Sign in to follow this  
Hida Jitenno

Hatsu Suru no Oni

Similar to the name-change origin of the Asahina family, it appears the Oni hunted by Hiruma, Kaiu, and Kuni got the pseudonym treatment as well.

In the first chapter of Shadowlands, p. 35, it's said that the Hiruma family came about thanks to Hiruma and his followers ability in "preventing, detecting, and defeating attacks from the Shadowlands."

Well, in the original lore, it's because Hiruma, Kaiu, and Kuni were the three that said they were worthy to be Hida-no-Kami's followers, and he then tasked them with killing Hatsu Suru no Oni to prove it.

Forward to p. 53 of Shadowlands. Hiruma, along with Kaiu and Kuni, went a-huntin' as before, but... for Hajimeno Tatakai no Oni.

So, change for change's sake?

I mean, different words mean different things. My Japanese isn't really that good, but running through google translate, I get the impression that "Hatsu Suru no Oni" is like "Oni of first made", but "Hajimeno Tatakai no Oni" is more like "Oni of first fight" so it may be an intent to communicate slightly different references, or perhaps the original name doesn't work well as a translation in that context, or whatever. I doubt it's "change for change's sake", most changes have specific meanings (like say, making it Utaku instead of Otaku to start). I've heard some people even complain they didn't fix Toturi's name, since his syllables don't really exist in Japanese.