Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Will The Mandalorian Give Legion it’s Scum Faction

14 hours ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

Hondo, Hondo, Hondo, Hondo, Hondo, Hondo, Hondo, Hondo, Hondo, Hondo, Hondo, Hondo, Hondo, Hondo, Hondo, Hondo, Hondo and Hondo, Hondo, Hondo, Hondo...

How did I miss this post?? You actually raised some excellent suggestions, and I wouldn’t mind at all if Scum came to Legion. I guess realistically, in X-Wing they don’t have any sort of subfaction abilities/synergies at all and it works fine (though some people do keep asking for that to be implemented.)

Also I 100% noticed you interlaced Hondo’s name throughout before I got to the three at the end 🙄

2 thoughts:

Firstly, order bonuses. Say "Weeguay Pirates" are a Corps in this "Scum" faction, they'd have a new keyword called "Loyalty: _____" where the blank is filled by a specific commander's name, Hondo's in this case. When the Weequay Pirate are issued an order, if it came from the unit named in the Loyalty keyword, they get either an aim or a dodge token upon activating. Which of the two tokens would be chosen by the player controlling the activating unit.

Secondly, a keyword called "Nemesis: ______" where the blank is filled by another unit's name. This keyword would be like "AI: Attack" but the attack is performed against the unit named in the Nemesis keyword, providing an attack is possible. So both Tusken Raiders and Jawas have the Nemesis keyword naming each other and, if not given an order, will attack them even if they're both on the same team.

On 4/17/2019 at 1:47 PM, SpiderMana said:

My initial response to something like this is pretty "meh."

But.

What about having several Scum mini-factions that have just a commander, one generic corps-type unit, and then one or two special units (vehicle/support/special forces) or something like that... And to play as the Scum faction, you pick 1-2 sub-factions to build your army with? Have a bunch of Operatives that work with any sub-factions?

I still don't find it very likely, but that could keep it from being a complete hodge-podge. I like it better than the idea of completely separate mini-factions or one big Scum faction, to be honest.

Im really digging what you are saying here. 

There seems to be a bunch of ways where Scum can be added allowing for unique sub factions within it, and still allow flexibility across the whole range.

The whole concept of adding bonuses for sticking in one specific sub genera is really compelling.  It allows for flexability and keeps theme.

My only hesitation at all of the "sub-faction" bonuses are the added complexity to a relatively simple game. I'd rather see inbuilt synergies or Entourage to encourage specific builds without making them mandatory. Stuff like a unit with Nimble and their associated commander has "Take Cover," or Jabba having "Entourage: Gamorrean Guards."   

I think they will do like Wizards did and have independent faction fighters that can join any army, at lest that would be the best way to go. this way they can always just add errated cards to any existing characters (boba fett, bossk, etc..) to let them fight for who ever pays the highest.

I feel like one of the least intrusive ways to encourage thematic builds—without destroying non-thematic builds altogether—would be, as somebody suggested, to give commanders subfaction-specific or subfaction-bonus command cards.

So orders can be specifically aimed at Weequay pirates or Mandolorians or Gammoreans, etc, like Sabotaged Communications.

When it comes down to it, I will be happy with scum in whatever form ffg decides to do them. The star wars underworld is just such an iconic part of the series that it would be a real shame if they did not have some impact on legion. As for sandpeople and jawas, i think they would be best handled like encounters in frostgrave. You move to claim an objective and a squad randomly appears at a table edge or within a certain distance of the objective. 

9 hours ago, Indy_com said:

2 thoughts:

Firstly, order bonuses. Say "Weeguay Pirates" are a Corps in this "Scum" faction, they'd have a new keyword called "Loyalty: _____" where the blank is filled by a specific commander's name, Hondo's in this case. When the Weequay Pirate are issued an order, if it came from the unit named in the Loyalty keyword, they get either an aim or a dodge token upon activating. Which of the two tokens would be chosen by the player controlling the activating unit.

Secondly, a keyword called "Nemesis: ______" where the blank is filled by another unit's name. This keyword would be like "AI: Attack" but the attack is performed against the unit named in the Nemesis keyword, providing an attack is possible. So both Tusken Raiders and Jawas have the Nemesis keyword naming each other and, if not given an order, will attack them even if they're both on the same team.

For 'Loyalty', that's the kind of thing the subfaction-specific command cards are meant to address - for example when Jabba uses one of his specific command cards, it only generates orders for Jabba's Court units (or only Jabba's Court units issued orders get bonuses from the command card). 

As for Nemesis... gameplay-wise that could get very messy very quickly. In the case of Tuskens and Jawas working together, we can assume that they've called a temporary truce in the face of a greater foe and any survivors can go back to duking it out later. 

16 minutes ago, FearofaBlankPlanet said:

As for Nemesis... gameplay-wise that could get very messy very quickly. In the case of Tuskens and Jawas working together, we can assume that they've called a temporary truce in the face of a greater foe and any survivors can go back to duking it out later. 

Yeah I'm not really a fan of that kind of hypothetical mechanic because those units would have to have some pretty solid synergy to bother bringing both of them and risking literally killing yourself (not to mention at the expense of a shot on an enemy or move onto an objective.) If theme is an issue there for you, just realize that the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" sometimes and Legion games represent maybe half an hour of combat at most. The Tuskens and Jawas can to back to shooting at each other after the trespassers get out of their piece of the desert ;)

Posted (edited)

As i stated the pre legion release, *IF* they were to do a stand alone scum faction  the logical choice would be to use maul and opress's scum army from the clone wars s5 arc.

Allows variety and force users you wont see in other scum sub factions (including deathwatch) and a lore/logical reason to do so. Heck if the new season of the clone wars disney has ordered up and enough catch on that s6 was actually made (netflix only) it may even give the mouse cause to push for it....

Edited by Ralgon

I think that "scum" can have multiple faction identities and there for should be made into multiple factions.  Overall the "scum" factions could be focused on alternative ways to score victory points, like the keyword "bounty".  Then you could break them up into different factions.

The Hutts, who could have generally white defense dice, high health (either slightly more minis in a unit or higher health per mini), but be limited in their range attacks (range 2 and melee primarily). 

The Shadow Collective, who could have a force user in Maul, have generally red defense dice and either fewer or the standard number of minis per unit but have range 3 attacks.

2 minutes ago, jcmonson said:

I think that "scum" can have multiple faction identities and there for should be made into multiple factions.  Overall the "scum" factions could be focused on alternative ways to score victory points, like the keyword "bounty".  Then you could break them up into different factions.

They could go this route; there's certainly room for the Hutt Cartels and Crimson Dawn if they were to break down Scum into its key sub-factions. 

I could see them doing a Scum faction at some point. Not sure where that would be, but I am not a purist and wouldn't mind inter-mixing Scum factions, but would still like to see enough options to take just one faction like the Hutts; that would allow the faction to be fielded but might take awhile to 'flesh everything out'