gmcc

people that want to start playing... where to start ?

So i want to experience this game but the game had some changes until now with new edition and stuff.. what u recommend getting to start playing and kicking a** :P ?

i know a core set is pretty much garanteed but after that ?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, millertime059 said:

So do you have a favorite ship or faction? That’s the most important question.

that's hard .. i love falcon, luke x-wing, maul ship , vader tie, kyloe tie, boba slaveI , etc.. i like both sides but maybe a little slighter to dark side ( imperials )

Edited by gmcc

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, gmcc said:

that's hard .. i love falcon, luke x-wing, maul ship , vader tie, kyloe tie, boba slaveI , etc.. i like both sides but maybe a little slighter to dark side ( imperials )

Well, those ships  are all different factions in the game (there’s far more than two sides - seven I think now?).    If you prefer “Dark Side”  and like the idea of using force powers, you’ll want either Imperial (They have Vader and will soon be getting reprints iof Inquisitors) or Separatists.  They’re  new (and their new faction set would be a good second purchase) and have access to some Dark side force users like Maul and Dooku.  

Edited by AlexW

When I started a month or two ago, my first purchases after the core set were the TIE, TIE Advanced X1 (Vader's ship), X-wing and Y-wing expansions. It meant I could play casually with friends using full-size squads that still have a surprising amount of options, and meant I could try out the rebels and imperials before deciding which to invest in further. I'd thoroughly recommend any new players doing something similar. 

My son and I have been playing for about 6 months and we have a small collection of three different factions.  We mix and match as we please and just play with the ships we like.  We aren't going into tournaments or anything so just build our squads how we feel.

Rebels: 2 x T65 X-Wings, 1 x Y-Wing, Sabine's Tie Fighter, The Ghost, The Phantom ii, The Phantom

Scum: 1 x Slave I, 1 x Fang Fighter, 1 x Mining Guild Tie Fighter

Imperials: 2 x Tie Ln, 1 X Tie Advanced X1

I started during 1st edition, by collecting ships from both the Empire and Rebels, got Scum (and FO and Resistance) later for the necessary upgrades, but i've converted only the Empire and Rebels to second edition. Wasn't sure what i'd like back then, nowadays i'm mostly Empire player.

I would recommend getting a bit of both the Empire and Rebels. They offer options from swarms to arc dodging aces to synergistic abilities to more tanky ships, letting you try things out and if you have enough ships, you can play with friends with your ships.

It is easier to select a faction once/if you try all factions, if you have local scene at local gaming shop, you could go play with them and ask if you can try others' stuff out (either whole lists or borrow ships to complement what you got already).

If you do find a favorite faction, you can probably sell or trade other ships if you have no interest to keep them.

Do you know people that already play the game, or do you have a local gaming store with players? If yes, ask to try out different ships and factions until you think you have found a faction you want to play.

If your answer was no, watch some streams (search the likes of Gold Squadron, First Earth, Weekend Warlords, VTTV on Youtube), to see what ships you like the look of.

Once you settle on a faction buy a few ships for that faction. I would advise sticking with second edition ships for now, as you won't require a conversion kit.

If you want to start kicking A then you need to learn how to fly. By that I mean: practice the fundamentals. Learn to not bump, learn to move around obstacles, learn to eyeball ranges, etc.

Personally, I'd suggest flying Imperials. Lots of variety of ships and pilots. Currently they just have Vader for force users but soon (ish) the TIE Advanced v1 will be available with the inquisitors in tow. They can be challenging but are lots of fun.

1 hour ago, gmcc said:

So i want to experience this game but the game had some changes until now with new edition and stuff.. what u recommend getting to start playing and kicking a** :P ?

i know a core set is pretty much garanteed but after that ?

So, there are two editions of X-Wing. Second edition stuff comes in black boxes. First edition stuff can't be used in second edition without buying a conversion kit for that faction.

Speaking of factions, there are seven - the Rebel Alliance, the Empire, Scum and Villainy, the Resistance, the First Order, the Galactic Republic, and the Separatist Alliance. Each are entirely separate from the rest.

Every new player needs the second edition core set. Beyond that, they should pick whichever faction they think is coolest, and then:

Rebels: pick any two of: X-Wing, Y-Wing, Saw's Renegades. You can get all three if you want.

Empire: This faction I'm the least sure about. Maybe pick any two of: TIE Advanced, 2x TIE Fighters OR 1x TIE Striker,  TIE Reaper? Somebody else can probably give better advice.

Scum: Pick three of: Falcon, Firespray, Fang, 2x Mining TIEs, 2x Z-95s.

Republic: Just buy one of everything. Easy. 

Separatists: One infiltrator, two Servants of Strife? Probably.

Resistance: 2x T-70s and 2x A-Wings, and/or buy the conversion kit and a 1.0 Starfortress and Falcon.

First Order: Either wait for wave 4 and live without an Upsilon, or buy the conversion kit, a 1.0 Silencer, Upsilon, TIE /sf, and/or replace any one of those things with like 2-3 TIE /fo.

I'd talk to your locals and see if you can grab a damage deck and set of cardboard templates off them.  Most will have an extra of each for you.

From there, I'd simply look at Republic and start with that.  You aren't chasing cards or ships with that faction.

1 x Guardian pack

1 x Aethersprite expansion

2 x Arc (could argue 3).

Go have fun.  Lots of mix and match stuff there you can plug in and mess with.  Not sure if the Barnes and Noble's deal is still in effect but I'd definitely look there at the BOGO 50%.  

Republic offers aces in the way of Jedi.  Beef in arcs.  Blockers in Torrents.  And a wide variety of playstyles in between.  All ships are being produced right now and have stuff in coming up in future releases.  It's a great mix and match faction with a deep list building and playstyle available for such a low ship count.

Another option is to look for people selling out of the game. You can usually pick up them and a conversion kit for vastly less than retail, even if you can find those ships in shops.

However, I’d probably choose Republic or CIS to dive into as for the squadron pack and a blister you get a variety of decent competitive squads.

If there are enough people in your area that have larger collections, ask to try flying some ideas they have so you can see what list type you like.

If you’re more looking into the dark side factions, I’d recommend Empire or CIS. CIS will be more spammy ships with a couple of heavier hitters like Maul. Empire has ace potential as well as efficiency squads with the tie fighter.

If you go Empire, buy 1x advanced x1, 2x tie fighters, and then you can look into whether you want strikers and/or a reaper. For sure pick up the inquisitors tie when it comes out in wave 5.

Vader plus 4 ties (core set plus the two blisters) is a relatively affordable and decent enough squad. Strikers are cool but take a little more experience to get the most out of them.

Posted (edited)

Speaking of experience, I didn't suggest going CIS/Separatist for two reasons: 1) their flight style is more different than the other factions (just wait until the Nantucket comes out) and 2) you're going to want at minimum 4 Drones plus the infiltrator; ideally seven or eight Drones so you have list building options.

Edited by Force Majeure

thanks for the tips guys. well since i never played the game i wanted to get something easy to use but good at the same time. as for the ships, i know some of them are in 1.0 and others on 2.0 , wich is kinda sad. My local has only 3-4 players wich makes it hard with schedule being changed week to week so not my best option.. Btw will Raider come to 2.0 ? i loved that ship ( im aware of its price though. )

Based on my experience, expand off the Core Set. Either get another T-65 X-Wing and a Y-Wing or two to four TIE fighters. Use generic pilots and no upgrades. The goal at first is to learn how to fly ships on the board because this wins or looses games. Getting named aces and fancy upgrades will cause confusion, distract you during the game, and give you a false sense of security. All of this I learned from hard won experience. Many times I have ditched upgrades in future games because I did not put them to good use during previous games. After six months of playing I feel like I am getting comfortable with aces' abilities and can use a few upgrades that match my style of play at the moment. This will all change as I continue to get more experience. 

Two core sets, a y wing, and a tie advanced will give you some.good options, and having extra dice and an extra damage deck/templates is great to have as well.  After that you can add saws renegades and a reaper or decimator

I’ll piggyback on this thread and say I’m really tempted to try to start playing this with the addition of CIS and GAR. Nantex and ARC are some of my favorite fighters. Some good info here and I’ll keep watching here to see if there are more suggestions.

As a seasoned player it's easy to forget getting two core sets as @powersink suggests. Double the dice, back up templates and damage deck plus you get three ships for cheap. The expansion suggestions he offers are spot on too: If you go Rebels, the Saw's Renegades expansion is also a good value. If you go Imperials, you'll already have four TIE fighters, so a TIE Advanced X1 and a Reaper are great additions.

If you get one of the four new factions it’s cheaper/easier to get all the ships to be competitive and enjoy. I started a year ago and to collect 6 of the 7 costs a fair bit. 

I highly recommend getting into Republic as a new player. They have a wide variety of play styles they can support and if tournaments are something you are very interested in, some very strong tournament lists as well, also with different play styles. It isn't cheap, but no minis game is!

To get everything you'll need:

2 Guardians of the Republic

1 Aethersprite

3 ARC-170s

Pretty much every tournament-tested list can be built from this purchase list, and you have a ton of room to tinker and play different combinations of ships too!

Where to start?

I know that there are much more expensive hobbies out there, but you may wish to still spend a few minutes to take your wallet out, sit with it outside during the nice spring breeze and slowly explain to it that a lot more will be expected of him over the next few months / years.  That it is better to accept the upcoming punishment now :P

In all seriousness, however, the best advice that I can give if you have a nice community is to see if you can borrow anything to give a try one evening before purchasing.  If, for example, you thought that there was a sick combo with 4 jumpmasters, then see if you can borrow them before committing.  Again, for the sake of your (soon to be abused) wallet :)