T-65 X-wing - •Luke Skywalker - 110
    •Luke Skywalker - Red Five (62)
        Proton Torpedoes (12)
        •R2-D2 (6)
        Stealth Device (6)
        Supernatural Reflexes (24)
        Servomotor S-foils (Open) (0)

Total: 174/200

Tried this yesterday and it was brutal in a timed game, especially with gas clouds. Kill 65 points and then Luke just felt almost un-killable. With SNR there was never a round where I couldn't either dodge arcs or get behind a cloud/other obstruction. 

What are everyone's thoughts on this? It felt pretty dirty playing it, but this hit and run wincon seems very common right now, in our group we have things like Kylo/Tavson and now Han/Ace cropping up. 

In terms of list building I'm wondering if Spare Parts would serve Luke better than Stealth? Gives either an extra R2 regen charge, or disrupt a pursuer/save him from torps 1/game. Also gives a slightly bigger bid although I can't see that being significant as it's already massive.

Is your playgroup mostly casual? Because I would think this list would fold hard to most meta lists these days (no offense intended). 

I think the X-Wing is a bad chassis for SuperFlex, but if you want to keep it I would drop Wedge for Lando in the Falcon with Nien and Leia. Stress free k-turns and talon rolls for Luke are going to be clutch, and Lando's super-coordinate means he can have double modded shots every turn, or give Luke double repositioning and a mod. It only leaves you with a 3 point bid, but you could always drop Stealth Device (green dice aren't what they used to be) for a 9 point bid, or drop it down to Spare Parts Canister and drop R2D2 down to a generic R2 astromech for a 5 point bid. 

Posted (edited)

Luke Wedge is very powerful archetype but requires lot of skill and patience. Ken - Polish National Champ - is flying it at various online tournaments with great success, but it is so exhausting that IRL he switched to something else (5A).

Loadout is different tho (afterburners on both, regeneration on both).

List is able to win major tournament if flown properly and with a bit of luck ;)

Edited by Oldpara

I feel like those are not fun games.  Yes, 2 protons can do a lot of damage and probably do 65 points of damage.  But 10-15 minutes of play followed by an hour of you running just seems lame.

If you're using it to arc dodge while engaging, great.  If you spend most of the match just running away because you took a point lead, than it's not so much as dirty as it is boring.

1 hour ago, Biggsy_boy said:

I feel like those are not fun games.  Yes, 2 protons can do a lot of damage and probably do 65 points of damage.  But 10-15 minutes of play followed by an hour of you running just seems lame.

If you're using it to arc dodge while engaging, great.  If you spend most of the match just running away because you took a point lead, than it's not so much as dirty as it is boring.

And exhausting. But I agree, it didn't feel very 'X-Wing', although it was high effective with gas clouds.

This kind of game plan keeps cropping up, the time limit on games can be a very powerful tool. 

Wedge/Luke as a concept has legs. On Vassal, where you'll see games played to a certain number of rounds and there are no such things as nudged ships or cocked dice, it's doing quite well in the hands of a skilled player.

On the tabletop, it's a vastly different story. You need to be very careful how you play the list, and you also need to be aggressive while not being reckless; X-Wings simply are not fast enough to cut and run from a pursuer, even Luke with SNR is going to get pinned down eventually. 

Also, 174pts might ensure Luke and Wedge go last, but you're going to wish you'd spent those 26pts on something.

Note: I took a 190pt Luke/Wedge to a HS trial and went 2-4, so it can win games, but one mistake and it's game over.