EVIL INC

New Epic

18 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

Real curious about the new plastic bases.  How do they accomodate Huge ships where the stands are different distances from one another?

Well, all of them are equidistant at this point, regardless of model, so a non-issue.

When they release the Nebulon-B (please, Please, PLEASE) they may have to make up a new stand.

I'm most curious about the new Huge movement templates.  Did they mitigate fish-tailing, or did they not care?

17 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

Real curious about the new plastic bases.  How do they accomodate Huge ships where the stands are different distances from one another?

The huge ship pegs are all the same distance apart aren't they? At least theoretically.

19 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

There are two bases in the conversion kit; Presumably one is small for Gozantis, C-rocs, and GR-75s, and the other is longer for Radiers and CR-90s

5 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

The huge ship pegs are all the same distance apart aren't they? At least theoretically.

Really? It's been too long since they have seen the light of day 😭 but I thought we had two different size cardboard inserts...

7 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

I would not hold my breath.  The Epic announcements made at Celebration sounded very, very early on in the process.  Not sure we will see product this year so I'm not expecting news articles for a few months at least.

Pretty sure at Adepticon they also mentioned they had just finished up work on Epic too, so while I hope we get details sooner than later we might only really get news at/after Gencon. 

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Pretty sure at Adepticon they also mentioned they had just finished up work on Epic too, so while I hope we get details sooner than later we might only really get news at/after Gencon

I think they said it had finished development, so I'm assuming that means they know how the huge ships operate in 2nd ed, but haven't finalized how they're being packaged, produced, etc. Around Gencon for actual news sounds like a pretty safe bet to me too.

Edited by Hippie Moosen

1 hour ago, gamblertuba said:

Because the stands are always the same, and there’s only been two sizes of huge ships (the cardboard bases came in small epic and large epic). Two sizes of one-piece base covers all ship options. Trouble is if you want to fly more at once (then buy multiple kits?)

43 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Pretty sure at Adepticon they also mentioned they had just finished up work on Epic too, so while I hope we get details sooner than later we might only really get news at/after Gencon. 

Honestly, I’ll just be happy if we have them by Christmas. I don’t expect them before then since wave 5 will be the gencon/September release 

15 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Honestly, I’ll just be happy if we have them by Christmas. I don’t expect them before then since wave 5 will be the gencon/September release 

Oh I don't expect a August/September release, just that we'll likely get news about them come Gencon. That or maybe FFG has something bigger to announce, since they could have a focus on Armada's Clone Wars stuff they are doing, or might want a focus on Legion's Clone Wars stuff or they may just have a new IP they want to announce and focus on like they did Keyforge.

3 minutes ago, period3 said:

I will never have more than two players, myself included.  Does epic not support two players anymore?

I don't think we have anything official on that. It's probably safe to assume Epic will be primarily 2-players like it has been though. Was there some news about it having rules for 4 person games or something that I missed? 

So a question for those who have more experience in other games (FFG or not): how to you quantify "victory" in a 3-8 player epic game?  Points destroyed?  Objective based?  Would there be a limited number of rounds?  Surely it can't be the last one standing as no one would engage under these circumstances.  Maybe it borrows concepts from Armada?

Any ideas?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, period3 said:

Somebody posted notes at the beginning of the thread saying it was 3-8 players.  But he called that 'Epic Battles'.  Is there both an 'Epic' and 'Epic Battles' mode maybe?

That 3-8 player thing sounds kinda neat, but I would be a little sad to see the 1v1 game not get official rules. I know it can take a really long time to finish a full sized Epic game, but it's so fun to assemble and command your own small fleet. Here's hoping there's 1v1 objective based play for Epic 2nd ed.

Edited by Hippie Moosen

21 minutes ago, Hippie Moosen said:

I don't think we have anything official on that. It's probably safe to assume Epic will be primarily 2-players like it has been though. Was there some news about it having rules for 4 person games or something that I missed? 

20 minutes ago, period3 said:

Somebody posted notes at the beginning of the thread saying it was 3-8 players.  But he called that 'Epic Battles'.  Is there both an 'Epic' and 'Epic Battles' mode maybe?

Epic = 3 to 8 players doing missions or scenarios that might include Huge ships. 

Huge Ships = is what most people used to call Epic. Its fights with the big ships.

14 minutes ago, dotswarlock said:

So a question for those who have more experience in other games (FFG or not): how to you quantify "victory" in a 3-8 player epic game?  Points destroyed?  Objective based?  Would there be a limited number of rounds?  Surely it can't be the last one standing as no one would engage under these circumstances.  Maybe it borrows concepts from Armada?

Any ideas?

It's easy to do points.   There are a lot of ways to do it.  For one, you can even have 2 vs 1 and make it like a normal game.

Playing to last team standing can get dull and really leaves out a whole bunch of styles.  Just a few can be:

- automatic victory conditions if something specific is destroyed or flees.

- Points given for certain victory conditions.  This can be the only points given, or supplement points gained for destroying enemy ships.

- having one side last or protect an objective for x turns can give you victory. 

Overall, there are a lot of really cool things you can do with the game as soon as you step away from death matches.  Ships not normally considered "viable" in tournament death mode become very powerful.   It really changes a lot about the game and makes it quite fun if you are willing to try it.  

12 minutes ago, Hippie Moosen said:

That 3-8 player thing sounds kinda neat, but I would be a little sad to see the 1v1 game not get official rules. I know it can take a really long time to finish a full sized Epic game, but it's so fun to assemble and command your own small fleet. Here's hoping there's 1v1 objective based play for Epic 2nd ed.

The Huge Ship Conversion kits will have rules for Huge Ships.  There will be rules to play games in the way that you used to call "Epic".   Those games will just be regular non-tournament games of whatever points you want to set.

Epic is now considered stuff from these new "battle packs" they will sell.  They will have rules for scenarios, missions, and possibly campaigns. 

50 minutes ago, dotswarlock said:

Any ideas?

I've had a couple:

As @heychadwick points out, there is soooooo much more to do at higher point totals and with having a "mission end point" rather than an MOV comparison.

35 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Epic = 3 to 8 players doing missions or scenarios that might include Huge ships. 

Huge Ships = is what most people used to call Epic. Its fights with the big ships.

Seriously, we are going to need a better title for old-time Epic than "Huge Ships."

Like:

Baby Epic

Epic Lite

Big Base One

Clash of the Titans

I'm a Space Commander!

Retro-Epic

or

The Endust Classic.

Dig 'em out, and dust 'em off, boys!!!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Yeah, I'd buy it if I were you.  You'll be converting it no matter what, it is unlikely to be a repaint, and who knows when it will be a reprint.

Also, since it is a "small" Huge, 2 in a list could be a thing (it was in 1.0). 

Well, it sounds like there is 1 of each ship board in the conversion kit, including a few boards for the factions that didn't get huge ships, so I'll probably grab the 1 Gozanti-class now to go with the other ships that I have singles of to convert. 

Edited by kris40k

Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2019 at 7:15 AM, heychadwick said:

The conversion kit will provide Second Edition punch and cards for all 5 First Edition Huge Ships (CR90, Raider, C-ROC, GR-75, Gozanti) in their original factions and 1 additional either prequel or sequel faction.

Should be fun to see which factions get which ships. I only have a GR-75 and a C-ROC so I'm hoping that the C-ROC will wind up in a faction I play in 2nd ed. GR-75 and CR90 will both probably go into the Resistance since they use very similar ships to the Rebels already. I could see the C-ROC going into the Separatists, since it feels like a merchant vessel geared up for a fight. The Gozanti might go the Republic since we see it in some prequel era stuff on Coruscant, and I think the Raider will go to the First Order because that's the only other place I think it would make sense aesthetically.

These are all baseless speculation of course, so what does everyone else think for the 2nd factions on the old Huge Ships?

Edited by Hippie Moosen