Piratical Moustache

How will Armada handle the Clone Wars?

I've been out of the FFG news loop for a while, and I came back when I heard that Legion and X-Wing were going to get into the Clone Wars. My question for Armada is when FFG adds the Separatists and Republic as factions, will there be era boundaries in the rules? I don't know how X-Wing is handling it but that Clone Wars Legion announcement article sounded to me like cross-era play was allowed, and I wonder how Armada might approach the issue. 

In X-wing any faction can play any faction regardless of time. As for Armada, ships don't just suddenly disappear when the calendar turns over a new year. You will certainly get to play against any faction just as you do now. As has been documented in many official cannon sources, older ships are still capable of holding their own against never ships. However, with being said, different races design and political philosophies and shipyards will turn out wild variations in quality and power.  Cannot even begin to tell you how the different eras will match up but it will work out fine. FFG wants your money and they want you to play absurd games where a Lucrehulk slugs it out with an SSD while both side swat all of the other puny vessels aside.

8 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

You get two new factions. They can battle against any other factions.

Ready, set, fight!

5 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

Basically, they are still working on it. So they wont be 100% sure how they are going to handle it yet, so its anyones guess at this point.

It would be interesting to play Separatists against the Empire, or have a Republic vs Rebel game, but how to balance the 4 factions against one another sounds difficult while also giving distinct playstyles to the new factions.

15 minutes ago, Piratical Moustache said:

It would be interesting to play Separatists against the Empire, or have a Republic vs Rebel game, but how to balance the 4 factions against one another sounds difficult while also giving distinct playstyles to the new factions.

X-wing 2.0 has 7 factions now. Works just fine.

The people wanted it, so it's coming regardless of the consequences.

Personally I'm hoping for cross-faction CIS-Rebel and Republic-Empire allowance until the new factions' ship populations are high enough to stand on their own. Makes the most sense thematically while allowing the fleets to grow at a decent pace.

1 hour ago, Tayloraj100 said:

Cross era play will surely be allowed. So, we’ll just have to rely on everyone’s strict adherence to canon to avoid aesthetically-unpleasing cross-era matchups.

Remember: friends don’t let friends have fun incorrectly.

It's only fun if we can legislate it with spreadsheets!

22 minutes ago, geek19 said:

It's only fun if we can legislate it with spreadsheets!

Spreadsheets and offical rulings from a governing body that is backed by no one and somehow has complete power...

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Grand Admiral Buford said:

Lucrehulk slugs it out with an SSD while both side swat all of the other puny vessels aside.

Armada SSD rams a CR90 at speed 1

SSD stays in place

Each take 1 damage

(*Cries* )😢😢

Edited by Muelmuel

If you're worried about "none canon" match ups you're playing the wrong game. You can have dead characters (say, Biggs who dies in ANH (spoilers ;))) bombing the SSD (which isn't around until after ANH), which is flying alongside Chimera (which disappeared before ANH) which happens to be an ISD II (which was a version of the ISD after ANH), all the while Keyan Farlander (no longer canon) is hoping for Jan (not canon) to intel Howlrunner (not canon) so he can join in the bombing. The imperial commander is Tarkin (also dead).... gods I can go on.

The games there to have fun, and be interesting mechanically. Captain Brunson is everywhere? Don't think about the canon implications, it's a game.

There is nothing to stop you playing "canon" games, but I see literally no reason for this whole "era specific battles only" mindset. That someone will think FFG will "enforce" something like that seems bizarre to me. It's a none issue.

Man that was a lot of words to say "it doesn't matter"

6 hours ago, Muelmuel said:

Armada SSD rams a CR90 at speed 1

SSD stays in place

Each take 1 damage

(*Cries* )😢😢

FYI - x-wing 1.0 had a rule for such situation. Fighter was destroyed while huge base ship suffered damage only. My rebel transport blew up three ties, one X and an A all on a poorly misjudged turn/movement timing issue. I won the game with a single point of hull left on the transport but literally crushed everything else in one bad move on my part including my own ships. 

Still gonna be fun killing each other with huge ships.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

If you failed to kill that CR90 with the close-medium range front arc shot you had, you should be crying. 😉

He had Rieeeeekan ;)

Edited by Muelmuel

23 hours ago, AdmiralYor said:

The real question isn't about the logic of clone wars era vs galactic civil war.  It is whether FFG can make clone wars ships different and fun to play without making all existing ships obsolete.

I don‘t see any problem in implementing two new factions with interesting setups und unique and individual ships. Just imagine how many possibilities there are while still sticking to source material!!!

1-2 new mechanics, new commanders, officers, upgrades, sauadrons etc. 

I really am looking forward to this!!

19 hours ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

Slowly. They will handle it slowly; releasing a new wave every 9-14 months for the next 4 years. 

By then they should be ready for the sequel trilogy. 

At this speed, we will get our first First-Order Star Destroyer when Episode 15 is coming out in the Virtual-Cineplex 😁.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, slasher956 said:

Anyone just wants to answer either 'badly' or 'not the way I would' in answer to the OPs question?

Or is it just me?

I don't think the Clone wars will necessarily land flat on its face... what might happen might be that the meta doesn't evolve in a way that's reflective of the show or to the degrees players expect it to.

For instance, Republic Players might be drawn in by how super-efficient Acclaimators are (in a way I wish VSDs were) and just run those all the time. Venators, overpriced and possibly difficult to use (I would guess def token suite with no defensive retrofit) end up being passed over for ACL (ACCs?) running every jedi ace fighter with some ARC-170s. Whenever anyone asks where the Venators went, every Republic player points to one of the ISD variants, Raddus, or the Super Star Destroyers that just murder them in tournament settings. Meanwhile, the most popular commanders out of the Clone Wars turn out to be AUT-O and Nils Tenant for some unforeseen consequences of their abilities as the likes of Anakin and Admiral Trench too overpriced for their abilities.

I can see something like this happening based on how I've experienced Armada so far.

While it's pretty up to canon that ISDs rule the majority of Empire lists, they are not running swarms of Generic Tie Fighters as they do in canon. Certainly Gladiators ended up being more popular than their one-off cartoon appearance by virtue of Demolisher alone. Rieekan, God almighty of the Rebellion, appeared only for a handful of scenes in Empire and wasn't that significant in the scheme of things.

Edited by Norsehound

Posted (edited)
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:51 AM, Norsehound said:

Personally I'm hoping for cross-faction CIS-Rebel and Republic-Empire allowance until the new factions' ship populations are high enough to stand on their own. Makes the most sense thematically while allowing the fleets to grow at a decent pace.

I'm one who loves faction separation.

But if I can have Anakin or Obi-Wan as the admiral of a Super Star Destroyer with the Demolisher at the side, or General Grievous leading a fleet of a Recusant-class destroyers and MC-30s supported by Vulture Droids and Y-Wings, I'm down with some cross-faction stuff. Might as well make some dream fleets.

Edited by Derpzilla88