Ragnar_the_Blue

How do I fit Shoretroopers and Snowtroopers in the same Army?

Posted (edited)

Hey Guys, so I bought the Base Game today and and immediately got to building. While doing that I already thought about new additions to the Imperials. I both love the Snowtroopers as well as the upcoming Shoretroopers and would like to have both eventually.

Now I like to have armies in tabletop games fit together lore-wise. And I love bringing a bit of narrative into the models trough painting and especially basing.

I thought of doing the bases in the style of Crait, the salt planet from the last Jedi. That would explain Snowtroopers, but Shoretroopers and Speeder Bikes don't really fit in there.

Could there be an explanation for Snowtroopers to be deployed on Endor? It has got huge lakes that could fit Shoretroopers, Bikes obviously fit there, I could even paint up and converse some mud troopers, so no problem there. Only the Snowtroopers don't seem to fit in.

Would be glad for someone more immersed in the lore than me to help me out. A planet where all of those would fit, or a good explanation for them to be on for example Endor would be great.

Edited by Ragnar_the_Blue

Think of every battle as the rebels happened upon an imperial armor factory and the imps are just putting on whatever armor they can find to fight with. 

I'm now amused by the idea that the snow troopers landed into battle and went "crap, we were supposed to wear the regular armor!"

8 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Rename shoretroopers slushtroopers?

hotspring Troopers?

Canada Troopers - Here in Ontario we can have several seasons in a week, sometime day, even.

Environmental Collapse Stormtroopers?

yes I HAD RAIN TODAY AND NOW SNOW SO I CAN SEE THAT   I LIKE SPRING TO COME

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Rename shoretroopers slushtroopers?

hotspring Troopers?

Canada Troopers - Here in Ontario we can have several seasons in a week, sometime day, even.

Environmental Collapse Stormtroopers?

Like this weekend, beautiful Saturday... and then today it is Snowing and raining again !!!

@Ragnar_the_Blue I think the biggest issue comes from the mouse. In their description it states they are trained and equiped for tropical environments, however their name is Coastal Defender trooper. Now not all coasts are sandy beaches as we know in tropical environments. Honestly you could probably paint them as white to match snow troopers.

Who is to say the tropical environment doesn't get snow during winter seasons? It is star wars. Anything is possible.

I personally like to stay as canonical as possible but, it isn't very well explored so... take some artistic and head canon liberties!

Edited by BlueSquadronPilot

I haven’t painted my snowtroopers as snowtroopers. One squad is just regular greys and white with a slight blue shade as per the rest of my army. The other squad started as a mechaniucs inspired paint scheme and turned into galactic marines with gold trim by accident (long story). If and when I get shore troopers I’ll probably just paint them whites and greys and dark blues to fit the rest

1 minute ago, MasterShake2 said:

Suspension of Disbelief, they're plastic army men

Well that isn’t fun. 

You could look at them as environmental troopers and paint them to fit with what ever army you are going for. I believe in TFA the flame troopers were actually snow troopers with the thermal padding pulled out of their armor, and if the FO did it, I’m sure the empire did as well.

Honestly your speeder bikes fit anywhere. Bikes can be used in basically any environment and they are ridden by a scout trooper. Scouts would be deployed literally anywhere. 

Snow troopers are tricky to fit lore wise as they are essentially storm troopers in warmer clothes. Maybe you have them on a planet that gets very cold at night?

Here's 3 ways to thematically put Shoretroopers on Crait:

1) There's a ton salt on Crait, so there must bea large body of water on the planet somewhere. Therefore, the Shoretroopers were meant to be deployed there, but were rerouted to the current battle.

2) The empire are using Shoretroopers as make-shift Mountain Infantry as their armour is suitable for climbing steep hills.

3) A shuttle/escape pod carrying Shoretroopers crash-landed nearby and the surviving occupants joined in the nearby fight.

There's 1 easy way for Bikes to thematically be on Crait:

1) Crait is mostly large flat salt plains, and the Bikes would be at home on a large, flat open area.

There's 2 ways to thematically have Snowtroopers on Endor:

1) They were called in from one of Endor's Mountain Ranges and haven't had time to change equipment.

2) A shuttle/escape pod carrying Snowtroopers crash-landed nearby and the surviving occupants joined in the nearby fight.

I always thought of it that maybe they were all winter, but the planet hit spring and some are rocking gear for more temperate weather; regular stormtrooper are is rated for short stints in hard vacuum, which is pretty cold.

The 501st are a great source of info for stuff like this. As Vode mentioned, the Galactic Marines are (IIRC) a bit of a stretch but work visually to bring snowtroopers and shoretroopers together. 

500?cb=20051105040321

https://www.501st.com/members/costumeroster.php?catagoryID=25

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Galactic_Marines/Legends