EagleScoutof007

Thoughts on the new Heavies?

Posted (edited)

Now that the new Heavies are out, what do you think of them. I've tried the landspeeder so far and like it. I got Jyn to ride it to get closer to a supply crate in my match last night. What are your thoughts so far?

Edited by EagleScoutof007
Update

I have played against two tanks on tts and their attack is really good natively (no upgrades). I was able to take one out because of a lucky hit (5 crits in one shot and all went through), otherwise they can take a beating. I was playing Rebels, so my Impact options were limited, but I didn’t have any ion either. I’m not sure how it would fair against another imperial, cause each Stormtrooper unit would pretty much get Impact 2 as it is by no means a challenge to get in its side arc.

Its ability to carry Snows up to range one makes them a really effective snowtrooper alpha attack vrs another trooper unit.

I would say that Rebels are more helpless against the tank, unless they start carrying ion, but then that will make the Rebels less effective against lists without armour.

So overall, i’d say it’s worth the points. It’s fewer points than the AT-ST and is far more effective, since it can carry Snowtroopers up to range one and it can give cover 2 to any unit behind it. Oddly enough my opponent didn’t make use of the latter.

Haven't played with or against any of the new stuff yet, but I did observe a game with the tank.  Looks to be pretty powerful, but terrain dependent.  It needs long lines of sight and open areas to maneuver.  The game I watched had it trash an AT-ST pretty efficiently.  (repeated hits from Deathtroopers also helped)  Would love to see how it performs on a terrain heavy (urban or dense vegetation) table especially compared to an AT-ST.

4 hours ago, EagleScoutof007 said:

Landspeeder is fun so far. Kinda tempted to get a second one

It looks kinda tankie, especially if you add Outer Rim Speeder Jockey. Cover 2 and Armour 2.

The only problem I have is the cost of the upgrades, and since it only has 2 white to range 2 without them, you need the upgrades.

Since when did the Rebel stuff suddenly become more expensive than the imperial?

36 points for only 3 attack dice, or 34 for 4?! Even the AT-RT Rotary Blaster is cheaper at 30, but it has 5 dice!

To make this even odder, the Imperial weapons for the tank are 14 and 18 points. Granted they are only 2 dice for one of those weapons, but of course they’re both range 1-4. It really seems that the Imperials get a slight edge on the Rebels in every expansion. I just wonder when it will start to show in statistics.

3 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

It looks kinda tankie, especially if you add Outer Rim Speeder Jockey. Cover 2 and Armour 2.

The only problem I have is the cost of the upgrades, and since it only has 2 white to range 2 without them, you need the upgrades.

Since when did the Rebel stuff suddenly become more expensive than the imperial?

36 points for only 3 attack dice, or 34 for 4?! Even the AT-RT Rotary Blaster is cheaper at 30, but it has 5 dice!

To make this even odder, the Imperial weapons for the tank are 14 and 18 points. Granted they are only 2 dice for one of those weapons, but of course they’re both range 1-4. It really seems that the Imperials get a slight edge on the Rebels in every expansion. I just wonder when it will start to show in statistics.

Yeah my build with it last night was around 165 points. It managed to kill a sniper team, pick up Jyn then dropped her near a supply crate, and did 5 points of damage to an AT-ST in one shot before being blown up. The rocket crew member can shoot 360 and can shoot every round. My friends think it'll be a good sniper Hunter with the A-300 rifle crew and Mark II medium blaster.

6 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

I get where you're coming from from with your pessimism, but I don't think it's warranted yet.

If the weapons for the landspeeder were priced according to the RT or better yet the ST or T47, it would be overpowered for it's cost outright. Even when maxed out, this thing will be a cheaper option to the airspeeder with an even nastier punch to boot.

Imperial units tend to be very straightforward with their uses, which makes them easy to use effectively. That's been the case for most releases so far. Rebel releases tend to come with some unique gimmicks that need to be properly understood in order to be used well. Han is an example of this. Pathfinders and Jyn are currently being explored to figure out how to use them and will likely be fairly good once people get the hang of them.

1 minute ago, EagleScoutof007 said:

Yeah my build with it last night was around 165 points. It managed to kill a sniper team, pick up Jyn then dropped her near a supply crate, and did 5 points of damage to an AT-ST in one shot before being blown up. The rocket crew member can shoot 360 and can shoot every round. My friends think it'll be a good sniper Hunter with the A-300 rifle crew and Mark II medium blaster.

It’s true. The X-34 can get behind lines fast and the rocket crew is one of the Rebels few range 4 weapons, so I’m sure it will help in some way.

22 minutes ago, thepopemobile100 said:

I get where you're coming from from with your pessimism, but I don't think it's warranted yet.

If the weapons for the landspeeder were priced according to the RT or better yet the ST or T47, it would be overpowered for it's cost outright. Even when maxed out, this thing will be a cheaper option to the airspeeder with an even nastier punch to boot.

Imperial units tend to be very straightforward with their uses, which makes them easy to use effectively. That's been the case for most releases so far. Rebel releases tend to come with some unique gimmicks that need to be properly understood in order to be used well. Han is an example of this. Pathfinders and Jyn are currently being explored to figure out how to use them and will likely be fairly good once people get the hang of them.

You really can’t compare the price of the X-34 to the price of the T-47. The T-47 is anywhere from 30-60 points overpriced. Also the T-47 actually has better defense and attack than the X-34, (even when it’s fully kitted, 3red 3black Impact 3 with full armour and better health and resilience @175 points vrs 1red 5black 3white impact 2@154 points) > {though the X-34 can have 2 more white, but only at range 2}..

The X-34 should be cheaper fully kitted.

And suddenly it pessimism to point out a possible flaw?

16 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

You really can’t compare the price of the X-34 to the price of the T-47. The T-47 is anywhere from 30-60 points overpriced. Also the T-47 actually has better defense and attack than the X-34, (even when it’s fully kitted, 3red 3black Impact 3 with full armour and better health and resilience @175 points vrs 1red 5black 3white impact 2@154 points) > {though the X-34 can have 2 more white, but only at range 2}..

Except we can compare the price of those two. Wether or not you think the T47 is overpriced or not, it is at 175 until further notice. The X-34 should and is cheaper than it's competition.

1 red, 5 black, and 3 white are better than the T47s attack by a sizable margin as the T47 lacks surge. On defense, with the generic pilot, the 47 basically only has the extra hit and higher resilience. Armor 2 + cover 2 is difficult for most units to get through without crits or impact, which is also the only way to hurt the T47.

It's not pessimism to point out flaws. It is pessimistic to say that the imperial expansions are better than the rebels.

28 minutes ago, thepopemobile100 said:

It's not pessimism to point out flaws. It is pessimistic to say that the imperial expansions are better than the rebels.

No that’s a premise or a theory, but there is more to being polite and civil than just not swearing at someone. Adjectives matter, or were you just trying to put me in my place?

5 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

No that’s a premise or a theory, but there is more to being polite and civil than just not swearing at someone. Adjectives matter, or were you just trying to put me in my place?

I don't understand what you mean. A premise can be pessimistic if the outcome is a negative one. When you say that "It really seems that the Imperials get a slight edge on the Rebels in every expansion", that's a pessimistic outlook on the current situation.

When you guys are done arguing semantics

I habe the same misgivings about the cost or really what to give the landapeeder. The white guns are useless to me, as far are upgrades go. The rocket looks great but at that cost, I'm basically getting a tanky 360 speeder bike. Not a good value. I can't tell if the speeder is durable enough to give it the mounted guns and I'm not enthused about the efficiency of having to recover every turn with the ion gun. Then o feel obligated to put HQ uplink on it too. At that point i might have just brought extra corps with ion upgrades for less

Posted (edited)

They could've made the bed of the Occupier slightly bigger so that it could actually accommodate a 2x6 block of infantry bases without them engaging in wobbly model syndrome; like, 2mm wider would've done the trick.

Would've also have liked to get enough bitz for at least two pintle mount assemblies but that I can live with.

Edit: Well it is wide enough for a 2x6 block of the previously standard 25mm GW bases. Time to rebase my entire army XD

Edited by GreatMazinkaiser

12 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

The T-47 also has the least expensive black dice upgrade, 20 points for 4.

And with armor it’s flat out better defensively. Alongside being faster, and more maneuverable from having speeder 2. 

5 hours ago, buckero0 said:

When you guys are done arguing semantics

I habe the same misgivings about the cost or really what to give the landapeeder. The white guns are useless to me, as far are upgrades go. The rocket looks great but at that cost, I'm basically getting a tanky 360 speeder bike. Not a good value. I can't tell if the speeder is durable enough to give it the mounted guns and I'm not enthused about the efficiency of having to recover every turn with the ion gun. Then o feel obligated to put HQ uplink on it too. At that point i might have just brought extra corps with ion upgrades for less

Just ran one with the 2 heavy weapons and the speeder jockey.  130 for 7 dice attack that's annoying to get rid of is pretty solid.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MasterShake2 said:

Just ran one with the 2 heavy weapons and the speeder jockey.  130 for 7 dice attack that's annoying to get rid of is pretty solid.

You mean the 2 crew options? Hardpoints are 34/38 each

Both generic pilots are solid

Edited by buckero0

2 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

You mean the 2 crew options? Hardpoints are 34/38 each

Both generic pilots are solid

Crew, heavy weapon, whatever they're called.  Dude with Rifle, and chick with missile.  130 for a non-arc locked 7 dice is pretty legit.

2 hours ago, Qark said:

Anyone put the T-47 on the table with cover 2 yet?

Yeah i tried it...significantly improves the defensive abilities it ended the game undamaged even when my opponent fielded lots of DLT troopers.

18 hours ago, MasterShake2 said:

Crew, heavy weapon, whatever they're called.  Dude with Rifle, and chick with missile.  130 for a non-arc locked 7 dice is pretty legit.

Yes 7 dice, but only at Range 2 right? And most are white dice, which....usually doesnt do well for me personally.