Just wanted to check in to see how people are enjoying the game. I have been salivating for the game, and I was curious to hear the impression from the community if it's worth a purchase?

We've only just finished the first quest of the campaign and I can't wait to play it more.  We're using Aragorn and Bilbo in a 2player campaign. I really like the scout/prepare/set-the-deck to maximize the likelihood of passing the various checks.  We acquired an item and a title in the first session, which was also fun.

I'm working on painting the figures right now also, which is an added bonus that may increase my rating of the game. If I was un-interested in painting the minis I possibly would be less excited about each session, but it's hard to speculate from a viewpoint that I don't possess.

You must have it, precious.

I have 2 campaigns going: one solo- Aragorn and Beravore. And one 2 player (with my eldest son)- Aragorn and Bilbo. 

My solo campaign I just finished the 4th chapter. Each chapter got more interesting. The 4th was "a mystery" and it was my favorite so far. 

I like the level of difficulty: not too easy, not too hard. Mechanics are very fun. I could see playing solo with more than 2 characters start to feel like a chore however- all that shuffling. 

Components are top notch, even the battle maps are not horrible. After you get the terrain added to them I hardly notice how plain they are. 

I've had no issues with the app except I got some enemy groups confused once, but that was inattention on my part, and I didn't know how to deal damage to an enemy with my (baited trap?) card, but figured it out afterwards for next time. 

21 hours ago, steveisbig said:

We've only just finished the first quest of the campaign and I can't wait to play it more.  We're using Aragorn and Bilbo in a 2player campaign. I really like the scout/prepare/set-the-deck to maximize the likelihood of passing the various checks.  We acquired an item and a title in the first session, which was also fun.

I'm working on painting the figures right now also, which is an added bonus that may increase my rating of the game. If I was un-interested in painting the minis I possibly would be less excited about each session, but it's hard to speculate from a viewpoint that I don't possess.

You must have it, precious.

18 hours ago, HirumaShigure said:

I have 2 campaigns going: one solo- Aragorn and Beravore. And one 2 player (with my eldest son)- Aragorn and Bilbo. 

My solo campaign I just finished the 4th chapter. Each chapter got more interesting. The 4th was "a mystery" and it was my favorite so far. 

I like the level of difficulty: not too easy, not too hard. Mechanics are very fun. I could see playing solo with more than 2 characters start to feel like a chore however- all that shuffling. 

Components are top notch, even the battle maps are not horrible. After you get the terrain added to them I hardly notice how plain they are. 

I've had no issues with the app except I got some enemy groups confused once, but that was inattention on my part, and I didn't know how to deal damage to an enemy with my (baited trap?) card, but figured it out afterwards for next time. 

That's great to hear, precious! What devices have you been using to play the app? I have a Surface 2 that doesn't support the Google Play store, so I would be using my phone until I finally decide to upgrade my computer. Does it work well on mobile?

The game is great, me and my family love it. Probably my favorite boardgame now, which is pretty bit statement since I play alot. And yes, app is working perfectly on mobile (tested on ipad and iphone). 

I play on my phone. It's a little small but it gets the job done, and I'm the type of person that would rather put up with that, saving money for expansions, than invest in a tablet (though, the thought did cross my mind).

I play on an 8 inch tablet.  It’s perfect size, tablet doesn’t take much table space easily passable to other players and the screen is large enough to enjoy. 

After every session I’m left wanting more. And I’m doing terribly but coming close ever time.  Can’t wait to start a new campaign to experience it again now that I’m knowing more of what I’m doing.

I just lovit! App is so great gamemaster, easy to use and works absolut fine! Playing is so smoot and exciting and cards is so mutch better then dice! Cant waith to see where this game growths whit upcoming exspansions! This is gake number one to me!!!!!

I was really looking forward to trying this out - then the delivery driver screwed up my delivery, sent the parcel to a post office, and hasn't left a parcel card or any indication of which post office it is at (there are quite a few within reasonable distance)....so I'm trying to track down where this even is now....😡

Posted (edited)

It's really good fun. I just have this desire to search everything and play with every character and role, and yet the game is fairly challenging on normal. I had thought they might make it more "family friendly" in the sense of making it too easy, but I don't think they have. The difficulty feels spot on, and even losing an adventure or failing a test doesn't feel too bad due to the "fail forward" mechanism.

The gameplay also feels really smooth and I just love the cards as well as the app-generated events and sidequests. Overall I think I prefer the journey maps to the battle maps (I wish there were more spaces), but I like the battle map terrain, and how it changes the pace of the game. Earning titles, trinkets, and item upgrades feels really cool. It's my favourite game in a while and no understatement there.

Edited by *player3640663

On 4/25/2019 at 10:22 AM, CaffeineAddict said:

I was really looking forward to trying this out - then the delivery driver screwed up my delivery, sent the parcel to a post office, and hasn't left a parcel card or any indication of which post office it is at (there are quite a few within reasonable distance)....so I'm trying to track down where this even is now....😡

Found it in the end, looking forward to trying it out this weekend!

Posted (edited)

Played the very first adventure solo with Legolas and Beravor and had great fun.

Although I never got close to maxing the threat bar (victory at about 36/64) it was still a challenge as Legolas got mauled early by some Hungry Wargs, and was on the verge of a Last Stand for quite a while.

As a result I didn’t want to spawn anything else to risk fighting and rushed to the victory leaving behind five or six search tokens, and whatever goodies they might have contained. Oh well, onwards we go!

Edited by jonamok

I played the first scenario and lost, and I thought “wow this game is hard like the LCG can be” but I still had fun. Then I realized I was playing the game wrong, so I replayed the first scenario and what a difference it made. I was amazed at how different the same mission was during the replay. I ended up winning but it was still fairly tough.

I was on the fence about the game, leaning towards no because it seemed too app-dependent if you want my honest opinion. My FLGS contacted me and asked me if I wanted them to order me a copy, and I’m very glad I said yes. The game is very fun so far and it turns out I’m fairly happy with how the app integrates into the experience. Having a small peak at the replay-ability of the game has me even more excited for it.

This early into it I recommend it and I don’t see that changing. Oh and since everyone is listing this - I’m playing solo with Legolas (hunter) and Gimli (guardian)

I’ve played 4 scenarios so far (Aragorn and Elena; lost 1) and I’m enjoying it ok, but there is something missing, and I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. Then I read Julia’s review over on BGG, and she nailed it, it’s the lack of specific  LOTR locations on the map tiles. The generic tiles just don’t convey the theme strongly enough (for me). Hopefully this can be rectified when the expansions arrive. Perhaps, deluxe expansions with come with some iconic map locations, I certainly hope so. 

39 minutes ago, Daft Blazer said:

I’ve played 4 scenarios so far (Aragorn and Elena; lost 1) and I’m enjoying it ok, but there is something missing, and I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. Then I read Julia’s review over on BGG, and she nailed it, it’s the lack of specific  LOTR locations on the map tiles. The generic tiles just don’t convey the theme strongly enough (for me). Hopefully this can be rectified when the expansions arrive. Perhaps, deluxe expansions with come with some iconic map locations, I certainly hope so. 

It's very likely, IA had only generic tiles at first as well, then expansions took us to more specific places. Core game need to have mostly generic stuff so that it can work with more focused expansions. 

Well.  I love Arkham Horror the Card Game (And LOTR LCG) and have been playing it like crazy for months. Best game ever. And then this one came along.  Definitely my favorite game.  Ever. I play on an 8" tablet and it works great.  First game I got creamed. Really creamed.  Then started over with different characters and its been absolutely fantastic.  I find it difficult, but not too much so.  I freely admit I'm not a great gamer but I'm having a blast. I haven't had it off my gaming table since it arrived and can't count the hours sleep I've lost playing into the wee hours of the morning.  I think my Arkham is on hold for a bit. 

2 hours ago, dizpatcher said:

First game I got creamed. Really creamed.  Then started over with different characters and its been absolutely fantastic.

Who did you start with, and who did you swap to?

I soloed the campaign twice with a different team each time, losing both times.  Still craving more.   Have a four player kickoff scheduled in a few weeks so it'll be fun to incorporate other players.  Still crave this game, love it.  BRING ON THE EXPANSIONS

On 4/30/2019 at 3:30 AM, jonamok said:

Who did you start with, and who did you swap to?

Used Aragorn and Beravor first.  There didn't seem to be any real synergy there.  Like I said.  Got creamed.  Went with Legolas and Aragorn and doing fine.  There are times the inspiration is tight but if I store up as much as possible and when I go for something go big it usually works out. That Keen Eyes with Legolas can work wonders. I would like to try three adding Gimli to the mix.  Could be interesting with the other two and Guardian.