Sign in to follow this  
FlyingAnchors

Help me Obi-Wan kenobi, you’re my only hope! (First tournament help)

Posted (edited)

So to make a long and rather complicated story short, we’re finally having our first legion tournament next month. We’re using prizes from the Q1 kit(?)(At-rt, snow trooper/fleet trooper double sided alt art). As I don’t want it to be our last, what are some basic for running a successful tournament? I’m going to be our walking goldenrod, so FAQ rulings are going to be mostly covered, but I wanted ask for some clarification on how do I approach things such as AT-STs height?

Some other questions, Deployment? (Should I do set scenarios for each table or play as normal?) should I go cover light or cover heavy? How do I create a “fair board”? 

Thank you in advance!

Edited by FlyingAnchors

Tables should have set terrain, with suggested cover values of what's on the table.  (That's what I did when we had our local tournament, and it seemed to work)  Scenarios/deployment should be left to the players.  I recommend a mix of terrain types and amounts.  At least have the minimum 25% on all boards, but don't design a table around one specific play style. 

Here’s an album with the tables we used at adepticon. Maybe you can draw some inspiration from it: 

Make sure you give yourself enough time for the event. Right now the recommended format is 15 minutes for setup, 2:15 in the round. You can also add 15 minutes on the backend to finish the round you are on, but you don’t get to start another. 

Like others said, you should not determine battle cards, the players should follow the rules in the OP document to figure out what type of game they’re going to play.

For conversions: you are going to have the final say as TO. Significant modifications to the model are a no-go according to the OP document, but you’re the one who has to make that call. You can always tell people to email conversions to you beforehand to ensure they’re fair. 

One thing that is also recommended is to check lists when your players check in. They should bring two copies, one for you, one to show their opponents each round. The copy they should you should have battle card and command hand info on it. 

What tournament software do you plan on using? I recommend Table Top TO - there’s a number of reasons why it’s a great piece of tech, though I mostly like it because I can check the time left in the round on my phone easily! 

Shoot more questions if you got em! 

On 4/21/2019 at 10:07 AM, Alpha17 said:

Tables should have set terrain, with suggested cover values of what's on the table.  (That's what I did when we had our local tournament, and it seemed to work)  Scenarios/deployment should be left to the players.  I recommend a mix of terrain types and amounts.  At least have the minimum 25% on all boards, but don't design a table around one specific play style. 

On 4/21/2019 at 11:21 AM, TalkPolite said:

Here’s an album with the tables we used at adepticon. Maybe you can draw some inspiration from it: 

Make sure you give yourself enough time for the event. Right now the recommended format is 15 minutes for setup, 2:15 in the round. You can also add 15 minutes on the backend to finish the round you are on, but you don’t get to start another. 

Like others said, you should not determine battle cards, the players should follow the rules in the OP document to figure out what type of game they’re going to play.

For conversions: you are going to have the final say as TO. Significant modifications to the model are a no-go according to the OP document, but you’re the one who has to make that call. You can always tell people to email conversions to you beforehand to ensure they’re fair. 

One thing that is also recommended is to check lists when your players check in. They should bring two copies, one for you, one to show their opponents each round. The copy they should you should have battle card and command hand info on it. 

What tournament software do you plan on using? I recommend Table Top TO - there’s a number of reasons why it’s a great piece of tech, though I mostly like it because I can check the time left in the round on my phone easily! 

Shoot more questions if you got em! 

Thank you both, that helps a lot. 

The only problem I can think of now is the command cards. For context, we’re looking at possibly dropping to 400 points and play on a 3x3, since we have an influx of players who just bought in and don’t have a full 800 point list. 

Not sure how the deployment zones work on a 3x3, but I’m hoping to test this weekend.