Sign in to follow this  
Marinealver

IT'S BACK!!!

Tremble in FEAR!!! The bane of X-wing miniatures the destroyer of the balanced meta has made its untimely return!!! Abandon All Hope those who cast their gaze upon its foul misshapen form. Do not be deceived by its lopsided appearances for by the accounts of many a competitive player it has single-handedly destroyed the game and force FFG to make a 2nd edition.

:P

swz51_spread.png

I actually had no problems with it. I didn't use it much, but there are those who will swear that it killed X-wing. Have Fun!;)

Yeah, we all know this sucker is getting a big old unnerfing when it hits the shelves so it will come off the shelves. I am surprised they are doing the reprinting of this one so early. They have other ships they could have done before this one.

3 minutes ago, Mep said:

Yeah, we all know this sucker is getting a big old unnerfing when it hits the shelves so it will come off the shelves. I am surprised they are doing the reprinting of this one so early. They have other ships they could have done before this one.

They can't un-nerf its inability to go right or rotate its turret in any useful way.  Unless they make R4 no longer small ship only, but I can't see that happening.

15 minutes ago, Matanui3 said:

They can't un-nerf its inability to go right or rotate its turret in any useful way.  Unless they make R4 no longer small ship only, but I can't see that happening.

Sure they can. A droid slot gives you access to R4, which free's up your 1-2 speed right turns. A gunner slot gets you Agile Gunner, which lets you rotate in the end phase. Both would be a decided buff and easy enough to do since the upgrade bar is flexible. Here's the problem though; you stick R4 on that and it goes from being a really restrictive dial to a wide-open one, so now we're back to a large base turret ship that can do whatever it wants for movement. Similarly, Agile Gunner in concert with the rotate action on the next turn gives you a 180 turn, and it's not hard to use Agile Gunner in the end phase to pick a midpoint between ships/possible flight paths so you can reactively use your rotate next turn to follow a target. The two together would let you do 180 degree rotations while doing hard 1 turns all day to make it effectively 270...

So yeah, you can buff it back up pretty quickly and easily. Like so many things though; just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

10 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

How much cheaper does it need to be to be good? I feel like 5 Jumps would be playable at the very least, so... 12 points?

Five jumps would be a nightmare. I don't think they'll ever drop them that low. I think if you're looking at a points drop, you're looking at 2-3 maybe, just to offset some of the cost of an upgrade that might buff them up a bit. The problem with the Jumpmaster isn't that there aren't enough of them on a single table, just that those that are on the table aren't particularly effective at anything. 

5 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

its dial got nerfed hard. dont think they will change that in the reprint. or will they?

The dial shown in the spread is the same as the dial currently, so unless that's an error (wouldn't be like them to make an error on a news release, right?) then no. A change to the reprint dial would surely also require FFG to replace all the conversion kit dials that they'd render redundant before they were even put into use, too.

Just now, NakedDex said:

Sure they can. A droid slot gives you access to R4, which free's up your 1-2 speed right turns. A gunner slot gets you Agile Gunner, which lets you rotate in the end phase. Both would be a decided buff and easy enough to do since the upgrade bar is flexible. Here's the problem though; you stick R4 on that and it goes from being a really restrictive dial to a wide-open one, so now we're back to a large base turret ship that can do whatever it wants for movement. Similarly, Agile Gunner in concert with the rotate action on the next turn gives you a 180 turn, and it's not hard to use Agile Gunner in the end phase to pick a midpoint between ships/possible flight paths so you can reactively use your rotate next turn to follow a target. The two together would let you do 180 degree rotations while doing hard 1 turns all day to make it effectively 270...

So yeah, you can buff it back up pretty quickly and easily. Like so many things though; just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Five jumps would be a nightmare. I don't think they'll ever drop them that low. I think if you're looking at a points drop, you're looking at 2-3 maybe, just to offset some of the cost of an upgrade that might buff them up a bit. The problem with the Jumpmaster isn't that there aren't enough of them on a single table, just that those that are on the table aren't particularly effective at anything. 

The dial shown in the spread is the same as the dial currently, so unless that's an error (wouldn't be like them to make an error on a news release, right?) then no. A change to the reprint dial would surely also require FFG to replace all the conversion kit dials that they'd render redundant before they were even put into use, too.

As I said, R4 is small ship only.  The Punishing One already has a droid slot.

RIP my reading ability at 7am... Also shows how little I've even bothered to look at that ship since 2e landed.

Either way, a Gunner slot being added isn't beyond the realms of possibility. It wouldn't go amiss on the Lancer either, for similar reasons. I mean, even the Scurgg has one. Agile Gunner alone would go a long way to bumping them to vaguely playable. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2019 at 6:11 PM, Hippie Moosen said:

The Jumpmaster 5000 is my favorite X-wing topic. Goes from the OP ordinance master, to a ship almost no one wants to even attempt to fly. Hopefully someday it will find a balance.

No One's Ever Really Gone!

Edited by Marinealver

Dengar wants the arc in front, so he's ok. NVM, the dial is ****! But if they can nerf slots away, they can un-nerf them back! Agile gunner or hotshot seem good for starters.

As one who disliked the toilet seat but didn't hate it to the degree manileaver ceaselessly stereotypes via hyperbole, I want to see it return.  A balanced jumpmaster would be neat and offer Scum a well-needed Hyperspace hand. I'm sure it will release after the point changes that will help it.