BrickDaniels

Quick Line of Sight (house rule)

Posted (edited)

My friends and I use a lot of complicated terrain when we play Legion, so determining LoS can make the game drag a bit. I thought of this as a potential solution:

If a unit leader has LoS to at least one mini in another unit, all minis in its own unit have LoS to all minis in the other unit.

Edited by BrickDaniels

I mean, only if in extremely dubious conditions would I use this since placement of units so some of a squad can see some of another squad is extremely important for some strategies (meerkating, suicide-chargebombing)

1 minute ago, Jabby said:

I mean, only if in extremely dubious conditions would I use this since placement of units so some of a squad can see some of another squad is extremely important for some strategies (meerkating, suicide-chargebombing)

This. Many strategies wouldn't be possible with that rule. Also it is kind of bs when you can shoot a whole unit just because you see a hand sticking out behind a wall...

For new players this might be a good rule for their first couple games, but honestly, although LoS and Cover rules sound complicated at first they are really easy once you get a grip on them.
If you have difficulties with LoS and Cover rules read this thread:

2 hours ago, BrickDaniels said:

My friends and I use a lot of complicated terrain when we play Legion, so determining LoS can make the game drag a bit. Here's a brief suggestion for anyone else with the same problem:

If a unit leader has LoS to at least one mini in another unit, all minis in its own unit have LoS to all minis in the other unit.

Sounds like a huge bonus granted to squad shooting, with no compensatory balancing mechanic.

3 hours ago, BrickDaniels said:

My friends and I use a lot of complicated terrain when we play Legion, so determining LoS can make the game drag a bit. Here's a brief suggestion for anyone else with the same problem:

Your house rule fundamentally changes the game.  If it works for you, great.  It definitely wouldn't work for me as I play a lot of organized play events and rarely play "in my garage".  Your answer is effectively the same as playing with no terrain and just arbitrarily giving some units cover based on 2D areas of the board.

7 hours ago, BrickDaniels said:

Here's a brief suggestion for anyone else with the same problem:

Maybe I shouldn't have said this bit. I'll edit it out for future readers. Didn't expect reactions to be hostile.

2 hours ago, BrickDaniels said:

Maybe I shouldn't have said this bit. I'll edit it out for future readers. Didn't expect reactions to be hostile.

not sure what was in the OP before the edit, but I don't think the responses are hostile. I do think that everyone is pointing out that the house rule is changing a fundamental rule in the game. Some say it differently than others but essentially its the same message.

Just curious is this your first venture into miniature gaming? I find that players with less experience do want a simpler way to resolve certain situations. Your point is an example of this IMO. Its not bad just that it really changes the game.

18 hours ago, BrickDaniels said:

I don't think any of the reactions were hostile.  I just don't think you're getting much agreement.  That can sometimes feel like hostility, I guess.

I think a better solution to deciding whether or not a model is in LOS is to roll a die or flip a coin when it's too close to call.  That doesn't fundamentally change the game, but does take away the need to constantly make contested decisions.

The ability to safeguard models by keeping them out of line of sight is just too important to certain strategies.  I like to take two man Scout Trooper Strike Teams.  I'll typically put the Sniper/Leader out in the open and have the spotter guy hiding out of LOS.  The unit can take a million wounds and that spotter will live.  Leader replaces the spotter, per the rules and then next turn you can have him move out of cover and take another shot.  Same with objective squatting.  I'll keep at least a Trooper or two out of LOS to make sure the unit can't get wiped.

Some miniatures games I play require you to not only check LOS from every model in the unit, but also check range for every model in the unit, then determine various penalties PER MODEL based on those measurements and LOS. So even just checking range from the leader is much simpler to me, and in my experience the more practice you get determining LOS, the quicker it gets. 

I do appreciate the additional simplicity of this house rule, and it has some merits for people just learning their first miniatures games.

But I'm of the opinion that the best way to learn the game is to play the game as written, make mistakes with the rules, and learn from them. If you get too used to playing with house rules, then you aren't really playing the same game as everyone else, making it difficult to play at events or a pickup game with people who don't use that house rule.