Deuzerre

collar of subordination: Imbalanced?

Posted (edited)

I mean, first it's not really fun to be on the receiving end.

Secondly, it just flips a card to the other side without even any disadvantage, unlike for example Harland Mindlock that just has to leave play to make the creature switch, and has to select a flank creature, not just any creature. Same for Smiling Ruth, his conditions to capture are much harsher (too harsh IMO btw).

IMO, it feels just too good to just drop it on any creature you like. It should at least stun/damage/exhaust the creature that switched sides.

I also ahve the same issue with Sneklifter, except that it has the disadvantage of needing the opponent to have an artefact... But at the same time cards that destroy artefacts are very rare, and the card is regarded Shadows! if it's not one from your houses. That's just unbeleivable IMO.

These two cards have a problem of balance.

Edited by Deuzerre

Posted (edited)

Eh. It’s certainly good but I wouldn’t say imbalanced. It only takes one creature which really isn’t that strong in comparsion to other cards that can remove several or even all of your creatures while your opponents board stays in tact. On top of this if you’re playing different houses taking control of those houses makes the card nearly useless without other cards that let them activate it. Lastly you can just kill your own creature to get it back. Lastly consider none of it gives you any aember and it’s only as powerful as what’s on the board when it’s played meaning there’s plenty of situations where it’s meh

Edited by TwitchyBait

Posted (edited)

It is extremely good in dis mirror matches, and against specific creatures with constant effects, like Hunting Witch, otherwise it might has well read destroy 1 creature. And I know this is an over simplification. Having a card that lets you destroy any creature is still an above average card, so I do think this card is extremely good, but as long as cards like Bait and Switch, Time Traveler, and Numquid the Fair exist, I have a hard time complaining about this card. This card feels like it fits well within in the upper tiers of power level. If I judge this against cards that are frustrating to play against instead of power level, I still end up with this card well outside the greatest offenders; Lash of Broken Dreams, Restringuntus, and Succubus to just name a few that can be more frustrating. 

I agree this card is more powerful than the 2 cards you mentioned, but Dis is also much better at affecting board state than both Logos and Shadows, so it only makes sense that its card is more powerful. Overlord Greking is in the same house, and can theoretically steal multiple opposing troops, and doesn't need to worry that the next set having a card that can destroy upgrades. 

I'm not against the idea of it exhausting the troop it takes, but only if the rule was added to all cards that can steal cards. That way the change can be part of the rules and not part of a the errata. I don't think this card is nearly imbalanced enough to justify an errata. 

Sneklifter is one of the few cards that makes me wish this game has deck building, as I wish I could have 1 copy of this in every deck. It is a strong counter to the Library Access and Nepenthe Seed combo. When they don't have that combo, it is still amazing for countering any of the other artifacts in the game, I don't even care if it takes an artifact that I can't use (like Mothergun). In the rare occurrence that you are playing against a deck with no artifacts, it still gives you a creature you can reap with. But again, I can't find myself willing to call it overpowered as we need strong counters to Library Access and Nepenthe Seed, but again again, if a rule was added to make whatever it stole come over exhausted, I wouldn't mind that. 

Edited by Revert

Way too much creature removal to worry about it. AND if the houses don't match, they cannot activate it unless they spend an entire turn on one cards.

Sneklifter is dramatically better, which is good since Shadows doesn't have many good cards and really need control options as well *end sarcasm*. Sneklifter is the best control card because not only does it steal it, it makes it a house to have AND it stays in play after Sneklifter leaves play. Collar of Subordination doesn't do any of those things.

Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2019 at 10:29 AM, KingOfOdonata said:

Way too much creature removal to worry about it. AND if the houses don't match, they cannot activate it unless they spend an entire turn on one cards.

Sneklifter is dramatically better, which is good since Shadows doesn't have many good cards and really need control options as well *end sarcasm*. Sneklifter is the best control card because not only does it steal it, it makes it a house to have AND it stays in play after Sneklifter leaves play. Collar of Subordination doesn't do any of those things.

About the only thing even bringing them close to even is that every deck does have creatures in it, while some decks have no artifacts at all (14k+ so far) or they have very few artifacts - ones which may not be of any use. Small comfort I know.

It would be nice if Sneklifter was like Mindlock (who's a joke) and returned the artifact when he died.

Edited by Simplegarak