AgniAvis72

Rise of the Separatists - Spoilers/ Q&A

17 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

From Wookieepedia's Canon entry on Jango:

Jango Fett was born in the years prior to the Invasion of Naboo.[1] He claimed to have been born on the planet Concord Dawn,[2] a Mandalorian world,[8] but the exact authenticity of this claim was unknown. He wore Mandalorian armor after becoming a bounty hunter and assassin for hire,[1] a fact that led officials of Mandalore to disavow any connection to Fett, claiming he was simply a bounty hunter who somehow stole an artifact from their planet's troubled past.

I think that quote makes it quite obvious that he was a Mandalorian, though?

7 minutes ago, Sharatec said:

I think that quote makes it quite obvious that he was a Mandalorian, though?

Because Jango said so? That's like Elizabeth Warren saying she's Native American. Of course, you'd think that the Kaminoans have enough of Jango's genetics to be able to give a definitive answer...

23 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

Because Jango said so? That's like Elizabeth Warren saying she's Native American. Of course, you'd think that the Kaminoans have enough of Jango's genetics to be able to give a definitive answer...

That still wouldn't mean much. If my lineage were Japanese, but me and the last 4 generations of my family grew up in Scotland, I'd probably know more about kilts and football than kimonos and sumo.

Besides, we all know the fish-heads ain't telling.

18 minutes ago, Ghostofman said:

That still wouldn't mean much. If my lineage were Japanese, but me and the last 4 generations of my family grew up in Scotland, I'd probably know more about kilts and football than kimonos and sumo.

Besides, we all know the fish-heads ain't telling.

Jango's accent didn't sound much like the Mandalorians we see in TCW to me.

30 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

Jango's accent didn't sound much like the Mandalorians we see in TCW to me.

Then Anakin's low Coruscanti and not Swedish or Tatooiney by that measure. 

The truth is unless George, Pablo, Kathleen, Dave, or someone else who's allowed to make these decisions decides to pull a J.K. Rowlings and Tweet that Jango is in fact a sentient Turkey Sandwich, we'll probably never know the truth of Jango's lineage or upbringing.

1 hour ago, HappyDaze said:

No, I just think the quote implies that the officials are trying to distance themselves from an obviously violent Mandalorian. I'm aware that it's not the only interpretation, though.

No idea who Ms Warren is, sorry.

4 hours ago, Lorne said:

The Jedi Knight spec text has the boilerplate language addressing it as a starting spec. Oops.

That's for characters made with homebrew species that have a free rank of Force Rating (not just Force Rating 1). The Force Rating kicks in when they choose the Jedi Career, bumps up the Force Rating 1 from the Career to a 2, and then they select Knight.

I'd never allow such a species, but who knows what others might do at their own tables.

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2019 at 10:08 AM, Eoen said:

Also introducing the Barrel roll talent at this stage of the game means that a revision all the old pilot trees is in order. So eventually they will need to release a rules revision to clean up some systems in this spalling line.

Seem unlikely that they'll take that approach instead of only integrating them with future pilot-type specs. However, I could easily see a GM allowing ad hoc substitutions into existing ones.

Edited by Lorne

Well since it's obviously useless trying to bring up anything actually related to the book in the EoE thread I'll post here. 🙄

I did notice however that the Squad/Squadron rules have been changed from the AoR Gamemaster's kit. Unless these have been changed elsewhere and I've missed them.

26 minutes ago, Jareth Valar said:

Well since it's obviously useless trying to bring up anything actually related to the book in the EoE thread I'll post here. 🙄

I did notice however that the Squad/Squadron rules have been changed from the AoR Gamemaster's kit. Unless these have been changed elsewhere and I've missed them.

What were the main differences you noticed? I only own ROTS, not the AoR GM Kit so I only had a cursory understanding of the previous squadron rules.

36 minutes ago, Kualan said:

What were the main differences you noticed? I only own ROTS, not the AoR GM Kit so I only had a cursory understanding of the previous squadron rules.

AoR GM Kit you could group up to 11 minions (10 in RotS) to form a Squad/Squadron. Probably a typo, since a Squadron has always been 12 total. *shrug*

GM Kit - when you redirect the hit to a minion it was to A minion (just 1). RotS the minions around you are treated as a minion group for all purposes for damage.

I haven't gone over the Formations yet, so I don't know of any differences there yet.

Hoping the author of this section could pop in and provide some insight. (hint...hint...) 😜

1 minute ago, Jareth Valar said:

AoR GM Kit you could group up to 11 minions (10 in RotS) to form a Squad/Squadron. Probably a typo, since a Squadron has always been 12 total. *shrug*

GM Kit - when you redirect the hit to a minion it was to A minion (just 1). RotS the minions around you are treated as a minion group for all purposes for damage.

I haven't gone over the Formations yet, so I don't know of any differences there yet.

Hoping the author of this section could pop in and provide some insight. (hint...hint...) 😜

might help to tag @KRKappel So he notices :)

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Jareth Valar said:

Gotcha. Didn't know he wrote that section. I know Phalanx rules are his (many thanks BTW). Thanks for the info (and the tagging. 😉)

he wrote the original Squad squadron rules in the GM Screen. If they were tweaked they are based on what he did. :)

Edited by Daeglan

Thanks for the shout outs. I wasnt personally involved in the reprinting of the squad and squadron rules, so I dont really have any insight on any tweaks, but they dont sound like bad  choices to me! I assume any changes have come out of playtesting. 

A good rule of thumb for this sort of thing is to always go with the most recently published version of a rule. Bit that said, it's your table, and you should do what is most fun for you and your players. 

On 5/13/2019 at 10:18 PM, StriderZessei said:

Anyone mind spoiling the new crystals' stats? 

Cash is low, and I had to decide between this and A&A

Thontin Crystal
Base Stats: Damage 6, Crit 2, Breach 1, Sunder, once per encounter can ignore the specific effects of an Easy critical injury, but are still deemed to have suffered a crit.
Mod Options: 3 Damage +1 Mods, 1 reduce crit by 1 (minimum of 1) Mod
Hard Points: 2; Cost/Rarity: 9000 credits/9*

Zophis Crystal
Base Stats: Damage 8, Crit 2, Breach 2, Sunder, Vicious 1; when using Sunder the object is damaged one additional step, but GM can spend 3 threat or a despair from your combat check to shut down the lightsaber until the end of your next turn (so be wary when facing those foes with multiple ranks of Adversary)
Mod Options: 2 Damage +1 Mods
Hard Points: 2; Cost/Rarity: 11,000/10*

*should note that Ilum crystals get reprinted, and are listed with a Rarity of 9 and are not restricted, so probably safe to say that these crystals should be both be Rarity 10 and restricted in post-CW campaigns.

On 5/16/2019 at 3:14 PM, Ghostofman said:

The truth is unless George, Pablo, Kathleen, Dave, or someone else who's allowed to make these decisions decides to pull a J.K. Rowlings and Tweet that Jango is in fact a sentient Turkey Sandwich, we'll probably never know the truth of Jango's lineage or upbringing.

To speak to this bit here, I have a secondhand quote from Dave Filoni (I do not own Season 2 to verify authenticity, but what this quote says is supported by this random recent article). I found this posted on this forum a while ago when I was doing my own research into whether or not the Fetts were real Mandalorians. I was going to edit it down to highlight bits that were relevant to Jango, but the commentary on Boba Fett is really interesting.

If you have Season 2 of Star Wars: The Clone Wars there is a featurette called "Creating Mandalore." In this featurette Dave Filoni discusses Jango Fett and whether or not he is Mandalorian. Here is what was said:

"Now, all the history of Mandalore that you knew prior to the Clone Wars - it does exist. It absolutely exists. Were they a mercenary people? Yes, they absolutely are. Did they fight against the Jedi? Yes, they absolutely did. Is there a big battle where there is a cataclysm between them and the Jedi? Yes. Have we pushed that idea - that the cataclysm was so great, that the surface of Mandalore was laid to waste? Absolutely, we did. Because, to George, the Mandalorians - above all, dating back to Empire Strikes Back - are super commandos. They're a race of people that were a military. They can't be so vagabond as they appeared in the EU. They can't be this group of people that are vastly different in paint job and paint scheme because - if you do that, they look too much, immediately, like a bunch of Boba Fetts. It robbed Boba Fett of his uniqueness. We needed a military. We needed an army. They have a very uniform look. They are trying to bring back the ancient Mandalorian ways of being the Super commando and regain dominion for their mythology, their stories - which is what you could call - is what the EU is. That they are a warrior race and eventually mercenaries.

So, the idea that Jango Fett is not a Mandalorian - that's something that comes directly from George. I think that - when we fist saw Jango in Attack of the Clones - that a lot of us, myself included, we assumed, "Oh, he must be a Mandalorian. There he is in Mandalorian armor." So, there's kind of this early assumption that Jango must be a Mandalorian. That was interesting to see. But, that was never stated in the film. It's never stated that he's Mandalorian. He's always just referred to as a bounty hunter.

Once you have that silver, blue, black and grey armor - of course, the first thing is: "Well, why is Boba's green? Where is that coming from?" And, from the point that we've established in the Clone Wars - to the point whenever Boba gets his armor - there's one thing that I think is important, is that; Mandalorian armor exists during the Clone Wars. Mandalorian armor that's very close to the design and use of Boba's armor. Boba has tricked his armor out. He's added a few things that our Death Watch guys don't have because he's a bounty hunter and much like a gunslinger in the old west, would shoot someone and take their hat or take their guns or, y'know, you win a victory over another warrior and you take something of theirs - Boba Fett's armor probably is made up of different pieces of found Mandalorian gear. It's a little hodge-podge of mix n' match which I think, kinda lends itself to the idea that he acquires different pieces of Mandalorian armor over time. Why does he do that? Because his dad wore it. That's the connection for him. So I imagine this Mandalorian armor really isn't being created again and again and again when you look at the time of the Empire. Boba just - whenever he finds some of it, he fixes it up, he uses it. He's probably got a bunch of it in Slave 1. Different rocket packs, we've seen that on Boba. Different wrist guards, we've seen that on Boba. So how do our Death Watch go from being these silver, pristine-looking uniform military guys - there must be something that happens in between here and where Boba's getting all this weird green and yellow and red armor. Um, and we'll just have to wait and see." - Dave Filoni

4 hours ago, Commissariat said:

To speak to this bit here, I have a secondhand quote from Dave Filoni (I do not own Season 2 to verify authenticity, but what this quote says is supported by this random recent article). I found this posted on this forum a while ago when I was doing my own research into whether or not the Fetts were real Mandalorians. I was going to edit it down to highlight bits that were relevant to Jango, but the commentary on Boba Fett is really interesting.

Ill need to go back and check sometime, but that quote does ring a bell.

1 hour ago, Ghostofman said:

Ill need to go back and check sometime, but that quote does ring a bell.

To me too, which is odd since I really never paid much attention to commentary during/about TCW (I only really watched it after it arrived on Netflix).

On 5/17/2019 at 9:17 PM, Jareth Valar said:

Hmmm... Not sure I like that. While I guess it's more logical, it's also more a headache (oh.. now I have to track the minion health instead of just removing one) but it also removes a rather good mechanical option for sending players up against vehicles. One blast from an AT-ST's main gun removed 1 minion, no biggy. Now 1-shot and the group is wiped.

6 minutes ago, Ghostofman said:

Hmmm... Not sure I like that. While I guess it's more logical, it's also more a headache (oh.. now I have to track the minion health instead of just removing one) but it also removes a rather good mechanical option for sending players up against vehicles. One blast from an AT-ST's main gun removed 1 minion, no biggy. Now 1-shot and the group is wiped.

I like it because it follows the established pattern for how to damage minion groups. It also means that there is a world of difference between wiping out a bodyguard of thugs compared to half-dozen B2 droids.