Sign in to follow this  
Muelmuel

Ground Vehicles in Armada

Posted (edited)

Ok it's space, so where could we find ground Vehicles? On the ships ofc! Thought of a possible mechanic that could feature ground Vehicles, if in upgrades only:

Magnetic-clamp ATATs:
modification
Large ship only
When you deploy, place one ATAT token on one of your hull zones.
At the start of each command phase, you may exhaust this card to discard the ATAT token. During the refresh phase add the ATAT token to any of your hull zones.
An ATAT token adds 1 blue die to the battery armament of that hull zone it is on. When that hull zone suffers a faceup damage card, remove the ATAT token as well and discard this card.
Turbolaser slot

This could vary for different types of vehicles to each faction(costs will also vary):

Rabble: T-47 short range spacespeeders - counter 2

Republic: Magnetic-clamp SPHA-T/ATTEs -1 red die

Separatists: Magnetic-clamp OG-9 Homing Spider Droids -reroll 1 anti-ship die and 1 anti-squad die when attacking with that hull zone

Could probably switch up the upgrade slot(s) too if it seems too powerful as a turbolaser

Edited by Muelmuel

The "I know a little bit about space" part of my brain said "space battles are so vast that there's no way ground weaponry would work for shooting at ships w/out specifically being designed to do so", then the rest of my brain reminded me that star wars doesn't care about science. 

Why not, but it seems silly, just add an extra gun to that side via one of the random upgrades. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

The "I know a little bit about space" part of my brain said "space battles are so vast that there's no way ground weaponry would work for shooting at ships w/out specifically being designed to do so", then the rest of my brain reminded me that star wars doesn't care about science. 

Why not, but it seems silly, just add an extra gun to that side via one of the random upgrades. 

Welll....ok, lets say Blaster Rifles dont really have recoil, like they SHOULDNT in theroy anyway, cause its just energy displacement. Then technically, you should have very minimal "thrust" being created even from a lot of turbolasers firing.

Think RL Ion Engines

Edited by Zeoinx

6 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

sssh... theres a clonewars  eposide where Anakin sets a load of the clone walkers on an astoriod to ambush the CIS fleet...

If we ignore the obvious range issue, tanks can in theory cause damage to warships. Though it depends on the era & ship. WWII battleships were so heavily armored I can't see a WWII tank penetrate it, but modern main battle tanks can pierce the armor of pretty much all modern warships. There is an example from WWII where the germans fought US ships part of a naval landing taskforce with tanks at Salerno.

6 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

Well, considering capability as seen in lore, ATAT guns were shown to have quite substantial range and firepower, so they get a medium die. The SPHA-Ts each had a cannon that's at least as big as if not bigger than a turbolaser, and several were able to take down a techno union (capital size?)ship, so red die seems possible.

Well strapping yet another turbolaser would be the more straightforward upgrade, but what better way to add in ground vehicles into Armada, and for flavour and different mechanics! Having a mobile additional die that takes one turn to relocate unlike immobile guns also feature the mobility aspect that vehicles would have here :D

I would find an AT-TE boarding troopers style of card pretty funny. It would need to be expensive but would also be a really powerful card. 

Im also okay with an upgrade that lets you deploy an AT-TE unit to an asteroid as long as two conditions are met.

1) The first is that the asteroid has to be within a certain range of the ship carrying them after that ship deploys.

2)The second is that the asteroids then need to be targetable by ships. Something like  they destroy the AT-TE unit on the asteroid if the ship attacks and rolls a crit. 

4 hours ago, Zeoinx said:

Welll....ok, lets say Blaster Rifles dont really have recoil, like they SHOULDNT in theroy anyway, cause its just energy displacement. Then technically, you should have very minimal "thrust" being created even from a lot of turbolasers firing.

Think RL Ion Engines

Energy and mass are equivalent. Displacement always involves a velocity. So energy displacement carries momentum. That is why RL Ion Engines actually have value in producing propulsion.

And FYI, radiation most certainly has momentum. Conservation of momentum is what accounts for recoil.

8 hours ago, Zeoinx said:

Think RL Ion Engines

Star Wars blasters are not laser guns shooting light.  They are shooting bolts of energized gas.  Basically plasma.  So it's more of a solid mass of plasma being fired like a projectile...which would create recoil.  Even turbolasers aren't lasers.  They use lasers to energize the gas, but they are firing plasma.

On 4/17/2019 at 10:28 PM, Muelmuel said:

Ok it's space, so where could we find ground Vehicles? On the ships ofc! Thought of a possible mechanic that could feature ground Vehicles, if in upgrades only:

Magnetic-clamp ATATs:
modification
Large ship only
When you deploy, place one ATAT token on one of your hull zones.
At the start of each command phase, you may exhaust this card to discard the ATAT token. During the refresh phase add the ATAT token to any of your hull zones.
An ATAT token adds 1 blue die to the battery armament of that hull zone it is on. When that hull zone suffers a faceup damage card, remove the ATAT token as well and discard this card.
Turbolaser slot

This could vary for different types of vehicles to each faction(costs will also vary):

Rabble: T-47 short range spacespeeders - counter 2

Republic: Magnetic-clamp SPHA-T/ATTEs -1 red die

Separatists: Magnetic-clamp OG-9 Homing Spider Droids -reroll 1 anti-ship die and 1 anti-squad die when attacking with that hull zone

Could probably switch up the upgrade slot(s) too if it seems too powerful as a turbolaser

I think when you relocate it it should have to be an adjacent hull zone

On 4/18/2019 at 12:48 PM, Lord Tareq said:

WWII battleships were so heavily armored I can't see a WWII tank penetrate it,

that was quite beside the point, and caused the Toulon Scuttle in'42.

because although WWII MBT ammo could not get through the armor of even the lightest Cruiser, all battleship primary, secondary and even tertiary weapons have a minimal range of several Km, or can not traverse or depress enough to target something that lies adjacent to it. The only thing that can fire on it are light AA guns, which aren't even slightly protected, so you only need a regiment of infantry to capture a first class battleship.

Modern navies have foregone the effective use of guns for OTH armament (missiles, aircrafts, drones) and no decent amount of armor can prevent modern ammo from breaching and achieving inside detonation or even better the starting of several fires, so why bother armoring?

In SW, very close fighting is best if you have only light ships and are attacking large ones, you can easily stay out of the firing arc of your enemy heavies, and inflict him "the death of a thousand cuts", which can not really be simulated in Armada. (decision made for simplicity sake I'm sure)

Adding ground vehicle weapons on an Armada ship is only adding more AA guns, (QLT is doing just that I think?)

On 4/18/2019 at 4:08 AM, Muelmuel said:

Well, considering capability as seen in lore, ATAT guns were shown to have quite substantial range and firepower, so they get a medium die. The SPHA-Ts each had a cannon that's at least as big as if not bigger than a turbolaser, and several were able to take down a techno union (capital size?)ship, so red die seems possible.

Well strapping yet another turbolaser would be the more straightforward upgrade, but what better way to add in ground vehicles into Armada, and for flavour and different mechanics! Having a mobile additional die that takes one turn to relocate unlike immobile guns also feature the mobility aspect that vehicles would have here :D

No it was a one-shot. The SPHA should roll around 15 blue dice.