Ryfterek

[Wave IV] HD spreads for N1, Resistance Transport & Hyena

Looks like Intuitive Reflexes (I'm guessing it will be called that) is going to be a pricey pick, but could be incredibly useful. I wonder if the card covers any action, or just boosts/barrel rolls like Supernatural. But for a few words more!

I'm guessing that 'Foresight' is a Force-enhanced version of Snap Shot, limited by the bullseye requirement, but with more range options and possibly being modifiable?

10 minutes ago, AceDogbert said:

Looks like Intuitive Reflexes (I'm guessing it will be called that) is going to be a pricey pick, but could be incredibly useful. I wonder if the card covers any action, or just boosts/barrel rolls like Supernatural. But for a few words more!

It looks like it might be similar to Advanced Sensors and prevent you from performing any other actions during your activation. There is also a "take a strain if the action isn't on your action bar" penalty so it must present a list of actions you can take (presumably boost and/or barrel roll?) or else it would create all sorts of problems.

I'm curious to see if either Foresight or Intuitive Reflexes (or both) turn out to be Light Side powers

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Xeletor said:

so snapshot is only at range 2, not range 1? It does not say 1-2, just 2. Why bother with the missile symbol then?

Can some cards have their range modified?

Skilled Bombardier lets you drop either 1 space more or less. Is there an equivalent that could modify this?

Edited by Aetherer
Clarification

1 minute ago, Aetherer said:

Agile Bomber (?) lets you drop either 1 space more or less. Is there an equivalent that could modify this?

True that might be. Rhymer only can for primary I think, but later something might come along. So it is really only at range 2, funny.

1 minute ago, Aetherer said:

Agile Bomber (?) lets you drop either 1 space more or less. Is there an equivalent that could modify this?

Not at the moment.

Just now, Xeletor said:

True that might be. Rhymer only can for primary I think, but later something might come along. So it is really only at range 2, funny.

Rhymer is specifically missile and torpedo special weapons, not primary attacks.

5 minutes ago, Xeletor said:

so snapshot is only at range 2, not range 1? It does not say 1-2, just 2. Why bother with the missile symbol then?

I guess that is there to prevent range bonuses *ever* being applied to it, in the off chance that a method for doing so ever comes about.

16 minutes ago, Transmogrifier said:

It looks like it might be similar to Advanced Sensors and prevent you from performing any other actions during your activation. There is also a "take a strain if the action isn't on your action bar" penalty so it must present a list of actions you can take (presumably boost and/or barrel roll?) or else it would create all sorts of problems.

I'm curious to see if either Foresight or Intuitive Reflexes (or both) turn out to be Light Side powers

I'm leaning towards Reflexes being a boost/barrel roll action as well, as it would make little sense for the Force to allow me to perform a Jam! The penalty being weaker (strain rather than damage) fits, given the lock-out of further actions in the activation.

I doubt they'll make these light-side only. Having visions of the future or having enhanced reflexes aren't inherently blocked by being Dark Side.

On 4/17/2019 at 8:29 AM, aswitcher said:

Expected max number of Naboo Starfighter in a list...5? (Thinking Resistance A-Wings for comparison)

I'd guess 32-33 points for 6 per list.  But if not 6, just barely off from 6 (34-35 points).

In capabilities, I kinda think it compares more to a Rebel A-Wing than Resistance.

• 2/2/3/2 with an evade is pretty similar in toughness to 2/3/2/2 against mass fire.  Against a single attack per round, N-1 is a bit more consistent. 
  • Both RZ-1 and N-1 have a single, specific extra each turn, if they're willing to limit their dial to a pretty narrow subset of moves.  Blues on all speed 2 and 3/4/5 straight for an A-Wing, all speed 3 and 4/5 straight for an N-1, but Full Throttle is a little more flexible.
    • Both ship abilities don't work well with red move.
  • Firepower is pretty similar.  I don't think generic N-1 will have Talent slots, and so won't be able to take Juke.
  • Torpedoes are a bit of a wildcard, but having access to a Torp slot doesn't make the Scyk super powerful, so I don't see it factoring much into the cost of the N-1.  Similar to how I think they won't have Talent slots, I guess they won't have Mod slots, so I don't think there will be Synced Console abuse.

At the generic level, while I think they're a hair better than an RZ-1 A-Wing, I don't think it's so much better as to justify a lower ship count bracket.

But I'm kind of expecting named pilots to be noticeably more expensive than generics.  Ric Olie seems like a [phantom] menace with Juke/Proton Torpedo.

1 hour ago, Aetherer said:

Skilled Bombardier lets you drop either 1 space more or less. Is there an equivalent that could modify this?

The grand inquisitor can use its pilot ability to have the range 1 bonus at range 2-3. But he cannot take snapshot

7 minutes ago, Aderen said:

The grand inquisitor can use its pilot ability to have the range 1 bonus at range 2-3. But he cannot take snapshot

Plus, since it has the ordnance icon, it's questionable whether it would do anything for snap shot even if he could.

2 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Plus, since it has the ordnance icon, it's questionable whether it would do anything for snap shot even if he could.

Ordinance Icon on card = Card says "cannot". Per the Golden Rules that is an absolute restriction that cannot be overridden..

The i5 Geonosian appears to allow a friendly with Calculate on their action bar and a TL on somebody to take a red Calc action. i4 gets 2 offensive rerolls vs tractored opponents. i2... Repairs a damage on a friendly at the cost of tractoring them? Maybe?

Anakin and Oddball have the same abilities as their previous versions. i4 gets a primary weapon reroll for each (stress?) token on him. i3 gets to change a blank to a hit if his turret is in the right place (I'd guess front arc?). The presumed R2-D2 looks like he might have Guri's ability, but gaining a calculate? Pretty similar I think. The other i2 gives friendlies a situational extra defense die, if they're too close to an enemy, I think.

Ahsoka gunner--extremely contrived, as you can only make out the last word on each line--Seems to be able to spend her force charge and choose a friendly in her arc or within a certain range, and I think allow them to take an action of some sort. Quite plausibly just... her pilot ability pasted onto a gunner with a minor tweak on the timing/positioning maybe?

Posted (edited)

"Scorch" might be able to make nice use of it. 3 dice - even unmodified - at someone who's not had a chance to muster up any tokens yet - is a lot more threatening than 2.

Plus, if the opponent is lower  initiative, he can use his pilot ability to add an extra die, then fly off, clear the stress and use his pilot ability again when he engages. 6 attack dice in one turn out of a 'tie fighter' is no small beer. 

Technically "Scourge" could do the same thing but that requires your opponent to obligingly park in your bullseye arc at range 2, which I feel is over-optimistic.

Double 16?cb=20180729023408 A-wings with Snap Shot and Juke might be as annoying as they used to be, since nothing says you can't modify the other player's dice.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

On 4/17/2019 at 4:24 AM, Captain Lackwit said:

'Cause **** near ain't nothin' coming out for The Resistance... What, we've got five ships once the transport comes out?

Six, but who's counting?  🙄 

So, to make your point in order to whine about Republic having more ships than Resistance requires (1) treating the Delta and Delta 7B Config as two different ships while also ignoring that (2) the Resistance Shuttle is literally two ships when you take into account the escape pod, which clearly has its own pilot cards (stat line) and dial based on the spread. And if the Escape Craft from the Lando Falcon has taught us anything, it may well be a meta-force as a ship on its own.

Otherwise, fair and balanced griping!

1 hour ago, Ryfterek said:

Is "Odd Ball" the only Clone pilot in existence experienced enough to deserve INI5 ranking? 

At the same time, him being a master of arts of piloting any GAR starfighter?

One could certainly have made a case for Clone Pilots to have been universally Initiative 4+, even generics.

Boba Fett is an I5, and he didn't have all the enhancements that the clones received.  Then, couple it with the fact that the clone pilots were provided with rigorous training and tactics with no distractions in life and that they each probably logged more hours (especially combat hours) in the cockpits than any other living beings in the galaxy, and you'd have to wonder how smooth-talking card players, grunt soldiers, gun-slingers, politicians, and backwater bush pilots so very often put the clone pilots to shame.

I do wish the Clone Pilots would have had a more thematic identity in the game, as right now there's nothing there and Dedicated is probably the worst of the "faction identity" EPTs (though Treacherous is also crazy hard to use... clearly the more recent identify stuff is a bit iffy).  Honestly, flipping the effects of Dedicated and Heroic would have made a lot of sense.  If Dedicated (training) meant that clones could reroll whiffs, this would feel thematic and could justify why they are paying so darn much for EPT access in the first place.  Meanwhile, Heroic that made it more likely to protect your friends in danger seems fitting, too.  And without Heroic-Rerolls, maybe Resistance A-Wings wouldn't be the nightmare they've been thus far.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Ken-Obi said:

Anyone see a Republic R2-D2 astromech upgrade anywhere in there?

Nope. Might be in one of the face down stacks though.

Edited by Hiemfire

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, eagletsi111 said:

No because it’s an action.  And you Cannot perform the same action in the same round

The relevant fragment of visible text on the card reads "...spend 1 [force] to barrel roll..."

Some of us think it is unlikely to read "....spend 1 [force] to barrel roll as an action."

If it was an action, it would almost certainly read "...spend 1 [force] to perform a barrel roll action..." - which it does not.

It is specifically stating "barrel roll" rather than using the barrel roll icon that the action would have. This strongly suggests to me that it is not an action.

Edited by Rossetti1828

5 hours ago, NakedDex said:

The latter could mean he could not only barrel roll twice, but that it potentially wouldn't be affected by stress.

Spinning really might be a neat trick