Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Will The Mandalorian Give Legion it’s Scum Faction

I agree. I can certainly see mercenary squads added to the game that could be used by either side, but I just don't see enough ground combat with Scum groups for them to be a faction on their own. 

With the mercenary squads added to the game, you could field a force of mercenaries easily enough without needing a designated faction. 

I think Legion is one of the few games where a Scum faction makes sense.  I don't think we will get it until the Republic/Separatist factions have reached parity with the GCW factions.  They even have a reasonable heavy in the form of Hondo's tanks.

Posted (edited)

said up from the beginning, would I much rather play a mercenary faction then the rebels or the Imperials. I'd much rather play scum t h a n Clone Wars era

From the looks of the trailer, we might finally get zuckuss and 4-lom for Imperial assault

Edited by buckero0

I don't think we will get a Scum faction. Probably Scum Mercenaries for any faction. 

The next two factions are already on the way and I wouldn't expect another faction for at least another two years. The clone wars has a ton of stuff to sell models of and crazy clone wars fans (myself) that will buy them. 

The next factions will be sequel factions. More people are familiar with these factions therefore it's easier to sell models. 

I'm doubtful about the mercenaries angle. In recent interviews, the devs said they felt like each unit worked best kind of tailored particularly to a faction and we probably wouldn't see multi-faction releases, except maybe Hondo as the truest neutral. 

This means if they want to do some of these scum or criminal syndicate designs (which they probably do since rule of cool motivates the design somewhat) they may need their own faction. 

1 hour ago, Gullwind said:

I agree. I can certainly see mercenary squads added to the game that could be used by either side, but I just don't see enough ground combat with Scum groups for them to be a faction on their own. 

I'm assuming you didn't watch the  clone wars cartoon then. Multiple crime factions fight the republic and cis and field numbers at least the size of a reinforced platoon.

Plus, faction less mercs dilute the flavour of each faction, especially if there's enough to field them on their own. 

Posted (edited)

I have no idea if they will ever make a Scum and Villainy army, or if they will be released as add-on squads, but it seems like it could be pretty easily done. There should be more than enough different groups to pull one together.

I do believe, though, that having mercs that you can add on to other armies has a tendency to imbalance games. It makes it harder to anticipate some of the synergies that can make one group very powerful, in my opinion.

Plus, squads of Jawas, Sand People, Gamorrean Guards, etc. would be awesome. Why wouldn't you make that? 😄

Edited by Sharkbelly

Posted (edited)

There is no reason why they couldn't develop Mercs for both sides with limiting factors. I.E. only one Merc unit per army. Whether it is an operative or a small special force team of 4 troops total. They can also make it so that any bonuses do not work with Mercs to highlight the lack of synergy, unit cohesion and TOE. 

Side note... I am so hyped for The Mandalorian!

Edited by BlueSquadronPilot

They did mention making sub factions, would be interesting if they created a scum faction but to have it where certain units were able to be included, rather than all, in other factions. Say like Doctor Aphra being a scum operative that could be taken as an Imperial operative too, or if they want to limit it more they could restrict it to certain pairings as well like Aphra needing to be in a list with Vader. 

They could even do some stuff like a unit with 3 or 4 alliances, like Mandalorian Commandos being able to be taken by the CIS as Death Watch, Scum in general, Rebels due to how we saw them to an extent side with them, and a Scum sub faction that could be Mandalorian. 

Heck, they could make it so certain units only really get benefits for being in their proper sub faction. Like Gamoreon guards might be decent bruisers on their own but having them used by the hutt cartel, if you take Jabba as a commander, then they gain Enrage X or get Courage '--'. Actually that would probably be one of the best way to work Scum, you have a bunch of sub factions there that can work mashed together to an extent but they work best when working with their specific groups. 

1 hour ago, Sharkbelly said:

I have no idea if they will ever make a Scum and Villainy army, or if they will be released as add-on squads, but it seems like it could be pretty easily done. There should be more than enough different groups to pull one together.

I do believe, though, that having mercs that you can add on to other armies has a tendency to imbalance games. It makes it harder to anticipate some of the synergies that can make one group very powerful, in my opinion.

Plus, squads of Jawas, Sand People, Gamorrean Guards, etc. would be awesome. Why wouldn't you make that? 😄

Sand People working with their hated arch nemeses the Jawas?

Why not just have the Emperor leading Rebel Troopers and Wookies if we’re going to cast aside all sense and reason?

I glad to see there’s a mount for the scum faction, can’t wait to find the name for someone to make an account called “whateverthe****itscalledihavenoclue”scout

I don't know if Legion is a good game for scum. Imperial assault and x wing works where there is small dogfights and barfights.

However in armada and legion there isn't enough recognisable units from the movies to give us an entire faction.

Sub factions is posaibility or mercenary units as suggested

1 hour ago, jocke01 said:

However in armada and legion there isn't enough recognisable units from the movies to give us an entire faction.

Funnily enough there are more scum units that resistance or FO units though this is bound to change eventually 

Posted (edited)

Come on. They have to have some sort if "scum" faction eventually. Its too integrated into the Star Wars milieu. I hope it won't be some all encompassing faction but maybe some smaller sub-factions; Hutt cartel, Black Sun, Crimson Dawn, Mining Guilds. 

Granted, they have a lot of work to do to get these right. They need at least one or two vehicles for each of these. The Hutts could get the Sand Skiffs, there are the speeders at the beginning of Solo, etc.

Edited by Obvious_Ninja
Never get this right the first time

My first gut reaction is to say "good lord, no, absolutely no scum faction should be in Legion."  That's been my opinion since the game came out, and it still certainly has merit.  Scum by their nature will be very janky in terms of rules, keywords, and synergy.  As such, I feel like the Scum faction is the easiest to make OP, and the hardest to balance.  Scum in X-Wing is a great example of this, as the faction seems to alternate between amazing to below par, depending on the latest errata/nerf.  And as a complete side note, I've never understood people's fixation with Scum as anything more than supporting characters.  It's called "Star Wars", not "Star Criminal Acts."  That's probably one reason why I hated Solo, the only thing in the movie that interested me was skimmed over ridiculously fast.

All that said, if they gave the Clone Wars era at least a year of release time, I wouldn't completely hate a scum faction.  I wouldn't ever buy/play them, but it wouldn't annoy me as much if they included them.  Certainly a better option than the Sequel Trilogy factions, anyway.  I still don't like the idea of criminals in a war game, but the scale of Legion, roughly platoon-sized, certainly fits what we've seen some Scum factions field. 

29 minutes ago, Obvious_Ninja said:

Come on. They have to have some sort if "scum" faction eventually. Its too integrated into the Star Wars milieu. I hope it won't be some all encompassing faction but maybe some smaller sub-factions; Hutt cartel, Black Sun, Crimson Dawn, Mining Guilds. 

Granted, they have a lot of work to do to get these right. They need at least one or two vehicles for each of these. The Hutts could get the Sand Skiffs, there are the speeders at the beginning of Solo, etc.

The Hutts could be done as a faction now, but I don't think they will come out for a while.  Here is a theoretical list of units that could be part of a Hutt Faction.

Commanders:

Jaba

Bib fortuna

Opperatives:

Boba Fett

Greedo

all of the other bounty hunters

Heavy:

Rancor

Sand Skiff

Support:

Swoop gang

Repeating Blaster(the one that shoots the skiff causing lando to fall off)

Special Forces:

Bounty hunter squad

Smugglers

Corps:

Hutt Cartel Thug

Gamorrean Guards

4 minutes ago, jcmonson said:

The Hutts could be done as a faction now, but I don't think they will come out for a while.  

I like this. My fantasy is that they do a series of sets that could be scenario packs: "Jabba's Palace"could have a a few of the characters and maybe a specialized terrain/objective piece to go along with it; sat Han Solo in carbonite...

See, I got all excited for "The Mandalorian" and now I'm wish-listing again!