Sort of Thrilled by Phase I Clone Troopers Unit Expansion

1 minute ago, SpiderMana said:

He's got three poses, actually. And I don't think the whole body is necessarily the same throughout, as he's got a cloak for at least one option.

Cloak can be attached to arms though, or a seperate piece that is attached to the back. It doesn't have to be innately attached to the torso. 

Just now, Caimheul1313 said:

Cloak can be attached to arms though, or a seperate piece that is attached to the back. It doesn't have to be innately attached to the torso. 

Gosh, do you guys want me to actually look at what I'm talking about? 🙄

From the pictures in the article, it looks like he does indeed have just one torso/leg/head pose. He then has a left arm variant for if you want him holding a blaster instead of a second saber, and it would appear that the secondary pair of arms connects to the back of his shoulder blades, which the cape conveniently covers otherwise.

13 hours ago, 1 said:

WHY do you continue to think these poses are practical?

Small potatoes compared the ridiculous lightsaber poses that are common in this brave new world.

2 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

And do you have a source for the early training being handled by bounty hunters? Only stuff I can find only mentions the bounty hunters being hired directly by the Republic after the start of the Clone Wars. 

Yeah Republic, let's hire private for-profit officers of the court to train public non-profit war fighters! Maybe then hire some miners to train loggers too. This is why the Republic didn't last.

1 minute ago, TauntaunScout said:

Small potatoes compared the ridiculous lightsaber poses that are common in this brave new world.

Yeah Republic, let's hire private for-profit officers of the court to train public non-profit war fighters! Maybe then hire some miners to train loggers too. This is why the Republic didn't last.

To be fair, bounty hunters in Star Wars are only slightly different than "assassin" or "brutally effective mercenary" rather than "officer of the court." Still, probably not the best choice for training officers, as opposed to, I don't know, the commander of some planetary defence force? 

22 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

To be fair, bounty hunters in Star Wars are only slightly different than "assassin" or "brutally effective mercenary" rather than "officer of the court." Still, probably not the best choice for training officers, as opposed to, I don't know, the commander of some planetary defence force? 

In Star Wars, "bounty hunter" does seem to be a catch-all term for "mercenary, assassin, bodyguard, hired military trainer, ect.", doesn't it?

Honestly, I can only think of a handful of times in canon where they actually hunted bounties.

1 minute ago, Glucose98 said:

Can someone explain to a noob why you would need sprues to have alternate poses? Couldn't they have just included multiple pieces in the baggy?

Sprues are probably tad bit cheaper for providing a greater variety of poses since there is no need to pay people to trim bits off of the "waste" plastic. Also, some people are assuming that on sprues will mean "fully interchangeable arms" which is not guaranteed.

25 minutes ago, Derpzilla88 said:

In Star Wars, "bounty hunter" does seem to be a catch-all term for "mercenary, assassin, bodyguard, hired military trainer, ect.", doesn't it?

Honestly, I can only think of a handful of times in canon where they actually hunted bounties.

Bounty hunters are just mercenaries. They are soldiers hired to do jobs that require combat

1 hour ago, Jabby said:

Bounty hunters are just mercenaries. They are soldiers hired to do jobs that require combat

Also they are the most common profession in the galaxy apparently. Seems like every second or third background character is a hunter of bounties. 

The outside trainers were, at least in the old canon, 75 Mandos and 25 others brought to train the commando squads.  It made sense when it was just for the commandos.  The rank and file were trained by the Kaminoians, in hyper-realistic exercises and then in live-fire training, in massive chambers that could shift environments.

11 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Also they are the most common profession in the galaxy apparently. Seems like every second or third background character is a hunter of bounties. 

It kinda makes sense in a weird sort of way.  In a galaxy with thousands of inhabited planets, each with their own sets of laws and regulations, it has to be a nightmare getting things done through legal channels.  It kinda makes sense for there to be a pretty large industry of back-channel git-r-done guys that you can hire on any given planet.

17 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Well, in a galaxy without a standing military, limited Federal level policing forces, and largely ceremonial local security forces, (only some of which are actually competent) it does make sense that the private sector would step in to fill the void, either as the problem (pirates and mercenary groups working for crime syndicates) or the solution (hired by individuals or planets for security).  The bushfire wars before the Clone Wars likely spurned this on, and the two major wars in the films likely added gas to the fire. 

6 hours ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

It kinda makes sense in a weird sort of way.  In a galaxy with thousands of inhabited planets, each with their own sets of laws and regulations, it has to be a nightmare getting things done through legal channels.  It kinda makes sense for there to be a pretty large industry of back-channel git-r-done guys that you can hire on any given planet.

I personally suspect SW has figured out how to make more or less free low level energy. Things like hyperspace jumps are expensive but the kind of electricity it takes to run, say, a fully automated shoe factory, is free. It explains why virtually no one has a productive job, everyone is some kind of very specialized service sector employee. Especially in densely populated planets, there is simply no productive labor left for sentient beings to do. Even the moisture farmers are really just droid managers.

On 4/23/2019 at 12:50 PM, TauntaunScout said:

A fair point, the way ObiWan is portrayed as holding his lightsaber is a great way to lose a hand at the slightest movement.

It seems like Old Ben only really figured out how to use one later in life. 

On 4/23/2019 at 12:24 PM, SpiderMana said:

He's got three poses, actually. And I don't think the whole body is necessarily the same throughout, as he's got a cloak for at least one option.

He probably comes as one body, or if they are really nice the legs might not be attached so you get more play there, one head, a cloak, 3 normal arms with 2 holding sabers and 1 holding the pistol and then 4 split arms. How all someone wants to attach these determine the look of the mini so you could do the cloak and have split arms or have 1 pistol and the other arm is split, etc, etc... It in the end gives you a few different ways to build him which I'm hoping we will see more of with commanders/operatives especially. 

swl44_grievous_two-sabers.pngswl44_grievous_blaster-and-saber.pngswl44_grievous_four-sabers.png

4 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

He probably comes as one body, or if they are really nice the legs might not be attached so you get more play there, one head, a cloak, 3 normal arms with 2 holding sabers and 1 holding the pistol and then 4 split arms. How all someone wants to attach these determine the look of the mini so you could do the cloak and have split arms or have 1 pistol and the other arm is split, etc, etc... It in the end gives you a few different ways to build him which I'm hoping we will see more of with commanders/operatives especially. 

swl44_grievous_two-sabers.pngswl44_grievous_blaster-and-saber.pngswl44_grievous_four-sabers.png

If only there were actually 3 miniatures so that we could have all 3 options. 

22 minutes ago, Derrault said:

If only there were actually 3 miniatures so that we could have all 3 options. 

Well you do have the choice of buying 3 core sets and having 6 corps units and 3 support options right out the gate rather than having to wait another month to be able to add any more supports to your collection. Otherwise, maybe magnets might work, though the body might be a bit too thin for that. 

On 4/23/2019 at 11:30 AM, SpiderMana said:

Gosh, do you guys want me to actually look at what I'm talking about? 🙄

From the pictures in the article, it looks like he does indeed have just one torso/leg/head pose. He then has a left arm variant for if you want him holding a blaster instead of a second saber, and it would appear that the secondary pair of arms connects to the back of his shoulder blades, which the cape conveniently covers otherwise.

1 hour ago, Animewarsdude said:

The gun-arm that I thought I’d seen in the announcement article might have just been that left lightsaber arm? But I’m pretty sure there are only 2 extra arms for the 4-arm pose, and they just attach to the regular lightsaber arms.

2 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

Well you do have the choice of buying 3 core sets and having 6 corps units and 3 support options right out the gate rather than having to wait another month to be able to add any more supports to your collection. Otherwise, maybe magnets might work, though the body might be a bit too thin for that. 

I’m allergic to spending on more than one core set. 🤮

Ultimately I’ll probably go with two sabers and the cape, I don’t love the look with four and no cape. 

1 hour ago, Derrault said:

I’m allergic to spending on more than one core set. 🤮

Ultimately I’ll probably go with two sabers and the cape, I don’t love the look with four and no cape. 

I'm also all for the cape. I think it will really make his model pop in the midst of the non-caped droids. 

3 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

The gun-arm that I thought I’d seen in the announcement article might have just been that left lightsaber arm? But I’m pretty sure there are only 2 extra arms for the 4-arm pose, and they just attach to the regular lightsaber arms.

Looking at the wrist angle of the bottom arms on the 4-armed pose, I think you're right. Which does mean 4-arms and a cloak would take a fair amount of trimming, and a 2 arm pose no cloak may require modification to get the pauldrons.

On 4/23/2019 at 11:07 PM, Alpha17 said:

Which means that they also move like animators.  Since it was the Phase I clones they had problems with, these guys fit that form just fine.  Such an odd point to make.

And if your problem is that the squad leader is pointing one way while facing a different way.... 

RMOOOWXJOZDE3EB7I5LDOT47CE.jpg

full

trimailo-back.jpg

7321_164551703975_121994218975_3651625_6653654_n

The first three are just example images from a google image search for "military squad leader" or "military team leader," the kind of search FFG likely did when picking out poses.  A figure pointing or seeming to direct his guys is an easy to understand symbol of a leader, so it's pretty obvious why they've gone with that.  More elite troops get the "tactical" poses because it fits the vibe they're trying to go with.  That last one is one of mine, and as you can see, he's waving his hand to call up guys.  In another second or so, he'd be pointing in a direction he isn't looking.  Nothing wrong with that at all.  Honestly, all of the Clone minis look great, and it's easy to imagine why they're doing what they are doing. 

If we're going to complain about the Clones, it should be their price and stats.  No offensive surge?  No precise?  Just the ability to dump their attack into another unit's attack?  Eh, powerful, but really limiting if you ask me. 

Odd point? They corrected a fault using ex-US Navy SEALS to make Clones look the part. Hence Fantasy Flight should be making clones in accurate US Military poses to make them appear like a realistic military force.

And these images you show me further justify my complaint, not a single one is standing and pointing with an index finger, all are crouched low, the only pose I wouldn't use is the 3rd image as his head is tilted up, and my 1st choice would be the Austrian. 

There is so much variety but they continue to insist on these boring and outdated poses as well as unrealistic ones and it's just a wasted opportunity to deliver a better product. 

On 4/23/2019 at 3:15 PM, Canuck7 said:

Valid complaints if this is historicals; but it's not, it's Star Wars. How often do you see Stormtroopers or Clones in the movies executing tactical movement. They pretty much all fire from the hip or chest while moving upright. Very little aimed fire or crouched movement from cover to cover. Almost nobody ever adopts a prone firing position, let alone kneeling.

This makes no sense. 

Are they combat infantry? Yes

Weapons safety, squad movement, tactics, load-outs should all be stock standard modern infantry, you then branch out with your 'fictional' elements to make it sci-fi. Either their using tactics straight from WW1 or concepts we haven't started using yet, it all follows the same logic. 

Clones in Episode 2 appear to move in infantry squares, fire from the shoulder or hip and hold the rifles in High Ready. (How funny that the actual miniatures copy none of these poses.. why???) By Episode 3 they are in fact moving much more tactically, as they used ex-NAVY SEALS for the mo-cap. 

So seems to me that Clones went from very bare-bones US Civil War tactics right through to modern US Military within months. Which is true from a tactical perspective, despite expanded universe material the troops in the film had no automatic riflemen or grenadiers, they just had plain old riflemen in large formations so they could pour on as much fire as they could. CIS doesn't have anything like an MG and since both forces were expendable I guess it made sense, huge waste IMO though.

But that's besides the point. How difficult is it to just watch episode 2 and copy every pose seen? Seriously. You cant get it wrong when you literally rip it from the source material but no.. we have to have these 'creative' poses that make no sense.

Posted (edited)

20150619005635!Di_Grassi_9.jpg

On 4/25/2019 at 6:24 AM, Derrault said:

A fair point, the way ObiWan is portrayed as holding his lightsaber is a great way to lose a hand at the slightest movement.

It seems like Old Ben only really figured out how to use one later in life. 

Looks pretty similar to diGrassi to me. I figure he would know a thing or two about it.

https://wiktenauer.com/wiki/File:Di_Grassi_9.jpg

Edited by colki

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 5:10 AM, 1 said:

Odd point? They corrected a fault using ex-US Navy SEALS to make Clones look the part. Hence Fantasy Flight should be making clones in accurate US Military poses to make them appear like a realistic military force.

And these images you show me further justify my complaint, not a single one is standing and pointing with an index finger, all are crouched low, the only pose I wouldn't use is the 3rd image as his head is tilted up, and my 1st choice would be the Austrian. 

There is so much variety but they continue to insist on these boring and outdated poses as well as unrealistic ones and it's just a wasted opportunity to deliver a better product. 

To be fair, kneeling sucks. It's kind of a weird and awkward especially with gear and weapons as a heavy backpack would give you this dopey center of gravity. The only time I'd bother taking a knee was when standing was inappropriate and we were close to moving out, so going prone wouldn't work either. It's basically a transitional pose. People who like kneeling poses probably haven't done a lot of kneeling.