This is going to be amazing.  As someone who was 6 years old when ANH was released, I feel this is the Star Wars I have always wanted.

I should say I am a fan that never says anything bad about any of the films/shows. I love them all.  I have a feeling I will love this the most though...

This really has me excited, and premiering just over a month before IX ... hectic month amid grading exams and Christmas and all.

I may have to start a new SW campaign at some point it seems, and the post-RotJ era is currently much more interesting as a starting point than Resistance/Sequel trilogy to me - I need to move between movie-canon events via my own head-campaign-canon.

3 hours ago, DaverWattra said:

I'm also not the world's biggest Filoni fan, but that's because I don't like his philosophy of the Force.  He should do well with this subject matter.

What is his philosophy of the Force, and what don't you like?  Inquiring minds, etc...

15 hours ago, whafrog said:

What is his philosophy of the Force, and what don't you like?  Inquiring minds, etc...

Just a variety of different ways in which his portrayal of the Force departs from my preferred interpretation of the movies' aesthetic: time travel and parallel universes, weird avatars of the light and dark sides on Mortis, green magical powers used by the Nightsisters.  It adds up to a lot of D&D-esque portrayals of the Force as spell-casting magic, rather than as a holistic mental and physical discipline more analogous to Eastern mysticism (which is how I think of the Force).

18 minutes ago, Stan Fresh said:

At least half of that comes from Lucas, not Filoni.

True... as has often been observed, Lucas himself jumped the shark sometime between 1983 and 1999.  But I believe the aesthetic of the Mortis episodes could have been done in a way that fit better with the OT atmosphere while retaining many of the same themes.

I believe he tried to introduce something called the Bendu, which was meant to be a creature that existed between the Light and the Darkside. Practically speaking, it was a creature that dwelled in neutrality, it was selfish in it's desires but pious in the sense that it's desire was just to be left alone. When trouble came to it's neighbourhood, it attempted to murder absolutely everything, so strictly speaking it kinda had the baggage of being both good and evil.

That being said, my perspective on things like the Bendu is it isn't really a moral standard to aspire to, but rather a force of nature contained in the form of a being. 

Night Sisters to me are quite simple: They are using the Force/it's darkside, but because perception defines reality in star wars their powers manifest completely differently. Magic is the force using a different set of guidelines and a different set of beliefs, that to me makes a good deal of sense and would be the hint of spice added to a great dish. That the force itself is a reflection of the people who look into it and that by itself, it doesn't have a formal identity. Maybe that, is the biggest mystery of the force that makes it inherently unreadible

That being said, I don't take star wars terribly seriously, I just look forward to this tv series with some curiousity.

1 hour ago, DaverWattra said:

Just a variety of different ways in which his portrayal of the Force departs from my preferred interpretation of the movies' aesthetic: time travel and parallel universes, weird avatars of the light and dark sides on Mortis, green magical powers used by the Nightsisters.  It adds up to a lot of D&D-esque portrayals of the Force as spell-casting magic, rather than as a holistic mental and physical discipline more analogous to Eastern mysticism (which is how I think of the Force).

I agree that's how the Jedi viewed it (as far as I can tell), but that doesn't mean there aren't alternatives.  There were a few references (by Yoda and Mace) to "illusion"...both Nightsister magic and spiritual remnants like Darth Bane were called out in this way.  The question is what "illusion" specifically refers to, and maybe TCW didn't last long enough to get to the topic.  It's not as real as the Force, but apparently you can make swords and legs and cups out of it, or even talk to it.  Hard to pin down, I think it's just symbolic of the ease with which people are tempted by easy paths not grounded in reality (ie the Force), and how numerous and varied those temptations might be.

I was always iffy about the Mortis arc, but like most such things I shrug and roll with it.  IMHO that and things like the space-time paths in Rebels are just interesting surface details that don't change the underlying sense.  Besides, they have been careful to shut these down after use, which is a good thing:  Mortis self-destructs, and the portals to the space-time paths are destroyed.

3 hours ago, Dafydd said:

If you haven't already seen it, this might interest you

Reasonable guy. The prequels and special edition genuinely sucked, the Disney stuff is mostly good and people are underrating it due to nostalgia. That's my view too.

Great video. 

During the Mandalorian PR event, everyone kept banging the "OT! Real sets! Kurosawa! Westerns!" drum -- which are vital elements of Star Wars.

As we continue to see experiments in post-'83 franchise installments, the more it's apparent that Star Wars -- well, any Lucasfilm -- is incredibly stylized at the same time it needs to always expand and limit recycling. 

Neither Disney nor SE-Prequel Lucas has gotten it quite right. I'd put Disney above Lucas for better matching style, but also accepting the phenomenon as its own "thing," whereas Lucas became supremely egotistical and insisted that his whims, over-the-hill or otherwise, were Star Wars. That said, the absense of Williams-caliber scores, Burtt-caliber SFX, and even particular shots and editing and humor accumulate to bring down Disney's score. Wipes matter. More impartial shot perspective matters. They can't half-Marvel it and think it'll stack up to ANH.

Filoni and Favreau sound like the most capable students of the tradition yet. Not ever, but I hear a deeper understanding of the style so far.

It didn't feel identified with the initial premise of the video, nor the review of events in the OT vs TLJ. But overall, a good video.

Speaking of celebration, It was surprising the amount of love for EU. I can't recall if it was in the Mandalorian or Clone Wars Panel, but a lot of applause for using EU as reference.

21 hours ago, Rithuan said:

Speaking of celebration, It was surprising the amount of love for EU. I can't recall if it was in the Mandalorian or Clone Wars Panel, but a lot of applause for using EU as reference.

Lots of us grew up reading the EU novels. When I was 15, I read about a dozen of those novels one summer. And, I probably own about 70% of them. There’s a lot of great stuff in there. Some bad too, but most of it is pretty high quality.

One of the things I love about Dave Filoni’s work in TCW and Rebels is that he has introduced some of the best of the EU back into the new continuity.

Edited by AnomalousAuthor

8 hours ago, wilsch said:

Wipes matter. More impartial shot perspective matters.

Word.  As much as I love a lot of what is in TLJ, the cinematography aspects of the movie really pull you out of the Star Wars universe at several places.

10 hours ago, DaverWattra said:

Word.  As much as I love a lot of what is in TLJ, the cinematography aspects of the movie really pull you out of the Star Wars universe at several places.

Same. It's the one disagreement I'd have with the maker of the video on another commentary of his about Star Wars' storytelling language. He welcomes the Disney-era expansion of cinematographic "vocabulary."

While it's all well done, I think the extent of it strays from the genre more than adds to. People generally sense this, consciously or not, and when *explicitly told* by Disney that a live-action feature returns to stylistic roots, get some cognitive dissonance. 

And again, something we're discovering as moviegoers and fans. So, we'll see if Filoni and Favreau have the recipe right.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:53 AM, wilsch said:

Great video. 

During the Mandalorian PR event, everyone kept banging the "OT! Real sets! Kurosawa! Westerns!" drum -- which are vital elements of Star Wars.

Filoni and Favreau sound like the most capable students of the tradition yet. Not ever, but I hear a deeper understanding of the style so far.

I believe Favreau and Filoni are genuine fans, and The Mandalorien is going to be a big thing and will be done right. Fans are going to feel the nostalgia and be hooked on this series.

On 4/16/2019 at 1:38 PM, DaverWattra said:

Did you ever read the Marvel comics Star Wars run in the 1980's? They where hugely inspired by other marvel properties. While Flash Gordon, John Carpenter of Mars, Saturday morning matinée serials with cliff hangers, Westerns and Samurai films were what George Lucas watched as a young man. The force is all of those things, coo-key magic, eastern mysticism, D&D spell casting, Avatars, Alchemy.

Edited by Eoen