Captain Lackwit

V-19 Torrent study: How to utilize?

8 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

The golds were utterly underwhelming. They did basically zero damage the whole game. And then died. Yes it let me get into end game with two one health Jedi but still. 

Sounds like they did their jobs then! Did you end up winning with the Jedi? If so, the GST's sacrifice was worth it.

I recently played Anakin, Mace, and 2 Golds. Loved it. As has been mentioned before, line up the Golds in the center and yell "HONOR" as you fly them directly at your opponent's main forces. Anakin and Mace fly on the flanks, Anakin can arc dodge and Mace is probably the best Jedi for taking the Force evade with his ability to gain another force back on the red maneuvers, making turning on them a risky business especially if you are running R2 units on them both. If they do, the Golds will get a bunch of shots. If they turn on the Golds they just handed you two turns to get the Jedi in a superior position.

ListFortress shows either people doing really well or really poorly, making me think that this is definitely a low-floor-high-ceiling type of list.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Eruletho said:

Sounds like they did their jobs then! Did you end up winning with the Jedi? If so, the GST's sacrifice was worth it.

Well. In contrast to my point and yours, the game I played was kind of a weird one. Cuz, I was just getting used to the Republic at large (heck I rolled 3 defense die like real aces a few times as the Delta7b in the opening rounds). While teaching the game also to some new players, we made a number of mistakes. 

To answer your question, no, technically I didn't win, we went to time, with both Jedi on 1 health. No true, things were looking better and better with each passing turn, as a vulture now popped every turn, but still. With 2 defense vs the energy shells, it was a tough game. 

--

So yes, in take away. I probably do need more data points to say if I really don't like GSTs or not. 

Also, How do people generally fly Ahsoka + Anakin? Together? Or split flank? I think Ahsoka seems to good to not be near Anakin. Also, should she use CLT instead of Delta 7b? Loss of the green die is pretty brutal. 

Edited by Blail Blerg

1 hour ago, Blail Blerg said:

Well. In contrast to my point and yours, the game I played was kind of a weird one. Cuz, I was just getting used to the Republic at large (heck I rolled 3 defense die like real aces a few times as the Delta7b in the opening rounds). While teaching the game also to some new players, we made a number of mistakes. 

To answer your question, no, technically I didn't win, we went to time, with both Jedi on 1 health. No true, things were looking better and better with each passing turn, as a vulture now popped every turn, but still. With 2 defense vs the energy shells, it was a tough game. 

--

So yes, in take away. I probably do need more data points to say if I really don't like GSTs or not. 

Also, How do people generally fly Ahsoka + Anakin? Together? Or split flank? I think Ahsoka seems to good to not be near Anakin. Also, should she use CLT instead of Delta 7b? Loss of the green die is pretty brutal. 

I don't fly Ahsoka, but she's a flanker like Anakin. You basically use her ability on herself to get TL+focus and go to town.

Generally, using CLT is harder lower I pilots, so 7b is the way for her.

So somehow this fits and gonna try it tomorrow:

Luminara + Delta

Mace + Delta + Heightened Perception

3 x Goldies

200 exactly....

It offers some flexibility in firing arcs, blockers, hitters, and damage mitigation.  I'm very interested in how much damage Luminara can keep off the troopers to keep them alive another turn or two.

2 hours ago, viedit said:

So somehow this fits and gonna try it tomorrow:

Luminara + Delta

Mace + Delta + Heightened Perception

3 x Goldies

200 exactly....

It offers some flexibility in firing arcs, blockers, hitters, and damage mitigation.  I'm very interested in how much damage Luminara can keep off the troopers to keep them alive another turn or two.

Unfortunately, it lets your opponent decide who has initiative.

Got my backside handed to me by this at the open...

(54) "Sinker" [ARC-170 Starfighter]
(3) Clone Commander Cody

(42) 104th Battalion Pilot [ARC-170 Starfighter]

(25) Gold Squadron Trooper [V-19 Torrent Starfighter]

Total points: 199

Though I suspect if I had tried for the Torrents rather than the Arcs I may have fared better...

Imagine a Howlrunner swarm, but with 38 health.

In my mind 'Torrents = 2 x Gold'

That's it. Pair of clones moving around, plinking away, possibly blocking, and giving the opponent something to consider whilst my Jedi/ARC combos do their thang.

They can do that job, and I'm happy spending the 50 points. They don't do lots, but they also do lots. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Estarriol said:

(54) "Sinker" [ARC-170 Starfighter]
(3) Clone Commander Cody

(42) 104th Battalion Pilot [ARC-170 Starfighter]

Total points: 199

Was this list actually good? 

Was Sinker worth it? What about Cody? 

I tried 4 arcs.  Ugh. Avoid rocks is brutal. Honestly, the Arc dial flies like a lame duck. And the shhtty red barrel roll doesn't help. 

Arcs got much worse from 1.0, cuz of the extra clumsiness of being a medium base. And the barrel rolls being red (opposed to the upgrade). I think if the barrel roll was white, it'd be pretty okay. Red, its just. a grueling pain that screams for extra mods like Palp or Sinker or an extra die or something. 

Edited by Blail Blerg

2 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

I tried 4 arcs.  Ugh. Avoid rocks is brutal. Honestly, the Arc dial flies like a lame duck. And the shhtty red barrel roll doesn't help. 

Arcs got much worse from 1.0, cuz of the extra clumsiness of being a medium base. And the barrel rolls being red (opposed to the upgrade). I think if the barrel roll was white, it'd be pretty okay. Red, its just. a grueling pain that screams for extra mods like Palp or Sinker or an extra die or something. 

Well, it kicked my backside, went 5-1 and top 32 at the UKSO. I think it’s solid, but how it would fare against a decent CIS swarm I couldn’t tell you. It has a choice of five blockers, effectively full mods if flown correctly and so much hull to chew through.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Well, the larger base size comes with some improvements, too.    They move faster, block better, and fire in a wider arc.    The last point also has the advantage of making their side arcs quite substantial (already larger than the front arc), which both Sinker and Jag’s abilities are based off of.     This allows Range 2 to cover a very large area. 

The medium.m base take some getting used to for sure, though, as I did end up bumping them early when I flew multiples (and they were my first medium base to fly).   Now I find them pretty maneuverable and am able to fit them place large bases can’t.

One last addition is that the use of that rear arc is key to getting the most out of them.

Edited by AlexW

My main list has four basic Gold Squads as it's core. Plus two other ships. It's also undefeated. 25 points for a ship that's basically as survivable as a first Ed X-wing and basic attack power on a dial similar to a B-wing. They're awesome as just blockers who survive and shoot.

7 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

I also played against the list after it was knocked out of the top 32 and came across into hyperspace. I got a little bit lucky on the opening exchange where I was able to trade 1 of my GSTs for the 104th Arc. Sinker was really good for him, and Cody did trigger a couple times, but I was able to win the matchup by just losing my GSTs, keeping both my Jedi (Anakin, Luminara) above half health (partially thanks to R2s on both) and after the initial merge leading them on a chase around the board which thinned the mass of enemy ships out enough to not take too many shots at once. Think I ended up taking out 2 enemy Torrents and halved another, along with the Arc I took down at the start. Tough game, and I can see why it did well - if you fly into the teeth of it it's going to do a lot of damage to you and not die quickly. If you can take Sinker out it makes things easier, but I had a couple of range 1s on the other Arc and chose to go there instead to try and reduce the number of firing arcs I needed to avoid.

50 minutes ago, Red42 said:

I also played against the list after it was knocked out of the top 32 and came across into hyperspace. I got a little bit lucky on the opening exchange where I was able to trade 1 of my GSTs for the 104th Arc. Sinker was really good for him, and Cody did trigger a couple times, but I was able to win the matchup by just losing my GSTs, keeping both my Jedi (Anakin, Luminara) above half health (partially thanks to R2s on both) and after the initial merge leading them on a chase around the board which thinned the mass of enemy ships out enough to not take too many shots at once. Think I ended up taking out 2 enemy Torrents and halved another, along with the Arc I took down at the start. Tough game, and I can see why it did well - if you fly into the teeth of it it's going to do a lot of damage to you and not die quickly. If you can take Sinker out it makes things easier, but I had a couple of range 1s on the other Arc and chose to go there instead to try and reduce the number of firing arcs I needed to avoid.

So what is your Jedi squad?

Thoughts on this:

All I3’s-

Ahsoka- R4-P17, spare parts (56)

Sinker- proton torps, R3 astro, synch console (71) 

2x blue squadron protectors- cluster missiles, synch console (2x 36= 72)

Total points = 199

17 minutes ago, jblum23 said:

Thoughts on this:

All I3’s-

Total points = 199

WAAAAY too many points in upgrades.  Those two torrents may as well be three and don't like putting a lot of points into arcs.

29 minutes ago, jblum23 said:

Thoughts on this:

All I3’s-

Total points = 199

More like this for me:

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Ahsoka Tano - 59
    •Ahsoka Tano - “Snips" (47)
        •R4-P17 (5)
        Calibrated Laser Targeting (4)
        Heightened Perception (3)

ARC-170 Starfighter - •“Sinker” - 68
    •“Sinker” - Wolfpack Veteran (54)
        R3 Astromech (3)
        Synchronized Console (2)
        Seventh Fleet Gunner (9)

V-19 Torrent Starfighter - Blue Squadron Protector - 34
    Blue Squadron Protector - (29)
        Cluster Missiles (5)

V-19 Torrent Starfighter - Blue Squadron Protector - 34
    Blue Squadron Protector - (29)
        Cluster Missiles (5)

Total: 195/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder 

I would probably fly them in a mixed squad rather than a swarm of them. Most probably I would give them the role of formation barkers equipping them with Ion missiles and use them as blockers to set up an Ace for the kills.
A typical squad I would use them in would look something like this:

Anakin Skywalker (60)    
    Battle Meditation (15)    
    R4-P17 (5)    
    Calibrated Laser Targeting (10)    

104th Battalion Pilot (42)    
    Seventh Fleet Gunner (9)    

Gold Squadron Trooper (25)    
    Ion Missiles (4)    

Gold Squadron Trooper (25)    
    Ion Missiles (4)

Total: 199    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Republic&d=v6!s=200!273:212,214,200,:;341:,,227,,:;321:101,:;321:101,:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=