SabineKey

A wasted opportunity

4 hours ago, SabineKey said:

GAH! I just realized the wasted opportunity of not having Wave V of 2.0 have the V-Wing in it. It would have been glorious!

That said, I do think it’s better to add the Y-Wing first to fill a role the Republic lacks currently. But still....

I suppose the Y-Wing had to get in there, but boy is it hideous. I guess I'll pick one up, but I don't really want to. :P

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Sir Orrin said:

I really hope the V-Ving doubles as an imperial ship. I would totally get a few and paint them black/grey like the lego set. 

This would be sweet. Could do Imperial ARC's and even a Vader ETA-2 and it would still fit in-universe.

2 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

It ain't gonna' happen.

Gonna agree with this, but there's always home-brew.

Edited by Hippie Moosen

13 minutes ago, Octarine-08 said:

It seems like they are going in chronological order with the exception of the ARC170, which they already had the mold for.

Not entirely in that the Geonosian fighter is seen before Belbullab-22. But given the gameplay niche and style, quite reasonable perhaps.

1 hour ago, Captain Lackwit said:

It ain't gonna' happen.

Yup.... they won’t give our old factions any love until the new ones are 100% caught up. Which will be never, because Disney isn’t putting out enough choices for the sequel trilogy 

48 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Yup.... they won’t give our old factions any love until the new ones are 100% caught up. Which will be never, because Disney isn’t putting out enough choices for the sequel trilogy 

It's not that.

It's that the V-Wing has no place in the Tarkin Doctrine. At all. It'd be the only ship with Astromechs, but you'd have to add a LOT of "Rebel Only" or "Imperial Only" bits.

1 hour ago, Captain Lackwit said:

It's not that.

It's that the V-Wing has no place in the Tarkin Doctrine. At all. It'd be the only ship with Astromechs, but you'd have to add a LOT of "Rebel Only" or "Imperial Only" bits.

Later Imperial V-wings didn't have astromech droids. (maybe replace it by a system slot?)

2 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

It's not that.

If the empire can share their huge ship toys with other factions, I think it’s fair that the republic share its v-wing so that players who don’t want to buy clone wars factions can still have something to buy that they don’t already have.

1 hour ago, Odanan said:

Later Imperial V-wings didn't have astromech droids. (maybe replace it by a system slot?)

15 minutes ago, Woorloog said:

Receipts please

The legends entry on wookieepedia does say that

In the early stages of the New Order, new V-wing models were commissioned. The new models of the V-wing star fighter were repainted with a black stripe. These craft featured Imperial livery and lacked an astromech droid.“

The canon entry doesn't however, although the canon entry is virtually empty.

13 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

In the early stages of the New Order, new V-wing models were commissioned. The new models of the V-wing star fighter were repainted with a black stripe. These craft featured Imperial livery and lacked an astromech droid.“

Ah, interesting, have missed that.

I suspect canon will retain the droid slot though, rather than create weird variants.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

It ain't gonna' happen.

The literal only time it's been seen on screen was at the end of Episode 3, after the Empire had been declared.

(edit to add: Apparently you can see the nose of a couple in a hanger scene in a Venator, before Order 66. So I'm wrong)

Edited by Punning Pundit
oopsie!

8 minutes ago, Woorloog said:

Ah, interesting, have missed that.

I suspect canon will retain the droid slot though, rather than create weird variants.

Canon has a tiny repulsor droid tagging along on a specilized hookup in a T-65's astromech slot. Replacing the astroslot with sensor systems is similarly possible. It is a hole with a bunch of data ports and fuses, not too hard to design and produce a slide in retrofit.

8 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Canon has a tiny repulsor droid tagging along on a specilized hookup in a T-65's astromech slot. Replacing the astroslot with sensor systems is similarly possible. It is a hole with a bunch of data ports and fuses, not too hard to design and produce a slide in retrofit.

Old canon had repulsor droids, new canon doesn't seem to have mention of type so it might as well be a normal astromech. Regardless, retrofit.. sure, possible.

I do strongly question the idea of cross-faction V-wing though, no matter whether it has droid slot or not. Largely because the game has only 4 cross-faction ships (TIE/LN, Headhunter, Y-wing, ARC-170 [5, if you count Sheathipede and assume it probably gets added to CIS at some point]), and i strongly suspect that is so because of three of those were basically grandfathered into the game. The TIE/LN for the Rebels works just about because it is in Rebels and had distinct paintjob, but were things done from scratch today, i'd say the Y-wing would be Rebel exclusive and the Headhunter probably a Scum ship, and the ARC-170 would be Republic only.
Further, some cross-factions ships were left out, with not even cross-faction pilots, makes me think that cross-faction ships are avoided where possible. Admittedly it is possible for later upgrade packs to reintroduce some (eg Imperial Boba Fett) but i'm doubtful retroactive cross-faction pilots will happen, figure new pilots for existing factions is more likely (Vult Skerris for the Empire in the TIE Interceptor or TIE Defender, or even Vader in the TIE Defender).

And singling V-wing as a sole Republic-Empire cross faction ship is also a bit weird. For one, the Empire has similar ships already: TIE/LN and TIE/IN, and possibly others, depending what kind of stats the V-wing gets. Secondly, the Empire used everything the Republic had really, so why not make all of them cross-faction? That the V-wing appears in ROTS only after the Empire has been declared, as someone noted, isn't much of a reason, since the ship must've been around before that (it wouldn't magically appear within days the film spans). Vader used Eta-2 Actis for a long while too, would that be Republic-Empire cross-faction ship too? 

And Empire not having new stuff to buy is not a good argument either. As noted elsewhere, there's bunch of canon stuff the Empire can get: AT Hauler, Krennic's Shuttle, TIE/rb; and far more old canon options than anyone can probably bother to remember. (I admit that anything not having appeared in a while is annoying...)
And this reminds me of a far more plausible cross-faction ship, if there's to be cross-faction ships that aren't special cases like Sabine's TIE: the LAAT/le that appears in both The Clone Wars and Rebels, in hands of the Republic and Empire. It gets more screentime total for either faction alone than the V-wing (i'm assuming it is space-capable).

Note: I don't count the YT-1300 as cross-faction ship since it has three distinct (well, more or less) variants with different gameplay. The V-wing's change would be far smaller, if there'd be any.

2 hours ago, Odanan said:

Then by that logic they're JUST TIE FIGHTERS.

57 minutes ago, Punning Pundit said:

The literal only time it's been seen on screen was at the end of Episode 3, after the Empire had been declared.

You are so, so, so, So bad at checking your facts. I don't like publically humiliating people, but sometimes...

Well, here. For everyone to see, there's V-Wings in use by The Republic. Congratulations.

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

If the empire can share their huge ship toys with other factions, I think it’s fair that the republic share its v-wing so that players who don’t want to buy clone wars factions can still have something to buy that they don’t already have.

Sure, but ask yourself this. Let's say it has 2 firepower, agility, 3 hull, 1-0 shields. Or, it has 3 firepower, 3 agility, 3 hull, 1-0 Shields.

Tell me, how many ships in The Empire fit that bill already? Oh, is it most?

But guess how many in The Republic do? None. None at all. The Republic needs a fast non-force interceptor to field that can take an astromech. There are serious possibilities here that The Empire does not need or want. I don't know why you guys want another agile toy. Does The Empire have not enough, fast, agile toys? Don't give my a Ext. VS. Hyperspace argument either. In time it'll all be there.

1 hour ago, Forgottenlore said:

That's because V-Wings, like ARC-170s, V-19s, Z-95s, LAAT/is, Venators, Acclamators, and so on, were quickly phased out and decommissioned. Honestly, it's a miracle the Arquitens retained its status, but I guess it was just really good at what it did? Or the real reason: It was a cheap not-star-destroyer that the guys making Rebels could get their hands on. Similar to how the Gozanti was already a CW asset, just needed rejiggering.

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

let me take you one step further and validate you in the best way possible.  The Rebellion was able to retrofit a plug for Iden Versio's X-Wing to allow her droid to play the role of an Astromech. It may very well have been an Astromech body/host that it took control of, can't be terribly sure to be honest. But there was no "Droid" there, just a plug for her little guy.

Anybody else need some lore help?

30 minutes ago, Woorloog said:

Old canon had repulsor droids, new canon doesn't seem to have mention of type so it might as well be a normal astromech. Regardless, retrofit.. sure, possible.

I do strongly question the idea of cross-faction V-wing though, no matter whether it has droid slot or not. Largely because the game has only 4 cross-faction ships (TIE/LN, Headhunter, Y-wing, ARC-170 [5, if you count Sheathipede and assume it probably gets added to CIS at some point]), and i strongly suspect that is so because of three of those were basically grandfathered into the game. The TIE/LN for the Rebels works just about because it is in Rebels and had distinct paintjob, but were things done from scratch today, i'd say the Y-wing would be Rebel exclusive and the Headhunter probably a Scum ship, and the ARC-170 would be Republic only.
Further, some cross-factions ships were left out, with not even cross-faction pilots, makes me think that cross-faction ships are avoided where possible. Admittedly it is possible for later upgrade packs to reintroduce some (eg Imperial Boba Fett) but i'm doubtful retroactive cross-faction pilots will happen, figure new pilots for existing factions is more likely (Vult Skerris for the Empire in the TIE Interceptor or TIE Defender, or even Vader in the TIE Defender).

And singling V-wing as a sole Republic-Empire cross faction ship is also a bit weird. For one, the Empire has similar ships already: TIE/LN and TIE/IN, and possibly others, depending what kind of stats the V-wing gets. Secondly, the Empire used everything the Republic had really, so why not make all of them cross-faction? That the V-wing appears in ROTS only after the Empire has been declared, as someone noted, isn't much of a reason, since the ship must've been around before that (it wouldn't magically appear within days the film spans). Vader used Eta-2 Actis for a long while too, would that be Republic-Empire cross-faction ship too? 

And Empire not having new stuff to buy is not a good argument either. As noted elsewhere, there's bunch of canon stuff the Empire can get: AT Hauler, Krennic's Shuttle, TIE/rb; and far more old canon options than anyone can probably bother to remember. (I admit that anything not having appeared in a while is annoying...)
And this reminds me of a far more plausible cross-faction ship, if there's to be cross-faction ships that aren't special cases like Sabine's TIE: the LAAT/le that appears in both The Clone Wars and Rebels, in hands of the Republic and Empire. It gets more screentime total for either faction alone than the V-wing (i'm assuming it is space-capable).

Note: I don't count the YT-1300 as cross-faction ship since it has three distinct (well, more or less) variants with different gameplay. The V-wing's change would be far smaller, if there'd be any.

No, the Z-95, ARC, and Y-Wing have all had a place in their cross-faction status. The ARC-170 is the flimsiest one to include, but hey, it's a perfect fightercraft for Rebel Aces isn't it? A veritable symbol of The Old Republic. Works for me.

I could see another boxed set coming out that has 1 Eta-2 Actis starfighter and 2 V-wings; replacing the current Republic box set after the Torrent gets a single-ship expansion. The only real issue is that the Actis and Aetherspite, and the Torrent/V-wing, compete for the same slots; the Actis/Aetherspite are Force-using interceptors, while the Torrent/V-wing are cheap ships that are supposed to be speedy enough to hang out with their Jedi pals.

22 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

let me take you one step further and validate you in the best way possible.  The Rebellion was able to retrofit a plug for Iden Versio's X-Wing to allow her droid to play the role of an Astromech. It may very well have been an Astromech body/host that it took control of, can't be terribly sure to be honest. But there was no "Droid" there, just a plug for her little guy.

That was the droid I was referring to...

13 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

You are so, so, so, So bad at checking your facts. I don't like publically humiliating people, but sometimes...

Well, here. For everyone to see, there's V-Wings in use by The Republic. Congratulations.

No need to be a jerk because I missed them in the corner of one scene when the focus was on someone else entirely. Like: yes. Thank you for the heads up. Yes: you are correct. And yes: I am legit glad to know something I didn't know before.

But there are _definitely_ different ways to say it. For instance: you can acknowledge that it's easy to miss, but if I look off to the side in the hanger, it's there.