Talonbane Cobra

Rebel ARC-170 compatibility?

Apologies if this has been covered, I did have a search and couldn't find anything.

I am wondering if it's possible to use my existing ARC-170 (rebel with conversion Kit) as a Republic ship, if I buy 1 republic ARC-170?

Do the dials match? If so what are the limitations? Does maybe the kit come with 2 dials (that would be nice)

I'm guessing if the dials are the same then the issues would be only able to run certain pilot combinations and no multiple Generics of the same type?

44 minutes ago, Talonbane Cobra said:

So there's two chits for each ship just not the ship cards? That's fine I am not going to tournaments, Thanks. I'll place the order!

I think it’s just the one generic that has two (because they had a blank space otherwise for that half of the chit?). But in either case, if you find a combination that works for you go for it! Use your rebel model/base/dial and fly two ARCs.

Anyone able to let me know what the chits look like? In with 6 pilots you could have 3 Chits, one with 2 unique and the others with 1 unique and one generic. So I figured if there was a duplicate chit for one of the generics there would actually be 4 chits, one for each unique with a generic on the back each.

The only reason to do the 4 really would be to allow people to use the Rebel ones. 

38 minutes ago, joeshmoe554 said:

The Republic ARC comes with 4 bases (1 for each unique and 2 for each generic).  All that's needed is an extra card for each, so hopefully FFG decides to use the ARC-170 generics for alt-art cards in the near future. 

This is correct. They FINALLY got the pilot tiles right in an expansion (I would have preferred universal pilot tiles in 2.0, but too late for that). Also of minor note is there is only 1 Seventh Fleet Gunner upgrade in the pack, if that matters to you. I currently have the same setup, 1 Republic and 1 converted Rebel. Not having matching generics can be annoying, but I'm usually flying at least one unique anyway. You should also be able to run any of the 2 Rebel pilots together, though I haven't checked the ship tiles yet to confirm.

I do need to point out that the dials for the rebellion ARCs don't match the Republic ARCs, and so technically cannot be used per the rules. rebellion ARCs don't use the full exact name on the dial as the republic 

5 hours ago, Talonbane Cobra said:

Anyone able to let me know what the chits look like? In with 6 pilots you could have 3 Chits, one with 2 unique and the others with 1 unique and one generic. So I figured if there was a duplicate chit for one of the generics there would actually be 4 chits, one for each unique with a generic on the back each.

The only reason to do the 4 really would be to allow people to use the Rebel ones. 

There are 4 uniques, each on a separate tile.

Sinker and Jag are backed by 104th

The other two are backed by Squad Seven

38 minutes ago, nikk whyte said:

I do need to point out that the dials for the rebellion ARCs don't match the Republic ARCs, and so technically cannot be used per the rules. rebellion ARCs don't use the full exact name on the dial as the republic 

But if you put them in a premium dial... would you be able to tell?

39 minutes ago, nikk whyte said:

I thought the only requirements were identical moves on the dials, and matching ship names on the cards. Now I gotta dig this up in the rules again...

7 minutes ago, Hippie Moosen said:

I thought the only requirements were identical moves on the dials, and matching ship names on the cards. Now I gotta dig this up in the rules again...

Here. Page 3 of the text only version of the tournament regs:

Multiple Faction Ships
All ship cards and ship bases in a player’s squad must belong to the same
faction. If a player’s ship has different versions in more than one faction, the
player may use any version of the miniature and dial that match the full ship
name when assembling a squad. All dials must be from Second Edition. Plastic
dial backs from the premium maneuver dial kit may be used.
Multiple Ship Example: Scott is fielding a Scum & Villainy
squad that has two BTL-A4 Y-wings. One of his BTL-A4 Y-wing
miniatures and one of his BTL-A4 Y-wing dials is from the Second
Edition BTL-A4 Y-wing expansion. The other BTL-A4 Y-wing
miniature is from the First Edition Most Wanted expansion,
and the other dial is from the Second Edition Scum and Villainy
Conversion Kit. However, all of his ship cards and ship bases are
from the Scum & Villainy faction.

The Rebel dial part with the name on it for the ARC that comes in the conversion kit says "ARC-170" only on it. I don't have a Pubbie ARC-170 so I don't know what is on that one.

6 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

The Rebel dial part with the name on it for the ARC that comes in the conversion kit says "ARC-170" only on it. I don't have a Pubbie ARC-170 so I don't know what is on that one.

It reads "ARC-170 Starfighter"

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, nikk whyte said:

It reads "ARC-170 Starfighter"

Ironically so do the pilot cards for the Rebel ARC-170s.

•Ibtisam•Norra Wexley•Garven Dreis•Shara Bey

I guess Rebel players wanting to fly them have to buy Republic ARC-170s to legally play these ships in a tourney... At least by your logic.

Edited by Hiemfire

14 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

If a player’s ship has different versions in more than one faction, the
player may use any version of the miniature and dial that match the full ship
name when assembling a squad. All dials must be from Second Edition.

Reading that, and looking at the ARC-170 cards from both factions, I'd say using rebel ARCs with rebel dials is just fine by the rules. The name on the card is the ship name, and those are a perfect match. The moves and colors of the moves on the dials are also identical.

The ship name dial issue was raised at the UK System Open this weekend.

Because Nikk Whyte is correct about the official rule, and events aren't allowed to contravene these rules, just interpret them, the organisers couldn't just say 'the dials are interchangeable,  no problem' so they got round this by asking everyone wanting to use the 'wrong' dial to see a judge and have their dial checked to see if it matched - and, amazingly, all dials were fine for use. :)

On 4/15/2019 at 5:26 PM, Hippie Moosen said:

Reading that, and looking at the ARC-170 cards from both factions, I'd say using rebel ARCs with rebel dials is just fine by the rules. The name on the card is the ship name, and those are a perfect match. The moves and colors of the moves on the dials are also identical.

You're willfully ignoring the "dial that match the full ship name" part

does the dial match the full ship name? 

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, nikk whyte said:

You're willfully ignoring the "dial that match the full ship name" part

does the dial match the full ship name? 

Pretty sure @Gilarius already settled this for us. No the dial names don't match, but the TO's permitted their use anyway. They just took a moment to verify the dials had the correct manuevers. I imagine that will be the same at other tournaments as well. The ship name is a term defined in the rules and it is stated to be the name on the card. Those match between the 2 versions.

You are technically correct about the dial names, but it would appear that the intention was for these models to be interchangeable. The dial names for every ship I have match the ship name on the card except for the Rebel ARC. It would appear this disagreement is due to a misprint on the Rebel dials and nothing more. That's only a theory, but it feels more probable than the dial getting a different name therefore resulting in incompatibility.

Edited by Hippie Moosen

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Hippie Moosen said:

Pretty sure @Gilarius already settled this for us. No the dial names don't match, but the TO's permitted their use anyway. I imagine that will be the same at other tournaments as well. The ship name is a term defined in the rules and it is stated to be the name on the card. Those match between the 2 versions.

You are technically correct about the dial names, but it would appear that the intention was for these models to be interchangeable. The dial names for every ship I have match the ship name on the card except for the Rebel ARC. It would appear this disagreement is due to a misprint on the Rebel dials and nothing more. That's only a theory, but it feels more probable than the dial getting a different name therefore resulting in incompatibility.

Their position, if held to by tournament officials, renders the Rebel ARC-170s illegal for tournament play unless the people who are flying them use the dials from the Republic ARC-170 Starfighter expansion... The dials in the Conversion Kit do not match the pilot cards from the same kit. I gather @nikk whyte will be calling for Nathan Eide's World's invite to be rescinded due to him using an illegal list at Adepticon then (ARC-170 Norra Wexley was one of the 3 ships)?

Edited by Hiemfire

17 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Their position, if held to by tournament officials, renders the Rebel ARC-170s illegal for tournament play unless the people who are flying them use the dials from the Republic ARC-170 Starfighter expansion... The dials in the Conversion Kit do not match the pilot cards from the same kit. I gather @nikk whyte will be calling for Nathan Eide's World's invite to be rescinded due to him using an illegal list at Adepticon then (ARC-170 Norra Wexley was one of the 3 ships)?

no, since this is a rules discussion not a practicality discussion.