Sign in to follow this  
spacht

Using the "Return to"-scenarios on the first playthrough?

I'm about to start my first playthrough of Arkham Horror LCG and i'm not sure how to handle the "Return to"-scenarios. Are they upgrades or variations of the original scenarios?

A little of both, honestly.  They add more variety in the encounter sets and some locations, but they also fix a few bad design choices in the originals.

If it's your first first playthrough, I'd do Night of the Zealot first.  For Dunwich I don't think there's really any advantage to playing the base version, and I'd just go to Return.

1 hour ago, Buhallin said:

A little of both, honestly.  They add more variety in the encounter sets and some locations, but they also fix a few bad design choices in the originals.

If it's your first first playthrough, I'd do Night of the Zealot first.  For Dunwich I don't think there's really any advantage to playing the base version, and I'd just go to Return.

I agree.

Thanks for the answers. I think i will just start with the vanilla Night of the Zealot and then see where my fancy takes me.

23 hours ago, Buhallin said:

Well, in my take on Rtt:DL with Yorrik and Preston both got wiped in their First turn in the essex county Express. There was bad luck involved to be sure but i was annoyed nevertheless. It was fun imagining the situation though :D

7 minutes ago, Raahk said:

Well, in my take on Rtt:DL with Yorrik and Preston both got wiped in their First turn in the essex county Express. There was bad luck involved to be sure but i was annoyed nevertheless. It was fun imagining the situation though :D

Definitely needs spoiler tags, but I'm really curious how this happened :D

I would play the first time through Zealot in base. The first scenario is basically a tutorial, and using Return makes it much larger and more complex. 

Overall I would suggest one run through any base campaign before upgrading with Return stuff.

Posted (edited)

Here is my description of how my group of 2 investigators got wiped turn 1 one on Essex County Express with the Rt:DL-Box

Somehow Preston Fairmont, the Millionaire, decides it would be best to save a few dollars and seat himself with his friend yorrik outside, beside a crate on a goods carriage. No first or second class carriage, a freaking goods carriage. Being outside, when the vortex appears and begins tearing on the last wagon, Yorrik tries to grab to the cargo but loses his grip twice because his fingers are still greasy from eating french fries he found in the trash at the trainstation and thus gets sucked into the vortex. Like 50 nanoseconds after it appeared. No chance. At all.

Preston, the well connected man he is, has a personal assistent immediately telling him:„make yourself heavier so you dont fly away as well!“. Terrible advice as this is, he loses his footing, falls and in a final effort before he gets sucked into the vortex, throws a bundle of money in the rough direction of he vortex, hoping this would stop this nightmare. But as it turned out, it didnt. So he got sucked in as well.

The End.

Explanaition:

Spawned on the goods wagon with no way to clear all 4 clues and moving tot he next wagon. You need to pass an Agility (1) test, and if you fail you have to try the test again. Then, if you still fail, you are gone. Yorrik failed both Agility (1) tests in a row, as did Preston. It was quite a short affair.

With a base agiltiy of 3 for Yorrik and commited skill cards, this shouldnt have been too hard to pass, but the -4 and tentacles were harsh on him. Preston played Well Connected to up his skill by one during the test. During he second try Money Talks wasn't helpful either. The Vortex wasnt listening or wasn't very susceptible to money

Edited by Raahk