltrator with grievous, kraken, proton torpedoes, probe droids, and Hate, and that's a whole lot of "i can't do anything against them." Hard to approach. anyone know any tricks? It's hard to not feel like you might as well just scoop.

I've been flying 4 ship mixed resistance, poe, bastian, talli, and greer

4 minutes ago, Hobbyist said:

Separatists seem overpowered to me. for example, first off, squishy vulture droids. one with shell charges is only 1 point more than a tie, with calculates that are shared and don't go away? take 4 of those, dooku in an infiltrator with grievous, kraken, proton torpedoes, probe droids, and Hate, and that's a whole lot of "i can't do anything against them." Hard to approach. anyone know any tricks? It's hard to not feel like you might as well just scoop.

I've been flying 4 ship mixed resistance, poe, bastian, talli, and greer

Burn down the vultures and don't shoot a cloaked Dooku unless you're fully out of arc...

5 minutes ago, Hobbyist said:

Yeah, that's pretty much the order of operations (though no cloak on dooku), but doing it is a different story

You won't win a joust. Meeting them head on is what I've seen a lot of players do and then they complain about ESC being OP. It's necessary to limit the number of Vultures pointed at you, even if it means splitting your formation. Poe, Nien, Jess Pava and A-wings are all good against Vultures if you fly them well in the opening turns.

Posted (edited)

Don't approach; Make them come to you. I haven't seen anyone locally using struts, so they still have to fly around obstacles (not the clouds).

If you get the vultures to split up, great! You should be able to take one to 2 vultures off every turn if your dice are average. It's just their alpha that's the biggest concern.

Keep Poe out of the mix in the first engagement so you don't risk losing/damaging him early on; he's your closer. Get someone behind Maul and keep them there if you can. Probe Droid are a distraction mostly. They won't come into their own until the hyena arrives.

I'm a Sep player. The double infiltrator or 7-8 drone build are the strongest builds in my opinion. Most folks don't have that many drones, so keep an eye out for the twin-filtrators. There, you want to separate and isolate them if you can.

Edited by Force Majeure

1 hour ago, Force Majeure said:

Keep Poe out of the mix in the first engagement so you don't risk losing/damaging him early on; he's your closer. 

This is decent advice, but be careful. The Boba+Guri I beat held Guri back, and I nearly decimated reinforced Boba that first round, leaving my Buzz Droids to finish him off fairly neatly the next couple rounds.