EVIL INC

New Epic

What are some things you want to see or expect to see in the upcoming epic?

1. I like the looks of the "ship connector" templates for flying in formation. I'm hoping to see these in normal games. I'm wondering what options there are or if there are variants.....

2. Conversion kits? I'm one of the ones who has a destroyer model and am not anxious to have to buy an all new one. I would like to see a conversion kit that comes with a new stand/base and cardboard Would be cheaper than buying a whole new ship and if it was generic and included the cardboard for all the big ships.... maybe even sell just the bases also for those who have multiple ships (of different kinds) so that those could buy one conversion kit and a few extra bases to be set.

Posted (edited)

1. On the contrary, I hope the formation mechanic stay in Epic where I think it is very relevant to save time moving a whole bunch of ships.

However, in standard play, one of the donwside of a swarm is that it requires meticulous flying to stay aligned and not bump your own ships. Swarms are already strong enough so it should stay this way to not make formation flying and swarming too easy.

2. It is confirmed that conversion kit will contains new bases (in one piece instead of two as before) and pegs (I think they said it in the celebration panel). It will also features new maneuvers templates for epic and every thing to play the 5 different 1.0 epic ships. It will also be possible to play huge ships cross-faction.

Edited by Ximatique

I'm very much models-first in my thinking (though gameplay is definitely important). I think the Radiant VII is a shoo-in for the Republic, but having not seen much of the Clone Wars and having not obsessively rewatched II and III, I'm not sure exactly what we could see for the CIS.

Posted (edited)

Consular corvettes for Republic would be nice. I don't think any CIS ship fit in epic right now.

Maybe C-9979 landing craft as a support ship. C9979_ep1ig.jpg.0ae5675863c1ebdb612c7bbce204ec49.jpg

Or Trident class assault ship, with a nice boarding mechanic.

Maybe they will do like the Raider et create a new one.

Edited by Ximatique

Are we talking Epic here?  Or are we talking Huge ships?   If you don't know, FFG stated over the weekend that Epic is going to be large, multiplayer games.  They do not necessarily involve Huge ships.   There will be a conversion kit for Huge ships.  There will be rules for Huge ships.   They will not be allowed in Tournament rules.  Epic will be about big battles and do not have to include huge ships.   

They also stated that there will be "epic battle" products.  So, you can buy a boxed set for The Battle of Endor, or something like that.   Remember that Epic will be the home of missions and campaigns.  

22 minutes ago, Ximatique said:

Consular corvettes for Republic would be nice. I don't think any CIS ship fit in epic right now.

Maybe C-9979 landing craft as a support ship. C9979_ep1ig.jpg.0ae5675863c1ebdb612c7bbce204ec49.jpg

Too big. It's more than twice the size of Corvette.

Just in case everyone didn't know....we were going to cover some details in our podcast tonight about Casual play (Shuttle Tydirium).   Here are all our notes on the latest talk from this past weekend:

Epic vs Huge Ships

• The very first thing I'd like to make clear is that in Second Edition we have separated Huge Ships and Epic.

• Huge Ships are the largest class of ship you can field in X-Wing (the CR90, Raider, etc.). They are not required for Epic Battles, though this is where they shine brightest.

• Epic is our focus on providing a fun multiplayer (3-8) experience for our players.

Scenarios

• I'll leave scenario details to our Marketing team, but I will say that Huge Ships are not required in Epic for Second Edition. There will be scenarios for play with Standard Ships as well as the inclusion of Huge Ships.

• …the Conversion Kit does not come with any scenarios in it, but they are presented in the separate Epic Battles product.

Huge Ship Conversion Kits

• You will receive 2 new Huge Ship bases with pegs (x4) in each conversion kit.

• Huge ships now use one base instead of two large bases.

• They are re-releasing the Raider, CR90, and C-ROC. Conversion kit will work for all 5 existing ships.

• There is only 1 Huge Ship conversion kit and it will convert all 5 of the First Edition Huge Ships to Second Edition

• The conversion kit will provide Second Edition punch and cards for all 5 First Edition Huge Ships (CR90, Raider, C-ROC, GR-75, Gozanti) in their original factions and 1 additional either prequel or sequel faction.

• Each huge ship comes with 1 alternative faction card in the Conversion Kit, allowing Prequel and Sequel players to jump in right away.

Formation/Wing Flying

• Up to 6 ships may fly in formation

• Appears that formations may be of mixed ship type.

• One dial moves the whole formation.

• A wing tool makes movement/placement of the 6 ships easy.

• Wonder if a 4 ship wing tool will be used.

• The tool is just used for moving "Wings" which are special to Epic Battles.

• New Ship ID tokens

Huge Ships Rules

• New rules

• New maneuver template

• Huge Ships will have two actions per turn

• Huge Ships will have both an Initiative and Engagement values

Epic Battles

• 3-8 players

• New ship ID tokens

12 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Just in case everyone didn't know....we were going to cover some details in our podcast tonight about Casual play (Shuttle Tydirium).   Here are all our notes on the latest talk from this past weekend:

This all sounds amazing, if true. This could be golden age of epic coming soon.

The only thing I wish is the conversion kit had more plastic stands/bases in it. I may have to buy two kits. 🙂 

But I am all in for the huge ship conversions and the epic battles product.

@Darth Meanie - looks like my fears may have been unwarranted. Conversion kit appears to cover all 5 ships. 

1 minute ago, ScummyRebel said:

This all sounds amazing, if true. This could be golden age of epic coming soon.

The only thing I wish is the conversion kit had more plastic stands/bases in it. I may have to buy two kits. 🙂 

But I am all in for the huge ship conversions and the epic battles product.

@Darth Meanie - looks like my fears may have been unwarranted. Conversion kit appears to cover all 5 ships. 

Even though some people seem to think otherwise, FFG really is trying to make the game better.  I mean, it's in their best interest to make the game better without breaking everyone's bank.  I am glad they are finally seeing the light when it comes to all the cool things they can do with Epic.  

Why would you think they wouldn't have all 5 ships in a conversion kit?  The only other option I would think of is if they did it per faction?  In which case it would be smaller and cheaper?  That, though, would probably be better for those who have everything.  

I do hope they sell the bases individually.  I one one of every Huge ship and could see playing with more than 2 in a single game.  Then again, I am sure I can use the old bases....or find SOMETHING to make it work.  

1 minute ago, heychadwick said:

Just curious, but why?    I figured there were enough of them still around to buy.

Mostly because it gives me options. The CR90 is the only huge ship that really grabs my eye and if I have the option to get it without buying a conversion kit all the better. Depending on what upgrade cards get included of course. 

19 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Formation/Wing Flying

This will probably be my "make or break" point within the new rules. How cleanly do they implement these rules? Can the wings break into smaller elements or are they fixed to that single dial?

I'm looking forward to that huge ship conversion kit, I'm a lucky one that has only one of each of four of five of the big ships.  I'm also very curious about the scenario styled box set for epic. So little solid information, but some great hints of what's to come.

1 minute ago, heychadwick said:

Why would you think they wouldn't have all 5 ships in a conversion kit?  The only other option I would think of is if they did it per faction?  In which case it would be smaller and cheaper?  That, though, would probably be better for those who have everything.  

It was just a fear based on the slide that says “conversion for the three huge ships” which was probably just a typo in hindsight.

I am glad we get them all right away. Even though I haven’t bought prequel factions, I also like that they are multi-factioning them in the kit so everybody gets an epic.

1 minute ago, LagJanson said:

This will probably be my "make or break" point within the new rules. How cleanly do they implement these rules? Can the wings break into smaller elements or are they fixed to that single dial?

I'm looking forward to that huge ship conversion kit, I'm a lucky one that has only one of each of four of five of the big ships.  I'm also very curious about the scenario styled box set for epic. So little solid information, but some great hints of what's to come.

OK.....so you are saying that depending on how they do the Squadron rules that you might or might not get into Epic games?   Really?!?!?    It seems really cool to me.  Also, you can probably do whatever you want with friends.   

Yes, one conversion kit for me as I have one of everything.

Sure, little solid info, but we can make a bunch of projections based on what they have said.  In fact, I recall saying it looked like they were going to do a lot more with things like campaigns and missions and all and everyone pulled this "I'll see it when I believe it" bit.  Now, you see this and it's further proof they are moving in a good direction.   I'm sure we will get something really cool with the first product and there will still be people going, "Yeah, but it's not really x" or some such.  I say that all signs have been pointing in a positive direction and I continue to be optimistic.  

...the Conversion Kit does not come with any scenarios in it, but they are presented in the separate Epic Battles product.

So....it looks like they will come out with boxed sets for specific battles.  Something like Battle of Endor.   They can go a lot of different directions with this and they don't have to do the same thing with each product.   So, if you don't like how the first one handled something it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think the second product can be different.  It sounds like a boxed set around a specific battle or campaign that will have scenarios in it.  It could be a linear thing like the previous Epic campaigns.  Maybe it's something that adds up points for victories.  Who knows?  Maybe mechanism for improvements for ships or Squadrons.  I am sure each product will probably get better as they learn from mistakes.  

3 minutes ago, Zura said:

Where do u guys get the info?

Different sources from Star Wars Celebration this past weekend.   Much of it is all over reddit.  There is a FFG presentation video done by Gold Squadron at an FFG panel.   

7 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

So....it looks like they will come out with boxed sets for specific battles.  Something like Battle of Endor.   They can go a lot of different directions with this and they don't have to do the same thing with each product.   So, if you don't like how the first one handled something it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think the second product can be different.  It sounds like a boxed set around a specific battle or campaign that will have scenarios in it.  It could be a linear thing like the previous Epic campaigns.  Maybe it's something that adds up points for victories.  Who knows?  Maybe mechanism for improvements for ships or Squadrons.  I am sure each product will probably get better as they learn from mistakes.  

I’m really looking forward most of all to the campaigns. I really want to see something that chains off past games like the Armada campaign packs.

To me, that’s what epic should be.... and if anyone wants to do “standard X-Wing but bigger” good for them! We can do that too. But missions with new concepts or ideas we can’t do in a symmetric straight up fight. Assault an outpost with defensive turrets (similar to the HotAC base?) or new obstacle/terrain types beyond the standards. Maybe even moving obstacles with direction determined by die roll? 

I really hope we get an announcement early enough that epic 2.0 is here by Christmas.... 

9 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

OK.....so you are saying that depending on how they do the Squadron rules that you might or might not get into Epic games?   Really?!?!?    It seems really cool to me.  Also, you can probably do whatever you want with friends.   

Yes, one conversion kit for me as I have one of everything.

Sure, little solid info, but we can make a bunch of projections based on what they have said.  In fact, I recall saying it looked like they were going to do a lot more with things like campaigns and missions and all and everyone pulled this "I'll see it when I believe it" bit.  Now, you see this and it's further proof they are moving in a good direction.   I'm sure we will get something really cool with the first product and there will still be people going, "Yeah, but it's not really x" or some such.  I say that all signs have been pointing in a positive direction and I continue to be optimistic.  

Absolutely, yeah. 

Don’t over think my response though. Absolutely everything sounds cool. The squadron rules though have the greatest potential to ruin the flavour. Not saying it will, just hoping it won’t.

21 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Absolutely, yeah. 

Don’t over think my response though. Absolutely everything sounds cool. The squadron rules though have the greatest potential to ruin the flavour. Not saying it will, just hoping it won’t.

I definitely want to see how it is implemented, but I think the squadron/wing rules have the potential to really speed up the game, especially in the first few turns when it’s mostly closing distance.  Once you get near rocks or into a furball, you are going to want to split off anyway, the squad mechanic looks like mostly a time saver, and a way to keep fighters on target for a run against a huge ship.  Of course, if you misjudge it, a huge ship could end up just plowing through your squadron.

59 minutes ago, FatherTurin said:

I definitely want to see how it is implemented, but I think the squadron/wing rules have the potential to really speed up the game, especially in the first few turns when it’s mostly closing distance.  Once you get near rocks or into a furball, you are going to want to split off anyway

If they implement it like this I’m good. I can also see it being “a time saver“ that doesn’t allow breaking up, which would be bad.

I assume they didn’t lock wings together. I await rules to confirm it!

3 hours ago, heychadwick said:

Epic vs Huge Ships

• The very first thing I'd like to make clear is that in Second Edition we have separated Huge Ships and Epic.

• Huge Ships are the largest class of ship you can field in X-Wing (the CR90, Raider, etc.). They are not required for Epic Battles, though this is where they shine brightest.

• Epic is our focus on providing a fun multiplayer (3-8) experience for our players.

Scenarios

• I'll leave scenario details to our Marketing team, but I will say that Huge Ships are not required in Epic for Second Edition. There will be scenarios for play with Standard Ships as well as the inclusion of Huge Ships.

• …the Conversion Kit does not come with any scenarios in it, but they are presented in the separate Epic Battles product.

Huge Ship Conversion Kits

• You will receive 2 new Huge Ship bases with pegs (x4) in each conversion kit.

• Huge ships now use one base instead of two large bases.

• They are re-releasing the Raider, CR90, and C-ROC. Conversion kit will work for all 5 existing ships.

• There is only 1 Huge Ship conversion kit and it will convert all 5 of the First Edition Huge Ships to Second Edition

• The conversion kit will provide Second Edition punch and cards for all 5 First Edition Huge Ships (CR90, Raider, C-ROC, GR-75, Gozanti) in their original factions and 1 additional either prequel or sequel faction.

• Each huge ship comes with 1 alternative faction card in the Conversion Kit, allowing Prequel and Sequel players to jump in right away.

Formation/Wing Flying

• New Ship ID tokens

Huge Ships Rules

• New rules

• New maneuver template

• Huge Ships will have two actions per turn

• Huge Ships will have both an Initiative and Engagement values

Epic Battles

• 3-8 players

• New ship ID tokens

Why was only part of this in the Panel they did Sat? At least in the part I saw on stream.

5 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Why was only part of this in the Panel they did Sat? At least in the part I saw on stream.

They want to keep some things hidden until the article reveal, but a guy on the inside is answering some of the innocuous questions on the Reddit thread listed above. It's good to have a few more answers, but I'm so ready for that article!

I was debating on whether to even convert my huge ships since they never got a lot of use, but Epic Battles means I likely will. The one conversion kit is also a bigger seller, since I felt burned buying the original 3 conversion kits.

Hopefully this will be their big GenCon release, since at this point early fall is the probably the soonest we will see this.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, heychadwick said:

Why would you think they wouldn't have all 5 ships in a conversion kit? 

The slide at Celebration said "3 ships" and the image did, in fact, leave out the GR-75 and Imperial Gozanti.

4 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

It was just a fear based on the slide that says “conversion for the three huge ships” which was probably just a typo in hindsight.

I am glad we get them all right away. Even though I haven’t bought prequel factions, I also like that they are multi-factioning them in the kit so everybody gets an epic.

Well, I think not a typo.

We will get all 5 ships converted.

We will get 3 ships as 2.0 packs right away.

4 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

I’m really looking forward most of all to the campaigns. I really want to see something that chains off past games like the Armada campaign packs.

To me, that’s what epic should be.... and if anyone wants to do “standard X-Wing but bigger” good for them! We can do that too. But missions with new concepts or ideas we can’t do in a symmetric straight up fight. Assault an outpost with defensive turrets (similar to the HotAC base?) or new obstacle/terrain types beyond the standards. Maybe even moving obstacles with direction determined by die roll? 

And turret emplacements.

And purrgil.

And reinforecments.

And squadrons.

And mats with the DS trench printed on them.

And 3-D satellites.

And a space station.

Like now?  I'm kinda in a hurry.

Image result for han solo endor c-3po

Edited by Darth Meanie