Kieransi

Ship of the day: VCX-100

4 hours ago, Paulos - Breaker of Worlds said:

I can attest to this, flown twice against a list containing Hera, Nien and Seasoned Navigator and it was effing horrible.

How does it deal with stress though? AS seems expensive to me, but is it worth it, or is she better off with Cassian?

Posted (edited)

I got into X-wing specifically because of the Ghost and have flown it in 1st and 2nd edition a ton and almost exclusively. Second edition Ghost is a lot harder to use and did get depowered a ton. So before you get into builds it's good to look at what changed and what it's trying to come back from.

For almost the same cost as it was it:

Lost rear torpedo arc

Lost two Shields

Decreased its 5k to a 4k flip

Lost the system slot (but gained it back later woot!)

Went from a 4 die rear arc to a 3-2 die 

*Attack shuttle Docked* Went from gauranteed Double-tapping Turrets to a weak 2-3 die situational shot 

*Sheathipede docked* Went from end of round coordinate to mid-round coordinate

And that's just the VCX, not to mention that Kanan massively increased in points and can't even use his ability on himself.

Chopper replaces his brutal stress for situational Jam tokens.

Hera on the other hand became the best pilot in the new edition, rightfully so. Her rise up also reflects the Ghosts new role as more of a limited "arc-adjuster" heavy jouster/support vessel instead of the "One-Ship list" it used to be. I find if you try to load up the Ghost like in first edition and make her the focus of your build you tend to lose but if you fly her cheaper and in tandem with some other decent mid-cost fighters she excels, or at least does better as she takes hits while the other 1/2 to 2/3 of your fleet is putting some damage of their own on. Also other than AP-5 or another cheap sheath shuttle for the composure/extra action trickery there is no reason to dock anything to it. The attack shuttle's boost is garbage especially when the ARC-170 does the same thing much better and cheaper. And why pay that much for a bonus attack when VTG and a turret does the same for cheaper and better.

So practically I've had the most luck running it with Jan Ors and Wedge but that was before the points update. Here is the old build, very illegal now:

".50 Cal"

(73) Hera Syndulla [VCX-100 Light Freighter]
(8) Magva Yarro
(1) Crack Shot
(2) Hull Upgrade

(52) Wedge Antilles [T-65 X-wing]
(0) Servomotor S-foils
(1) Crack Shot

(44) Jan Ors [HWK-290 Light Freighter]
(12) Squad Leader
(2) Tactical Officer
(18) Moldy Crow

Total points: 213 (formerly 200)

Hera was also good with a pair of Y-Wings when protorps were still cheap. Currently in this Leia-points cycle my favourite is:

"Asher's Ships" (named after my toddlers favourite ships)

(0) Ghost
(4) Ion Cannon Turret
(6) Veteran Turret Gunner
(8) Magva Yarro
(2) Leia Organa
(1) Composure
(2) Fire-Control System

(32) AP-5 [Sheathipede-class Shuttle]

(56) Wullffwarro [Auzituck Gunship]
(4) Chewbacca
(8) R2-D2
(3) Hull Upgrade
(1) Crack Shot

Total points: 200

Composure let's you get a focus and reinforce token each round by failing the free coordinate. Leia is a given while she is costed low. Wullffwarro is a tanky ship as well and can help pull its weight.

Basically the Ghost functions best in 2 or 3 ship squadrons where it's not the star of the show. Hera, Magva and Leia are the core components I've found, though Nien and Saw are fun alternatives too. She's not the best, but with Fire control system and the drop in points for turrets, VTG, and Leia she is somewhat good. And I still love her and will fly her regardless haha.

Edited by GILLIES291

I went 4-2 at the Atlanta System Open with Hera + Saw; Luke; Norra Wexley (ARC-170) + Leia. The Ghost still hits like a freight train. Hera’s Ability is still good, even without Nein. Glad to see I’m not the only one who loves the Ghost!

If you want to get spicy, Kanan Fenn Biggs fits into a list with some nice synergy. Leaves points for Magva crew / dorsal turret on Kanan, Shuttle title/R4 on Fenn. If the overall ship count drops to 2-3 ships instead of 4-5, Fenn is still just as good as he was in 1.0. 

1 hour ago, ryanhpayne1 said:

I went 4-2 at the Atlanta System Open with Hera + Saw; Luke; Norra Wexley (ARC-170) + Leia. The Ghost still hits like a freight train. Hera’s Ability is still good, even without Nein. Glad to see I’m not the only one who loves the Ghost!

If you want to get spicy, Kanan Fenn Biggs fits into a list with some nice synergy. Leaves points for Magva crew / dorsal turret on Kanan, Shuttle title/R4 on Fenn. If the overall ship count drops to 2-3 ships instead of 4-5, Fenn is still just as good as he was in 1.0. 

I really need to try him again, just couldn't get over his insane price hike haha

New Squadron

(1) Composure
(0) Ghost
(2) Dorsal Turret
(6) Veteran Turret Gunner
(2) Fire-Control System

(32) AP-5 [Sheathipede-class Shuttle]

(62) Luke Skywalker [T-65 X-wing]
(0) Servomotor S-foils
(12) Proton Torpedoes
(4) R2 Astromech
(6) Afterburners

Total points: 200

after flying a bunch of upsilon shuttles I decided to bust out the ghost for the next game night. 

The list I have been flying is:

Hera Syndulla (VCX-100) (73)    
    Trick Shot (2)    
    Dorsal Turret (2)    
    Chewbacca (4)    
    Nien Nunb (5)    
    Shield Upgrade (3)    

Benthic Two Tubes (47)    
    Lando Calrissian (2)    
    Perceptive Copilot (8)    
    Pivot Wing (0)    

Saw Gerrera (52)    
    Tactical Officer (2)    
    Pivot Wing (0)    
Total: 200    

I have played 3 or 4 games with it now and have only lost a ship in one game. I will often Lando with Benthic to hopefully grab an evade or two, then Saw will coordinate a focus to Benthic who can pass one back to Saw or pass it on to Hera. Hera obviously uses her ability to be where she needs to be. If she is taking shots she will probably have a reinforce. 

People have either gone all in on Hera, in which case she arc dodges or bails and the U-Wings chew them up, or they go all in on a multiple token Benthic who I honestly don't care that much if he dies because he will have set up some big shots early. 

33 minutes ago, Arboghasthero said:

The list I have been flying is:

Hera Syndulla (VCX-100) (73)    
    Trick Shot (2)    
    Dorsal Turret (2)    
    Chewbacca (4)    
    Nien Nunb (5)    
    Shield Upgrade (3)    

Benthic Two Tubes (47)    
    Lando Calrissian (2)    
    Perceptive Copilot (8)    
    Pivot Wing (0)    

Saw Gerrera (52)    
    Tactical Officer (2)    
    Pivot Wing (0)    
Total: 200    

I have played 3 or 4 games with it now and have only lost a ship in one game. I will often Lando with Benthic to hopefully grab an evade or two, then Saw will coordinate a focus to Benthic who can pass one back to Saw or pass it on to Hera. Hera obviously uses her ability to be where she needs to be. If she is taking shots she will probably have a reinforce. 

People have either gone all in on Hera, in which case she arc dodges or bails and the U-Wings chew them up, or they go all in on a multiple token Benthic who I honestly don't care that much if he dies because he will have set up some big shots early. 

This is exactly the beautiful kind of list I want to see more of from the Rebels.