EagleScoutof007

Thoughts on the new Heavies?

32 minutes ago, Matt Antilles said:

Yes 7 dice, but only at Range 2 right? And most are white dice, which....usually doesnt do well for me personally. 

that was my problem, you have 3 different weapons at three different ranges, so target saturation is not great unless you expose yourself and I just have a hard time getting rebel weapons to hit (white dice suck almost always)

2 hours ago, buckero0 said:

that was my problem, you have 3 different weapons at three different ranges, so target saturation is not great unless you expose yourself and I just have a hard time getting rebel weapons to hit (white dice suck almost always)

Put it on the table and check it out. It's better than you're giving it credit for.

5 minutes ago, thepopemobile100 said:

Considering that a single core is 1999 nickels, I would like to know exactly where you plan to get that many.

He has been saving nickels for who knows how long, but he saw those good looking models, and decided to change their purpose.

Or maybe he is gonna rob a bank

Who knows

28 minutes ago, thepopemobile100 said:

Considering that a single core is 1999 nickels, I would like to know exactly where you plan to get that many.

if you go through the third party sight i posted a few weeks ago its only 1600 nickels :-D.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, thepopemobile100 said:

I've been selling these health supplements. You should sell them, too.  You'd work for me, but really you'd be working for yourself. It's a win-win situation.

Seriously, though, I want the Landspeeder to finish up rebels until I see something more interesting, and I want that tank because I've always been a fan of APCs in games. I just gotta wait before dropping $110 on the pair. Also, these

51BYj5HX-TL._SX425_.jpg

Edited by qwertyuiop

22 hours ago, buckero0 said:

I tried running it last night with the Rocket Launcher, Ion hardpoint, HQ Uplink and Jockey. While expensive, it does give you 1 red, 2 black, and 5 white at range 4 which isn't bad with a surge to hit. If you recover every turn rather than aim, it reloads the Ion and keeps your heavy with an order every turn. And staying at range 4 with Cover and Armor 2 keeps it out of trouble. 

Downside is trying to maintain range 4 while facing your target and compulsory moving every turn. But I just need to practice the angles a little more. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Weikel said:

I tried running it last night with the Rocket Launcher, Ion hardpoint, HQ Uplink and Jockey. While expensive, it does give you 1 red, 2 black, and 5 white at range 4 which isn't bad with a surge to hit. If you recover every turn rather than aim, it reloads the Ion and keeps your heavy with an order every turn. And staying at range 4 with Cover and Armor 2 keeps it out of trouble. 

This is what I've been dying to know, is it worth it to load it up to the gills. Can it stay alive long enough to blow some stuff up or wipe out a couple of units.  If yes, then I'm in, running it naked or with one upgrade, never seemed to have enough hitting power to justify it's cost. I feel like this game generally favors offensive over defensive power anyway since cover, etc benefits both sides if played well. White dice suck because most of the time you'll miss.  I've got tons of Rebel guns that throw nothing but white dice and I need better keywords. There have been several "miss" upgrades so far on the rebel side and maybe the Imperial side, Just playing the game though, the imperials always seem to have it a little bit better with each upgrade or unit released.  I think the Imperial characters are better by just a bit as well most of the time.

Storms > rebs

Snows < Fleet

Speeder Bikes = At-RT this is a wash although they have completely different roles

Scouts > Rangers

Royal Guard >> Wookiees

Turrets I don't know - I like the rebel one better

Officers are the same

Occupier looks more ++ than Speeder

Boba > Chewie

Veers = Leia

Palpatine > Han

Vader < Luke

Krennic ??? Jyn

just my playing experience

Edited by buckero0

18 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

This is what I've been dying to know, is it worth it to load it up to the gills. Can it stay alive long enough to blow some stuff up or wipe out a couple of units.  If yes, then I'm in, running it naked or with one upgrade, never seemed to have enough hitting power to justify it's cost. I feel like this game generally favors offensive over defensive power anyway since cover, etc benefits both sides if played well. White dice suck because most of the time you'll miss.  I've got tons of Rebel guns that throw nothing but white dice and I need better keywords. There have been several "miss" upgrades so far on the rebel side and maybe the Imperial side, Just playing the game though, the imperials always seem to have it a little bit better with each upgrade or unit released.  I think the Imperial characters are better by just a bit as well most of the time.

Storms > rebs

Snows < Fleet

Speeder Bikes = At-RT this is a wash although they have completely different roles

Scouts > Rangers

Royal Guard >> Wookiees

Officers are the same

Boba > Chewie

Veers = Leia

Palpatine > Han

Vader < Luke

Krennic ??? Jyn

With the generic pilot the landspeeder has comparable durability to the airspeeder, but with one fewer hitpoints. Most of your damage is going to come from critical hits and impact as most units have difficulty rolling 5+ hits. I'd personally run it with the generic pilot, both crew, and the mark 2 blaster at 164 pts. Expensive, but that's a lot of damage at range 3.

As for the rest of this rebels are doing great still. They've done well at every competition so far, and I know several rebel players who would disagree with what you think is better.

I dropped Spleemo since I wanted to stay out of range 3, even if it's just 9 points. I'd rather have an extra trooper and it's not worth the 2 white to expose it to a lot more return fire.

My opponent ran Stormtroopers and Deathtroopers with DLT's and a sniper team. By staying at range 4, the deathtroopers were the only ones with a regular chance of damaging it and even then it was usually only a single hit between cover 2 and armor 2.

If my opponent had run an AT-ST or tank with longer range, I'd have Impact 3 and Ion coming back at them with the mobility to possibly outflank.

2 hours ago, Weikel said:

I dropped Spleemo since I wanted to stay out of range 3, even if it's just 9 points. I'd rather have an extra trooper and it's not worth the 2 white to expose it to a lot more return fire.

did you mainly fly up a side and flank to keep out of range?

2 hours ago, thepopemobile100 said:

As for the rest of this rebels are doing great still. They've done well at every competition so far, and I know several rebel players who would disagree with what you think is better.

yeah, I know its a little bit of an odd ball opinion, I feel the Imperial units are a bit better in side by side comparisons, but either better players (more serious) play Rebels and the higher cost of the Imperial units/characters pull them down a bit.

3 hours ago, buckero0 said:

Storms > rebs

Snows < Fleet

Scouts > Rangers

Royal Guard >> Wookiees

Officers are the same

Boba > Chewie

Veers = Leia

Palpatine > Han

Vader < Luke

Krennic ??? Jyn

Why do you think Scouts are better than Commandoes? It seems the exact opposite in my opinion.

2 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

Why do you think Scouts are better than Commandoes? It seems the exact opposite in my opinion.

I'm talking about the Strike teams only, I don't know why you'd use the larger group for the cost, you're better off almost always having a regular corps unit.

The only difference is the Scouts have better offensive dice, and the commandos have Scout 2.  I'll take better offensive dice every time.

4 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

The only difference is the Scouts have better offensive dice, and the commandos have Scout 2.  I'll take better offensive dice every time

Not true. Rebel commandos have attack surge, imperial scouts don't. They have the same damage output (statistically speaking).

1 hour ago, YuriPanzer said:

Not true. Rebel commandos have attack surge, imperial scouts don't. They have the same damage output (statistically speaking).

not when i roll them, i swear my dice only have blanks and surges

Speaking of scouts and commandos, has any thought of transporting them on the new heavies? I thought of a wounded strike team with sabatour(or possibly the sniper) if done well with the landspeeder could be interesting. Example: Strike team down to one mini, landspeeder picks up mini and flies to new location and mini disembarks. Its risky but may change the match if done right? Seems like fun to try out right?

5 hours ago, buckero0 said:

did you mainly fly up a side and flank to keep out of range?

I started on my right flank and turned left. I tried to fly perpendicular to the enemy front so I maintained the range 4 and kept the nearest target just barely within my front arc. I figured that's the only way to stay at range with compulsory movement.

2 hours ago, YuriPanzer said:

I have a better chance of getting 2 hits (which you kind of need) with black dice, no surge, and an aim than anything with a white dice. The odds of rolling a hit straight up may be even, but i think with other keywords getting involved and an aim token, the black dice always perform better.

17 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

I have a better chance of getting 2 hits (which you kind of need) with black dice, no surge, and an aim than anything with a white dice. The odds of rolling a hit straight up may be even, but i think with other keywords getting involved and an aim token, the black dice always perform better.

This was discussed in a prior thread. The math was brought up and it pointed to an almost identical performance statistically. Depending on circumstances, it's a 1-3 percent difference in favor of one or the other. You will not notice the difference while playing. Keywords are irrelevant to this argument as they both have the same ones, except rebels have a higher scout value.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, thepopemobile100 said:

This was discussed in a prior thread. The math was brought up and it pointed to an almost identical performance statistically. Depending on circumstances, it's a 1-3 percent difference in favor of one or the other. You will not notice the difference while playing. Keywords are irrelevant to this argument as they both have the same ones, except rebels have a higher scout value.

i've seen all the math and you're right, the difference is marginal. But just when you think of it the chance of rolling a hit on a black dice with a reroll is always higher than getting a hit on a white+surge with a reroll. So although the rebels black dice has a much higher chance to get a hit, the white dice has not and therefore its actually, even if just by a small margin, easier to get 2 hits with 2 black dice.

back to topic: tank seems really strong, and the landspeeder ist just anoying because you need dicepoopls >5 do even do a single damage or impact. and even iwth impact i needed 4 rounds of shooting with everything i got to take it down. i had 3 DLT storms and 2 DLT deaths.

Edited by Taiowaa

16 hours ago, buckero0 said:

I'm talking about the Strike teams only, I don't know why you'd use the larger group for the cost, you're better off almost always having a regular corps unit.

The only difference is the Scouts have better offensive dice, and the commandos have Scout 2.  I'll take better offensive dice every time.

i like the serge on commandos it seem to make up for the white dice when rolling

9 hours ago, Taiowaa said:

So although the rebels black dice has a much higher chance to get a hit, the white dice has not and therefore its actually, even if just by a small margin, easier to get 2 hits with 2 black dice.

It's also "easier" to get 2 blanks and thus not even deal Suppression.

On 4/30/2019 at 1:33 PM, thepopemobile100 said:

most units have difficulty rolling 5+ hits

How badly will the Clones screw up that mindset? And the Beachtroopers have that same coordinated fire ability too, yeah?

5 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

How badly will the Clones screw up that mindset? And the Beachtroopers have that same coordinated fire ability too, yeah?

Keep in mind that you need to be issuing orders to get the effects of Coordinate Fire. Clones will eventually have access to a Comms Tech and HQ uplink will give you an order in case you need it. Only the mortar on shoretroopers will have access to Coordinate Fire, and the critical value of that weapon is more dangerous to a vehicle than the 3 white dice it'll add to the attack.