4fox100

What are the archetypes now?

Posted (edited)

Pardon the ignorance gentleman. I am a 1.0 player that is looking to get back into things. I know back in 1.0 we had things like Parattini, Palp Aces, Thug life, bombing Ks, Defenders, Super Poe, Fenn Rau, etc. I am just curious about what the archetypes and combos are now so I know what to build for and fly against. Thanks and stay frosty gents.

Edited by 4fox100

Posted (edited)

Things have changed a bit since the start of 2.0 and I don’t think Republic and Separatist factions have been around long enough to integrate into the meta yet.

Quad Phantoms is very good even after a (small) nerf. Fat Han is the flavor of the month and Five RZ-2 A-wings has become super hip. Rebel beef (four Rebel ships with super-cheap Leia) is a solid contender. Still a lot of three ship ace lists starring ships like Poe, Kylo, Soontir, Whisper, etc.

Some meta contenders got nerfed into oblivion (a lot of scum) and others never fully developed into a threat that seemed to be emerging (lists like triple Upsilon). Other lists benefitted from recent points changes (like 5 Y-wings).

Of course, I guess I should also say there are two metas now - Extended format (everything) and Hyperspace (limited to certain ships and upgrades.) Although certain lists will appear in both, you have things to prepare for in both formats that are different. All formats are in the app and points can now change dynamically with FFG updates, so this is a new factor that changes the meta in addition to new releases.

Edited by dadocollin

Gonna try and cover everything in as simple and boiled down way as possible, in vague order of seeming popularity, because I fancy the challenge.

Beef. Aces. 4x Phantom. Ace(s) + Mini Swarm. Formation Swarm. Loose Swarm. Fat Han. Unquantifiable Scum Weirdness.

How did I do?

Basically. There is beef and Phantoms. Everything else crops up and can be flown well or flown well against, but these 2 need to be planned for and will need to be dealt with.

And there is now Han. But nobody really knows how it needs to be built for, if it's actually a meta powerhouse, whether it will last more than 5 min, or seemingly anything at all. Yet. Apart from it is clearly a looney thing and is very capable of upsetting people. Ignore it and hope it goes away.

Posted (edited)

Han & Wedge

6 Tie swarm

Vader + tie mini swarm (Howl, Iden, 2 I1 ties)

Vader (Hate & FCS), Soontir & X (where X is a Phantom or another Tie Advanced)

Wedge, Dutch, B-Wing, U-Wing

5 A wings

Fenn, Guri & X

Edited by pakirby

(I guess this is more of topic asking for 'what is the current meta', not archetypes, like 'swarms, aces, bombers, control, alpha strike, handshakes, etc.)

On 4/21/2019 at 7:35 AM, Estarriol said:

You know what? The meta is so open that you could come up against anything. Fly what you love and so long as you have crafted a sane list it’ll have as good a chance as everything else.

I agree with this. Flying a "sane" list "correctly" so that you can get your actions and mods will get you pretty far. Most of the abilities and things feel like something you have to setup with good flying.

I ran and ARC with 7th Fleet Gunner with H. Perception/CLT Ahsoka. Lined up a range one Bullseye with a Focus and TL and the additional die from the Gunner and shot at I7. Devastating. Had to earn that with good flying though. It is "in" the list but I didn't just get handed it for flying out of the deployment. 

No matter your list you have to fly well. Pick something you like and learn to fly it. You should be fine. 

On 4/20/2019 at 6:04 PM, dadocollin said:

Things have changed a bit since the start of 2.0 and I don’t think Republic and Separatist factions have been around long enough to integrate into the meta yet.

Quad Phantoms is very good even after a (small) nerf. Fat Han is the flavor of the month and Five RZ-2 A-wings has become super hip. Rebel beef (four Rebel ships with super-cheap Leia) is a solid contender. Still a lot of three ship ace lists starring ships like Poe, Kylo, Soontir, Whisper, etc.

Some meta contenders got nerfed into oblivion (a lot of scum) and others never fully developed into a threat that seemed to be emerging (lists like triple Upsilon). Other lists benefitted from recent points changes (like 5 Y-wings).

Of course, I guess I should also say there are two metas now - Extended format (everything) and Hyperspace (limited to certain ships and upgrades.) Although certain lists will appear in both, you have things to prepare for in both formats that are different. All formats are in the app and points can now change dynamically with FFG updates, so this is a new factor that changes the meta in addition to new releases.

Nice summary.  I quoted it to note that I flew a Separatist list just recently that tore through Fat Han like a swarm of Buzz Droids - in fact, the Buzz Droids were the kill point.

3 minutes ago, Skitch_ said:

I want to hear more about this. Quantify please.

An ongoing phenomena wherein someone will bring an assortment of Scum ships, with hitherto unthought of interactions, to a tournament and kick everyone's a55 with it. It will then be all over the place for a couple weeks and gain 20+ points in the next update.

Nobody knows where it will strike next.

Posted (edited)

WARNING: Scum ramblings ahead...

im working on some scum weirdness of my own... lets just say Ketsu and the shadowcaster ship in general is better than ppl think and none is gonna see my asajjj squad coming. turns out the Shadowcaster title is a real pain in the a55 to play against.

for the record boba fetts demise at least in hyperspace has been greatly exaggerated. 

swarms and mini swarms are becoming more prevalent. i suspect they r better in hyperspace but still decent option in extended.

Rebel Han is getting all the press but scum han is kinda good too... doesn have the raw power of his rebel clone but still does nice work for scum thanks to trickshot and Lando title. Gas clouds are popping up for sure, trickshot han just packs cargo chute and tells his wingmen to pack them too.

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

18 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

scum han is kinda good too... doesn have the raw power of his rebel clone but still does nice work for scum thanks to trickshot and Lando title. Gas clouds are popping up for sure, trickshot han just packs cargo chute and tells his wingmen to pack them too.

I don't think Trick Shot Han cares about gas clouds.  They are still obstacles and still obstruct shots, so he still gets his dice bonuses.  Unless you're talking about the debris field type specifically, which the title would care about the stress from...?

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

Gas clouds are popping up for sure, trickshot han just packs cargo chute and tells his wingmen to pack them too.

Lancer, Z-95, YT-1300.

RCC and Jabba on Han, Cloaking device on the Z, Vizago and RCC on the Lancer

Turn one Vizago switches the cloaking device for the RCC

Now you have a Z-95 that poops out several HUGE debris clouds and a Falcon that can cloak over and over.

It's stupid but hilarious.

You're welcome.

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum and Villainy&d=v6!s=200!89:133,,39,,83,96,,152:;156:127,,91,:;126:121,25,95,96,106,160:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Edited by ClassicalMoser

1 hour ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Lancer, Z-95, YT-1300.

RCC and Jabba on Han, Cloaking device on the Z, Vizago and RCC on the Lancer

Turn one Vizago switches the cloaking device for the RCC

Now you have a Z-95 that poops out several HUGE debris clouds and a Falcon that can cloak over and over.

It's stupid but hilarious.

You're welcome.

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum and Villainy&d=v6!s=200!89:133,,39,,83,96,,152:;156:127,,91,:;126:121,25,95,96,106,160:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

isnt rigged cargo chute medium or large base only?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

Yep, and Cloaking device is small or medium only.

But per FAQ, Vizago doesn't care.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

19 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

The limitation only applies during list building. It's why there are a few YV-666 pilot + Vizago builds focused on passing cloak around (the upgrade's check only happens if the card is actually equipped to the cloaked ship, so the upgrade can be passed after the ship equipped with it cloaks and will only decloak when the player want's to spend the token) floating around out there. Though all of the ones I remember had Jabba + 1 other crew on the YV-666 which isn't possible anymore.

Fat Han - he can stop with dampners or move and boost, all while regening his last shield back, and does either stress free with kanan crew, or has a shot every round with luke gunner). You cannot predict where he is going cuz he might not decide to go there. That is the problem.

Poe and Friends - Poe and three awings or Poe, Nein, Lulo. Either way, they are shify, crafty and unpredictable (this becomes a theme). BlackOne carrier can get behind your squad, while awings send you for a loop not flying they way you are use to.

Rebel Beef - Lots of Ywings, Uwings, Bwings, and Xwings. Just mix up your favorites and make sure Leia crew is in there and have 30+ health to chew through.

Quad Phantoms - Only in extended format. Unpredictable (ding ding) with 4 cloaking ships, and tough because they all have evade and focus.

Vader and Friends aka Tie Salad - Vader with at least afterburners and three hard hitting, maneuverable ships (usually reaper and striker and Tie, and some have 3 named strikers, or two reapers, etc). The 3 ships kill what they can quickly, and Vader cleans up.

Imp Aces - Vader Soontir and either Dutchess, Maarek, or Vermeil with a LARGE bid of like 10+. They move last and hit hard.

Tie Swarm - yeah, they are back, more so in hyperspace since there are less threats. 

Republic - Still new and people working things out but it appears Anakin is the main player. Anakin, Ashoka, 2 v19s or Wolffe seems to be the top contenders for the faction at the moment. Support Jedi and Triple Arcs is a thing also.

Separatists - people still working them out. Wat and 6 vultures seems to be popular or Maul and 5 vultures. Double siths are tough, but I wouldnt consider any of these Meta at this point.

Kylo Killers - Kylo and two Upsilons. Upsilons donwhat they can and Kylo pounces on the injured and cleans up. Lots of beef and a force ace. Tough in the right hands, weak in the wrong hands. May not see it a lot, but of there is first order being played, this probably is it.

Scum - All over the place. In extended look for Drea and 3 scurggs. All double tapping with rerolls. In hyperspace its usually Fenn or Boba and they usually have adv sensors Guri or else Old Teroch and an escape shuttle to coordinate. Can be tricky to deal with, especially with lower ps ships. 

Posted (edited)

Archetype 1 - maximum 4 ARCs in 200 points

Archetype 2 - not enough ARCs

Separatists unconventional mechanics are REALLY tempting, though. Grevous (crew) on a real tanky Dooku, techno union man (beezlebub) + kraken (which lets him calculate and trigger himself), and some Vultures seem mean 

Edited by ficklegreendice