GreenDragoon

[Blog] X-Wing Analytica - A short tip on Swarm formations

Posted (edited)

We all know there are two hobbies in X-wing. One is playing, the other is talking about it. I have two more, and they are to look at the massive data troves, and to write battle reports. So far I've done that in individual threads, but I got annoyed by having to look them up myself.

So I present to you X-Wing Analytica, a new blog where I take a look at 1) the meta and 2) where I will write and store my battle reports from now on.
One out of interest for the data, and the other because I've found that battle reports help me rethink my games. I do that mainly for myself, to be frank. But the X-wing community shares so much, and maybe it is interesting or even useful for some of you. The third reason use is my own link collection. That, too, is something I like to have independent of platforms or devices. Finally, I will also write some other articles from time to time. One on fundamentals is already up. Others in the future will include random topics like my take on list tiers, the occasional take on BoomOwl's tactic central list, or other ramblings.

I hope you'll enjoy it!

Edited by GreenDragoon

8 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

In here or per direct message.

I'll have a look. I know I've seen it not doing well, but that is likely  the reason that you haven't seen it.

it won 2 HSTs but also seems to have drifted to the bottom tables a lot, which is why I'm asking.

2 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

I liked this post and the observations about NPE and can immediately apply some of that logic to see where some people are coming from in the recent discussion about some of the more powerful lists.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Micanthropyre said:

@GreenDragoon Where do I ask you about how Anakin+anotherjedi+2xV19s are doing?

I have that squad just seven times, and only one of them made cut. However, that is because Jaren Foss dropped, otherwise it would be 2/7 and that's 28% and above the threshold.

The 7 lists went: 6-0, 5-1, 2-4, 1-5, 2-3, 3-3, and 2-4. They were 5x with ahsoka, 2x with luminara (the 2-3 and the 3-3). Which one is better (edit: for people other than Morgan or Fosses)? No clue.
That still has me doubting it. It looks at least like the dynamic range is very large - most people do bad with it, but some can do very well.

Pinging @arctic_rogue as you had asked about that list.

Edited by GreenDragoon

I have played against that Jedi list 3 times each with a different player.  Twice I crushed it and once I was beaten 200~120ish Anakin was left.

I believe that list needs a good player to be flown well, in the right hands it's very difficult to beat if Anakin moves after you, if the player is not as skilful or if you move last with something that can reposition well, you have a good chance to beat it.

Posted (edited)

Even as someone who believes dice are too fickle to make traveling to events worthwhile, it's good to see what the wider world is up to

Keep up the good stuff!

And just to throw my two cents, the gap between competitively viable and not is NOTHING like the abyssal vacuum of 1st Ed xwing. I can guarantee vultures will ruin your day locally, it's just they pop like soap bubbles so over a long, mov driven tournament...

Edited by ficklegreendice

Just saw that on the Gold Squadron Podcast Stream during the Atlanta System Open. A player with a TIE swarm of 6 TIEs. He had the wrong formation as he was moving with a 3×2 but had to turn by 90°. He did something with banks, and it arguably cost him the game due to a bad opening engagement. But how do you change formation?

https://greendragoon.home.blog/2019/05/25/fundamentals-swarms-and-how-to-change-formation/

Edited by GreenDragoon

10 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Just saw that on the Gold Squadron Podcast Stream during the Atlanta System Open. A player with a TIE swarm of 6 TIEs. He had the wrong formation as he was moving with a 3×2 but had to turn by 90°. He did something with banks, and it arguably cost him the game due to a bad opening engagement. But how do you change formation?

https://greendragoon.home.blog/2019/05/25/fundamentals-swarms-and-how-to-change-formation/

thanks! i love this kind of post