Jump to content
Simpleaswar

Modular Tatooine board

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,

 

I'm Matt and I love making terrain for miniature wargaming. I have been working on a Tatooine board for the the last few months and now that it is complete I finally found the time to do a proper photoshoot of the Tatooine board. The two modules are mirror images of each other. This means that each side of one module is compatible with one side of the other module. As a result, these two module can be assembled in 4 configurations as follow:

tatooine_board_star_wars_legion_1.png

 

tatooine_board_star_wars_legion_2.png

 

tatooine_board_star_wars_legion_3.png

 

tatooine_board_star_wars_legion_4.png

 

 

 

I'm really happy with the result. I've already played twice on it with my friend David and  we had a wonderful time. Star wars Legion is a great game with a lot of potential. On my side, I'm already planning my next Star wars Legion board ^^

I'll try to upload a few closeup pictures of the board when I can.

Have a nice week-end in a galaxy not so far away,

Matt

Edited by Simpleaswar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I really love this game, it’s so great to play those epic scenes from an universe like star wars. It motivates me to finish painting my SWL minis. Hope to post a few pics in the upcoming days.

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Thraug said:

What are the final board dimensions? It looks as though each of your modules is a perfect square meaning it can't be a 6 by 3 board in the end, right? Great work.

Actually that is exactly what it seems.  If you have two perfect 3x3 squares no matter how you shuffle them and join them they will always form a 6x3 rectangle.

Edited by Chili-52

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chili-52 said:

Actually that is exactly what it seems.  If you have two perfect 3x3 squares no matter how you shuffle them and join them they will always form a 6x3 rectangle.

Yes you are 100% right. I forgot to mention that each module is a 3x3 ft square. So when combined this makes a 6x3 ft table. We tried to play on one module only and it works well for small army list  (500ish points) but for bigger games, the two boards are required.

Matt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. What an incredible idea to make them customization like that, its like getting 4 tables in one. That is such a cool idea.

This might be the nicest board I've seen to date, and not just because of the customization features. Have you thought about reaching out to FFG with your work and offering up services for future events/demos/announcements?

I feel like your work should be show cased to attract new players to the game. Incredible stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks a lot for all the compliments , I’m really happy that you like it. There are definitely better boards out there, I’ve still a lot to learn from Rob Hawkins, Scenery Planet and Battleboards. They are the masters. If you don’t know them, I could only recommend you to check their gorgeous works, they are eye candies😄

I’m doing this for fun, to relax from work but if it could contribute a little to motivate new players to join this awesome game and community, I would be more than happy 😊. In the past, I have done a demo board for the rule book of the Fallout miniature wargame (see these articles on my blog). 

I will try to post a few pictures with minis on the Tatooine board tomorrow.

Have a great week-end,

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As promised, here are a few close-up shots of the Tatooine table.

7zLQ6PXtQjb40kiMIVLabMXHHb_lj3Xkmgnu9Vc6

b4v6Ly1k_AYLg4Fn_jzIilI-a58FnB1Hgr1tTgX8

w9PAjJO1Q7nTr2dbh9fBHEOtI5Wg2HVTgaKXLgoK

NKW-31dlMsu9owhaYrSXHlUBvkOt_LNBS2biPQL0

2-rf41i44NzI2Fv_ccULdB5_sr-DobuJTlw-r3oT

TEhh0Nwyhj2rXcnRXifYimCD5EhthDJbQZqCOk4s

b_YU9WKHZrOFB6D_Uu8xcRfkBYboNqFIxaWiXDmG

 

lV5eiNM5ZKfZMg4_1iQWWLdqcPL6mw6jwRsSW7Vz

HEPf6Q6C2rqe4y6DwiDnQpSeecbI5jMTNjcTx2R9

s3XPzI92MiiNO7I_g__dysrQN5TjlJ1mHoiQIGOS

I really enjoyed painting these minis. As many people pointed out, it's true that the mini quality is not on a par with GW one. But I hope that FFG is aware of this and is actively working to improve the quality. Star Wars Legion has a terrific potential to catch people less interested in the rules and more about painting and collecting minis in Star Wars universe at a uniform scale. I can only hope that the rumor is true that FFG is moving to injection molding polystyrene for the Clone Wars minis. This could really unleash all the hobby side potential of this game!

Matt

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes they are mounted on metal rods, it enables more dynamic poses. Some people told me that doing so was forbidden by the rules  but I didn’t know, I did it only for aesthetic purpose. 😊

Matt

Edited by Simpleaswar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2019 at 9:22 PM, Chili-52 said:

Actually that is exactly what it seems.  If you have two perfect 3x3 squares no matter how you shuffle them and join them they will always form a 6x3 rectangle.

Yes, thanks. I meant isn't a perfect sqyare, but looking over them again I can see them as squares. Old age = bad vision. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2019 at 3:34 PM, Simpleaswar said:

Yes they are mounted on metal rods, it enables more dynamic poses. Some people told me that doing so was forbidden by the rules  but I didn’t know, I did it only for aesthetic purpose. 😊

Matt

I think extreme height changes are forbidden by the rules, but these seem within the tolerances established by the Celebration Vader precedent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Legion is very strange with its height rules. It says it has them, that they matter for unit visibility and that you cannot make "extreme height changes" but then they release a Vader at least 1-2cm taller than Core Set Vader (not that many people run Vader now?). I would agree with @CaptainRocket that these speeders absolutely look like they're acceptable height-wise; within the tolerance set by Celebration Vader for sure.

The only issue with speeder bikes on adjustable, posable stands is that the rules are very clear about collisions with obstructions and that (unlike X-Wing and Armada) the physical model matters - not just the base. Where you can bend and adjust the mounting of the unit during play that could lead to issues at a competitive event...

 

The modular table is amazing, very well done! I love how you can rotate the pieces and still get a visually appealing layout. Bravo!

Edited by ZealuxMyr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks 😊

@CaptainRocket and @ZealuxMyr Thanks for your feedback on the height issue. Conversions have always been problematic rulewise with miniatures wargaming. To my mind, this is symptomatic of the difference between 2D cardboard wargaming and 3D miniatures wargaming. It’s not surprising that most highly competitive minis wargaming end up as quasi-2D games (e.g. warmachine, 9th age). On the other hand, minis wargaming are more immersive and creative thanks to the third dimension and that’s why I love them.😊

All the friends I play with know that I’m into narrative-play so line of sight is not an issue. We have an informal gentleman agreement that we call "Medal of Colors" spirit (MoC for short). By playing together we agree that the number one objective is to play “fun and friendly battles on nice battleboards with fully painted armies” (we even organize events based on this spirit). I know this can be difficult to understand for highly competitive players but, for us, this spirit always superseeds any ruleset we may have to use depending the era or universe we play. If the ruleset was the law, Medal of Colors spirit would be the constitution.😉

Most FFG games are highly biaised toward competitive play, yet I think there is room for other styles of play and I think that Star Wars Legion is exceptionally well suited for narrative play (let’s be honest who doesn’t make laser sounds when shooting with stoormtroopers?😅)  We are even considering to organize a Star Wars Legion - Medal of Colors event in the upcoming months.

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Simpleaswar said:

Thanks 😊

@CaptainRocket and @ZealuxMyr Thanks for your feedback on the height issue. Conversions have always been problematic rulewise with miniatures wargaming. To my mind, this is symptomatic of the difference between 2D cardboard wargaming and 3D miniatures wargaming. It’s not surprising that most highly competitive minis wargaming end up as quasi-2D games (e.g. warmachine, 9th age). On the other hand, minis wargaming are more immersive and creative thanks to the third dimension and that’s why I love them.😊

All the friends I play with know that I’m into narrative-play so line of sight is not an issue. We have an informal gentleman agreement that we call "Medal of Colors" spirit (MoC for short). By playing together we agree that the number one objective is to play “fun and friendly battles on nice battleboards with fully painted armies” (we even organize events based on this spirit). I know this can be difficult to understand for highly competitive players but, for us, this spirit always superseeds any ruleset we may have to use depending the era or universe we play. If the ruleset was the law, Medal of Colors spirit would be the constitution.😉

Most FFG games are highly biaised toward competitive play, yet I think there is room for other styles of play and I think that Star Wars Legion is exceptionally well suited for narrative play (let’s be honest who doesn’t make laser sounds when shooting with stoormtroopers?😅)  We are even considering to organize a Star Wars Legion - Medal of Colors event in the upcoming months.

Matt

I love this philosophy!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant work. I always think fixed terrain boards look better, but can get a bit boring. So well done on making one with various configurations. I'd be inspired by this board to do one similar, but I don't have the space to store it. Looking forward to your next board!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks ^^

Quote

I always think fixed terrain boards look better, but can get a bit boring. 

These considerations were the key points I wanted to address: how to have a good looking table but still modular.

As you mention, the only drawback is the storage... but I'm lucky to have a large house and garage (and a very understanding wife).

I'm really hesitating between several thematics for my next table: Naboo or Jeddha.

Naboo would be great with the upcoming Clone Wars but it's a lot of rounded buildings... For Jeddha I would love to make the ATAT Rey's House but it's a desertic board like Tatooine.

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...