FuriousGreg

*Squee* I hope this is good...

Oh my.

That does look EXQUISITE!  Although I, too, would be exceptionally disappointed if you can only play as a male character.  But, seeing as I don't own whatever console it'll be on, I don't think my opinion on that front matters too much :) .

It does look good. I'll wait until someone I know has played it for a few weeks and gives me an opinion though because I'm just very hesitant on video games these days. They can make crap look great and then you buy it and it's a letdown. I bought MA: Andromeda on release and felt screwed over. I decided to wait on Fallout 76 and ended up never buying it thanks to what I saw of it over my stepson's shoulder. I'll wait a few weeks on this one too, but I'm hopeful...

5 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

It does look good. I'll wait until someone I know has played it for a few weeks and gives me an opinion though because I'm just very hesitant on video games these days. They can make crap look great and then you buy it and it's a letdown. I bought MA: Andromeda on release and felt screwed over. I decided to wait on Fallout 76 and ended up never buying it thanks to what I saw of it over my stepson's shoulder. I'll wait a few weeks on this one too, but I'm hopeful...

I never saw the problem with Andromeda personally.  I didn't buy it on launch, but maybe a few months later.  I never saw any of the infamous visual glitches people talked about, and the story/writing was on par with the rest of the MA franchise.   So, yeah personally that one seemed to get a lot more flak then I think it deserved.  

7 hours ago, Absol197 said:

Oh my.

That does look EXQUISITE!  Although I, too, would be exceptionally disappointed if you can only play as a male character.  But, seeing as I don't own whatever console it'll be on, I don't think my opinion on that front matters too much :) .

It's going to release for PC as well. It's being made by the same studio that made Titanfall and Apex Legends. The problem I can see is that they will be using the Frostbite Engine which is great for shooters but not so great for RPGs, we'll have to see how it turns out. I've been reading up on it and apparently that engine is in part responsible for a some of the RP scale back at studios like Bioware (Anthem and Dragon Age Inquisition were shoehorned into the Frostbite Engine). My guess it's probably going to be fun but not one you will replay much like KotoR or Mass Effect.

1 minute ago, FuriousGreg said:

It's going to release for PC as well. It's being made by the same studio that made Titanfall and Apex Legends. The problem I can see is that they will be using the Frostbite Engine which is great for shooters but not so great for RPGs, we'll have to see how it turns out. I've been reading up on it and apparently that engine is in part responsible for a some of the RP scale back at studios like Bioware (Anthem and Dragon Age Inquisition were shoehorned into the Frostbite Engine). My guess it's probably going to be fun but not one you will replay much like KotoR or Mass Effect.

Ah, but my little laptop doesn't have the power to run a game like that, and I don't have a dedicated gaming PC, either.  I've never been able to play anything to taxing on my PC.

Yeah, I'm in the "wait and see" camp as well, even if I do have a machine (PS4) that will be able to run the game.

I've got a buddy that's been burned hard by EA way too many times for him to give EA the benefit of the doubt, in spite of what Rapture or even EA themselves have said regarding it being single-player and lack of micro-transactions and loot boxes.  Though perhaps this was a case where Disney did get involved and told EA to let Respawn do their thing without too much interference (not unlike Disney stepping in on Kevin Feige's behalf to avoid the corporate heads at Marvel Comics from destroying Marvel Studios with their jackassery behavior that caused a number of A-list directors to quit the MCU) and what we're being told is the actual truth with no double-dealing on EA's part.

Personally, I'm hoping this turns out to be good in terms of both game play and visuals.  Granted, I'm sure there will be DLC and Day One patches/updates (that seems to be the norm for AAA games these days), so I won't be grabbing this on Day One, and if the reviews are favorable enough I may pick it up once the price drops or they do a "game of the year" edition with various bits of DLC content rolled in.

If nothing else, this will expand the lore of the "dark times" era, in particular the initial decade that occurred after Order 66, though hopefully with less Gary Stu than what Vader's Secret Apprentice gave us.

Shame that there probably won't be an option for a female protagonist, at least not without third-party mods.

3 hours ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

Shame that there probably won't be an option for a female protagonist, at least not without third-party mods.

I'm a white dude, and I'm all up on white dude protagonists. Gimme some women, some non-white people, some aliens.

5 hours ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

I think your right and what makes no sense is that Disney wouldn't require it as part of their licensing agreement considering that they have been making so many noises about women and girl fans. Seems like a real missed opportunity.

11 minutes ago, FuriousGreg said:

I think your right and what makes no sense is that Disney wouldn't require it as part of their licensing agreement considering that they have been making so many noises about women and girl fans. Seems like a real missed opportunity.

Eh, they might do the "they're both Kal" angle, and double up on the voice acting.  Sort of like how Saints Row does it, and other story games with a gender fluid protagonist.

Maybe not though, *shrugs*.  I'd like it if they did, but who knows.

4 hours ago, Stan Fresh said:

I'm a white dude, and I'm all up on white dude protagonists. Gimme some women, some non-white people, some aliens.

To play a bit of devil's advocate (as I do agree with the sentiment you expressed) part of the rationale behind going with another white dude as the lead is the sheer vitriol that media with a strong female lead have been getting.  Such as the jerks that bash on Rey or Carol Danvers simply because those characters have ovaries instead of testicles, all while Luke, Anakin, and Thor are all similarly powerful but nobody raises a stink because they were all white dudes.

It's a stupid reason to have a white dude as the lead, but it is a reason and after the backlash that EA's been getting from Battlefront II they might have wanted to play it a bit safer and not immediately stir up a new round of controversy if they can avoid doing so.  Sadly, several decades of Hollywood media has made it so that "white male lead character" is the safe default that won't ruffle any feathers.  Even Marvel Studios has been slow to branch out from that default, with Captain Marvel just coming out this year and Black Widow still not haven gotten her own movie (Captain America: Winter Soldier was close, but the main emotional thrust of the film was focused on the Cap/Bucky bromance).

Hopefully this game is a case of "win back the crowd" and if there's a sequel, we can get a female lead in that game.

Why is everyone saying that the protagonist is male? Judging based on appearance? What would Yoda say to that? The protagonist hasn't declared a gender and is actively trying not to be identified, so...

3 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

Why is everyone saying that the protagonist is male? Judging based on appearance? What would Yoda say to that? The protagonist hasn't declared a gender and is actively trying not to be identified, so...

Because in the release video during Celebration, one of the producers, when giving the basic setup before showing the video said "And his name is Kal"  Plus, it's being voiced by a known, male actor, and while that's not a complete deal breaker, Occam's Razor would suggest that getting a white, male actor, to voice a white, male character, is a lot simpler (and less of a PR nightmare), than to get a white, male actor, to voice a white, female character, when they could've just as easily chosen any number of female actors to do the job.  A character already referred to with the male gender.   So yeah, we could try and twist things to fit some other scenario, but it's a lot simpler based on already established data, to assume male.

Given the social media **** storm about misrepresentation of various groups, it seems rather unwise of them to go the "actor is a guy, but character is female" route, given how little it takes to make Twitter go nuclear on someone.

5 hours ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

To play a bit of devil's advocate (as I do agree with the sentiment you expressed) part of the rationale behind going with another white dude as the lead is the sheer vitriol that media with a strong female lead have been getting.  Such as the jerks that bash on Rey or Carol Danvers simply because those characters have ovaries instead of testicles, all while Luke, Anakin, and Thor are all similarly powerful but nobody raises a stink because they were all white dudes.

It's a stupid reason to have a white dude as the lead, but it is a reason and after the backlash that EA's been getting from Battlefront II they might have wanted to play it a bit safer and not immediately stir up a new round of controversy if they can avoid doing so.  Sadly, several decades of Hollywood media has made it so that "white male lead character" is the safe default that won't ruffle any feathers.  Even Marvel Studios has been slow to branch out from that default, with Captain Marvel just coming out this year and Black Widow still not haven gotten her own movie (Captain America: Winter Soldier was close, but the main emotional thrust of the film was focused on the Cap/Bucky bromance).

Hopefully this game is a case of "win back the crowd" and if there's a sequel, we can get a female lead in that game.

I would probably agree with this, if those properties hadn't raked in a ton of money for Disney, so "playing it safe with a white guy" seems fairly low on their list of priorities, especially when money seems to suggest going the other route is pretty lucrative.    Now maybe Revolve decided that?  *shrugs* I dunno who had what control over the course of the story, and how much was actually left up to the game devs.  We'll see as it moves along.   

4 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

Oh hey bigotry. Excellent.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KungFuFerret said:

Because in the release video during Celebration, one of the producers, when giving the basic setup before showing the video said "And his name is Kal"  Plus, it's being voiced by a known, male actor, and while that's not a complete deal breaker, Occam's Razor would suggest that getting a white, male actor, to voice a white, male character, is a lot simpler (and less of a PR nightmare), than to get a white, male actor, to voice a white, female character, when they could've just as easily chosen any number of female actors to do the job.  A character already referred to with the male gender.   So yeah, we could try and twist things to fit some other scenario, but it's a lot simpler based on already established data, to assume male.

Given the social media **** storm about misrepresentation of various groups, it seems rather unwise of them to go the "actor is a guy, but character is female" route, given how little it takes to make Twitter go nuclear on someone. 

You obviously missed my lack of care about the issue at all. It really is a non-issue for me, and I'll happily dismiss the issue because those I see that tend to focus on such nonsense don't really matter to me either.

Edit: To be clear, "the issue" is specifically the social media crap & Twitter in particular. I have no use for them.

Edited by HappyDaze
Clarity

HappyDaze,
So why bother posting in this thread at all?  Apart from thread-crapping purely for the sake of thread-crapping?

If you don't have a stake in the game or any other aspect of Star Wars media, you could always be a responsible adult and just simply ignore the thread.  Apart from some misguided notion that your number of posts/likes actually has any significance, there's nothing saying you have to post in every single thread that pops up on this forum, especially when you have absolutely nothing of value to contribute to the discussion. 

You know, I agree that this is an odd thing to dampen my anticipation and potential enjoyment, but once I realized that the lead character is played by Cameron Monaghan - one of my least favorite parts of a show that ended up being really bad to me - I’m not as excited for this anymore.

18 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

You know, I agree that this is an odd thing to dampen my anticipation and potential enjoyment, but once I realized that the lead character is played by Cameron Monaghan - one of my least favorite parts of a show that ended up being really bad to me - I’m not as excited for this anymore.

Eh, I always try and give actors who have only done one really well known thing, the benefit of the doubt if I can.  They usually have little to no say in how their characters are portrayed, and just read a script.  So while I might dislike a character, I usually find it's not so much due to the actor, as to the writer and director.  

I personally didn't mind him too much in Gotham, up to the point I stopped watching that show.   

1 hour ago, KungFuFerret said:

Eh, I always try and give actors who have only done one really well known thing, the benefit of the doubt if I can.  They usually have little to no say in how their characters are portrayed, and just read a script.  So while I might dislike a character, I usually find it's not so much due to the actor, as to the writer and director.  

I personally didn't mind him too much in Gotham, up to the point I stopped watching that show.   

I try to do the same. But, some characters just bug me to the point that I look at the actor and just see that character. Jerome on Gotham was one such character, and their constantly going back to that well was near the top of the list of reasons I stopped watching, myself, back during season 3 (I think). The characterization and the coy, “Is he gonna be the Joker? Mmmmmaayyyybe...we dunno,” handling of him was nails on a chalkboard to me.

With the final season underway, I’ve started watching again, morbidly curious as to how they’ll wrap everything up. And if I thought Jerome was bad, I hadn’t seen anything until his convenient twin brother Jeremiah took over the not-the-Joker Joker role.

Even watching his interview on the Star Wars Show Live at Celebration had me seeing Jerome/Jeremiah.

That’s not to say I’ve ruled out the game. It looks pretty good, and I’m sure I’ll get it. But, my enthusiasm has waned, for sure.

Posted (edited)

I have several thoughts as to why this game will probably fail. Even though I'd love to have a decent star wars video game once again.

first off the CEO of EA is said to have very little interest in the star wars IP which was leased by his predecessor in 2013. instead andrew wilson has made it very clear that he wants to push EA's own IPs. so the star wars license is more or less a (probably costly) liability for EA and disney is also not very happy with the deal, considering EA has only made two AAA star wars games (battlefront 1&2) since 2013 and both of the titles havent been huge successes in the long run. 
there were rumors for some time now that the exlusivity deal with EA and disney is going to end prematurely, maybe as early as 2020. 

so now this game trailer has come completely out of nowhere and the game is going to launch in only 7 months, which should raise an eyebrow on its own. look at games by quality game studios like cyberpunk 2077, which has been announced as early as 2012 and doesnt even have a release date today. 

my apprehension is that EA knows that they are going to drop the star wars license soon and they are pushing very hard to release another game which will probably sell through its name alone. 

so I'd say wait and see ofc but dont get your hopes up too high and mentally prepare for another launch desaster

Edited by Shizuya