I never got to play with Palpatine in 1.0 (since, you know, the guy was only available in a huge ship). Now, Palps doesn't work like he used to... but i still want to try him out.

Currently thinking something like this:

Omicron Group Pilot (43)    
    Emperor Palpatine (11)    

Ship total: 54  Half Points: 27  Threshold: 5    

Maarek Stele (46)    
    Marksmanship (1)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    
    Proton Rockets (7)    

Ship total: 56  Half Points: 28  Threshold: 3    

Soontir Fel (52)    
    Predator (2)    

Ship total: 54  Half Points: 27  Threshold: 2    

"Scourge" Skutu (32)    
    Predator (2)    

Ship total: 34  Half Points: 17  Threshold: 2    

Total: 198    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Thoughts?

I wonder if it might be smart to trade Skutu for a blocker TIE and slap extra upgrades for Soontir and Maarek (eg ABs for both)?

Didn't use Vader or Grand Inquisitor because they're expensive, plus i'm skeptical if either one would benefit much from Palps supporting them. Obviously they might be able to save a Force occasionally, which is useful, but is it worth having Palps in the list?

I do have this "Force Aces" idea as well, but it feels somehow lacking and flawed.

34 minutes ago, Woorloog said:

Didn't use Vader or Grand Inquisitor because they're expensive, plus i'm skeptical if either one would benefit much from Palps supporting them. Obviously they might be able to save a Force occasionally, which is useful, but is it worth having Palps in the list?

Yes, Emp Palp compliments Force users nicely.

You find that you'll burn through your Force tokens not only for you pilot's ability, but on offense and defense, especially defense. Being able to stack up tokens to convert Focus to Evade when taking multiple shots makes your Force users much more tanky. Being able to effectively recover two Force tokens per round instead of one is powerful as well. 

My only strong opinion regarding Palp aces is that palp should be on a generic reaper over a generic lambda. If you're beefing up the carrier with pilots or upgrades, then and only then does the lambda feel worth it to me.

As for the aces, I like more, cheaper ones. Duchess with Predator, Soontir with Predator, Whisper with Juke, Scourge with Predator, etc etc

Palps on Lambda is a stylistic choice for me. I strongly prefer thematic lists or card combinations, even to a fault (hence stuff like Maarek Stele with Prockets, was awesome in Star Wars: TIE Fighter).

Can't see Palps riding the TIE Reaper unless absolutely necessary, the TIE Reaper is basically a military dropship, not a more luxurious shuttle fit for an Emperor.

I did forget to consider Whisper... but i've never been a fan of the TIE Phantom, so whatever.

I like the Force Aces. Hate Vader will not gain immensely from Palp, since he'll restock his large force pool himself, when getting in the mix. If he isn't triggering Hate, he'll not run on fumes quite so much either.

The Grand Inquisitor on the other hand, will absolutely love that support, running low on Force is a bit of an issue for him. Coords from the shuttle will be just marvellous for him too.

The list in the OP may have more flexibility though.

I really love this list

Actually i'm a really big fan of lambda and maarek 

Maarek with proton rockets is goooood.

With aftermurners it should work better but it's not a "must have"

Usually you always find the way to use them and if not is a good deterren for lists that wants only joust running in front of you.

Paired with a coordinating lambda to double mod is very intimidating!

Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2019 at 12:43 PM, Woorloog said:

I agree with @kris40k. Think of Palp as being able to refresh 2 Force Charges and increasing the cap by one for one of your pilots, and the best part is you don't have to decide which one until you need it!

I find I'm constantly running low on charges for force users so I like at least coordinate to boost action economy, and Palpatine's floating charge is just as useful.

My problem with using Palp to support non-Force pilots is that there will be turns where I wish I could use that charge in multiple places. Maybe Soontir used double repo and just missed the bullseye, Maarek had to choose between focus and TL, and both of them might be taking return fire if they can't kill their targets...

Edited by nitrobenz
Proofread