Sign in to follow this  
Greedo_Sharpshooter

'Genius' how r u using this Scum only Astromech?

Captain Nym seems like the best fit but he is a little pricey for bomb carrier.

Lets look at some of the options to build a bomber with Nym.

• Havoc title gives me a slot to take an Astromech and also a sensor upgrade.
  • Seismic or proximity or proton bombs (choose two) seems good but all of these add up to a lot of points on upgrades.
  • Trajectory Simulator for 10pts just seems way too expensive.
  • Bomblet generator, just seems unplayable and based on how little I'm seeing it at the table means other players agree.

Scum is just in a hard spot right now when it comes to some of its Astromech carrying ships, Scurrg, Jumpmaster500 and Y-Wing... of these the Y-Wing seems the most playable bomb carrier and due to generic (Initiative 1-2) bombers being pretty ineffective this means Kavil gets the nod.

As a minimum I'd load out a bombing Kavil like this... 

Kamakazi Kavil (43)    
    Dorsal Turret (2)    
    Veteran Turret Gunner (6)    
    "Genius" (2)    
    Proton Bombs (5)    

Ship total: 58  

My plan is to 4K-Turn (or possibly 2-3 sharp turn) and drop a bomb right in the enemies face thanks to "Genius" letting me fully execute a maneuver before I drop a bomb. I also bomb myself (unless i 2 sharp and barrel roll) and lose a shield but I don't think they will see the kamikaze attack until its too late.

• Yeah, I know this only works if I don't get blocked and they don't see it coming but if I do get blocked I don't drop the bomb.
  • Situational? yeah. Matchup dependent? probably.
  • Game swinging. Yeah, if they don't have shields and they are in formation? for sure.

Thoughts?

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

Genius on a low initiative Y-wing with afterburners to skip-bomb a proton or seismic charge - only works once (twice if you're REALLY lucky) but it is on a cheap bomber that goes on to block enemy ships into the danger zone.

Make sure you channel Tom Cruise while you do it....

14 hours ago, Antipodean Ork said:

Genius on a low initiative Y-wing with afterburners to skip-bomb a proton or seismic charge - only works once (twice if you're REALLY lucky) but it is on a cheap bomber that goes on to block enemy ships into the danger zone.

Make sure you channel Tom Cruise while you do it....

Astromechs, the RIO of Star Wars.

New astromech:

•"Goose"

Deploy with this side face up. When defending, on a critical hit you must eject this astromech and gain 4 charges. On the next 4 turns, before revealing your dial, you must spend 1 charge to perform a 0■ maneuver, and rotate 180 degrees. Once all charges are spent you suffer critical guilt and are removed from play. Flip this card.

Reverse side:

•"Merlin"

You may redeploy from any board edge, or within range 1 of any friendly ship with at least one damage card. You may spend stress tokens as focus tokens while at range 1 of a friendly ship.

Edited by NakedDex
accuracy

21 hours ago, XPav said:

While we're talking about Scum Astromechs, what's the point of R5-TK?

Ok, I know it's not efficient, but:

Laetin: ion cannon, juke

Cartel executionner: cluster missile, R5-TK, munition failsafe.

Executionner target locks Laetin and follows him, firing every turn and using munition failsafe to cancel the shot.  If another enemy is in range 1-2, use the cluster missiles against them.

Meanwhile, Laetin gets a free evade every time the executionner fires, activating juke.

It's the best I can come up with and it is NOT competitive, but it might be worth trying once, even if its just to see the look on your opponent's face!

6 minutes ago, NakedDex said:

R5TK is the answer to the problem I had in 1e with Dead Man Switch on a Z95 swarm. I needed them to explode reliably, but couldn't pop them myself.

Electronic Baffle. You can lock friendly ships now. Locks are red tokens regardless of the source.

Yeah I'm pretty sure at the time that I had a points reason why I just wanted to stick DMS on them and have another ship shoot them, but I can't remember what. Baffle is a good shout though. Especially if they're on one hull after wading into a swarm and will likely die anyway. I do rather love mechanics like that.

On 4/22/2019 at 10:15 AM, XPav said:

While we're talking about Scum Astromechs, what's the point of R5-TK?

Fun.

There was a hilarious build I did back in 1e where you took a Kimogila with Harpoon Missiles and R5-TK, and filled the list with Z-95s with Deadman Switch.  Plug a Z-95 with a Harpoon, and then blast the Z-95 (if the opponent doesn’t, and it does 2 damage to everything around it.  Get a couple of Harpoons latched on...  And I gloriously wiped a Talonbane and Y-Wing off the board along with my 4 suicidal Z-95s.  

R5-TK is still the same, allowing you to shoot your own ships.  At 26pts for a Z-95 bomb, you could do a build where you have a few as blockers and then blast them just to do 1-damage to everything at Range 1.  I’m not going to claim it’s even remotely tournament-worthy, but it’s hilariously Scummy!