Audio Weasel

"Two sizeable ships"... time for completely uninformed speculation!!!!!!!!

20 minutes ago, Darth Veggie said:

I am no native speaker, but could "decent size" not simply indicate that it is not oversized like the SSD? Hence, all regular sizes are still possible? 

“Decent sized” in that colloquial definition would mean cutting out extremes at both ends - neither obscenely large, nor obliquely small...  

So immediately not huge, but similarly not Tiny like a flotilla.

From there, the definition gets murkier, even for a native speaker of the Queen’s English 😁

1 hour ago, LordCola said:

They said Armada Clone Wars is coming next year and independant of that they have two new ships, one for the empire and one for the rebellion "of decent size" that they hope will be release by the end of the year. Here is the link to the panel so you can watch it yourself .

One first class ticket for the hype train please! 😂

I believe that the classic deadnaught is going to come in as the Imperial Support Vessel simply because of the cheaper SSD types being called "Star Dreadnaught" on their cards.  To me, that implies the possibility of dreadnaught being a key word that could apply to a broader definition of Huge (but affordable in 400 point) ships.

Or, at the very least, they probably don't want two ships being called dreadnaughts.  (Like Star Destroyers... or MC80's... wait... uh....)

7 hours ago, LordCola said:

They said Armada Clone Wars is coming next year and independant of that they have two new ships, one for the empire and one for the rebellion "of decent size" that they hope will be release by the end of the year. Here is the link to the panel so you can watch it yourself .

I think the two things are related.  As with Scum & Villainy for X-Wing 1e, you have to launch new factions for an established game with conversion kits.

And there isn't enough, right now, to make new factions out of only converted stuff + whatever is in the 'Clone Wars' conversion/core set.

So we need more ships that can be converted.

IE., my guess?

Imperial Venator (allowing inclusion in the eventual Clone Wars conversion set to Republic Venator via cardboard tokens and ship cards)...this obviously a 'large'

Rebel Lucrehulk (allowing inclusion in the eventual Clone Wars conversion set to Separatist Battleship/Droid Control Ship via cardboard tokens and ship cards)...IMHO, this has to be 'huge', but who knows...

Posted (edited)

@xanderf, I think more likely a Venator and Recusant Commerce Guild Destroyer.

FFG teased us a few years ago with this X-Wing upgrade showing Rebel Recusant and Providence cruisers.

latest?cb=20140429112703

Edited by Bucknife

Yeah, noted that card over in the Clone Wars thread.  It's not a bad alternate guess - the only strikes against it are that it's not canonical that Rebels used them, while the Lucrehulk is (certainly art, and a few EU stories, have the Rebels using Providence-class ships, but that's never re-appeared since the merger, while the Rebel Lucrehulk has).  And then, they never really did show up that often.  Big scene in the opening of Revenge of the Sith, of course, but otherwise just periodically during the Clone Wars TV series, while the Lucrehulks remained ubiquitous throughout the entire prequel era.

But they'd be a heck of a lot easier to make from a production standpoint (IE., allowing lower retail price), no doubt - neither much longer than an ISD (especially given our sliding scale), and like all current Rebel ships, rather "skinny" vs Imperials.

On 4/14/2019 at 7:53 AM, Wisened_Berry said:

. For them to release anything that doesn’t exist in the new established Disney canon would be a massive surprise to me.

The Starhawk is cannon though. It was in the Aftermath Trillogy it was written post Disney owning star wars.

6 hours ago, Kylemcph240 said:

The Starhawk is cannon though. It was in the Aftermath Trillogy it was written post Disney owning star wars.

It's canon, but we currently know next to nothing about her dimensions, complement, firepower, etc etc.  I feel the Starhawk will eventually come.  But more than likely in a later wave.

On 4/14/2019 at 5:01 PM, Admiral Calkins said:

For the people that play this game, I wouldn’t consider the Dornean Gunship or the Imperial Support Vessel (Dreadnought) obscure, as we have been asking for them for a while.

I think maybe for some of the people here on this forum, but my guess is that for the majority of players it is obscure. I for one have no idea what the Dornean Gunship is, where it comes from, looks like or anything. The Dreadnought only slightly more as yes there are several players who keep talking about how much they want it and all that. however besides having seen art for it posted here, I have no idea where it comes for or what makes it such a big deal. I kind of think it is just one of those ships that people got fixated on for one reason or another (for me that ship is the Skipray Blast Boat, that I saw art of but really know nothing about where it comes from or anything like that).

5 hours ago, CDAT said:

I think maybe for some of the people here on this forum, but my guess is that for the majority of players it is obscure. I for one have no idea what the Dornean Gunship is, where it comes from, looks like or anything. The Dreadnought only slightly more as yes there are several players who keep talking about how much they want it and all that. however besides having seen art for it posted here, I have no idea where it comes for or what makes it such a big deal. I kind of think it is just one of those ships that people got fixated on for one reason or another (for me that ship is the Skipray Blast Boat, that I saw art of but really know nothing about where it comes from or anything like that).

Unfortunately, the best representation that we have for what players want and what they are familiar with are these forums.  The Dornean Gunship, or Braha'tok Gunship, is from both the Return of the Jedi and Rogue One.  "People got fixated" on the Dreadnaught (I misspelled it initially) because it reminds them of the Katana Fleet from the Heir to the Empire trilogy and they are see it as a possible dual-faction ship (is also showed up in Rebels).  

On 4/14/2019 at 4:36 AM, Ling27 said:

Yeah, I never understood the need for the clear bases. I would prefer faction colored bases honestly.

Cream - Rebels

Gray - Empire

Maroon - Republic

Blue - CIS

The clear plastic is nice, but I spray mine black and paint the sides next to the cardboard anyway.

Legion is doing

Imperial - Grey

Rebels - Maroon

GAR - Cream

CIS - Blue/Purple

Would probably use the same colors for Armada if they decided to switch.

I have a great "he said, she said" source :lol:. Over in the Imperial Assault forums one user was on a rage about testers needing to break their NDAs to update players on the state of the game and said he knew testers from other FFG games and (no named ships in spoiler)

"one game is getting two new ships from the battle of Jakku."

Could be Armada, could be X-Wing, could be the dude knows no one lol. 

On 4/15/2019 at 1:01 AM, Admiral Calkins said:

For the people that play this game, I wouldn’t consider the Dornean Gunship or the Imperial Support Vessel (Dreadnought) obscure, as we have been asking for them for a while.

True, however the devs are forced to operate in a somewhat more mainstream universe than the gamers. It would surprise you how many players exist in certain isolation from the tournament and community scene; the devs have to pander to them to a certain extent by releasing stuff they're going to have seen (read *noticed* ie not the Bra'atok) in the films and Rebels. The casual player/SW fan is never going to have heard of what a Bra'atok or a Starhawk or a Dreadnought even is. I'd love them to release them anyway, but sadly FFG need to think of sales too. :(

57 minutes ago, LennoxPoodle said:

Wait, there is another imperial option I totally forgot about: The Arrestor Cruiser. If we want that is a different question though.

I'd absolutely love it. It's a departure from the traditional a la Assault Frigate. Again though, would FFG be keen? :(

4 hours ago, codytx2 said:

I have a great "he said, she said" source :lol:. Over in the Imperial Assault forums one user was on a rage about testers needing to break their NDAs to update players on the state of the game and said he knew testers from other FFG games and (no named ships in spoiler)

Hide contents

If that is true, and it is for Armada, then perhaps the Starhawk for the Rebels and the Immobilizer 418 for the Imperials. These are both “Canon” ships for the Battle of Jakku. 

Hide contents

Image result for you know nothing jon snow lol

2 hours ago, Wisened_Berry said:

True, however the devs are forced to operate in a somewhat more mainstream universe than the gamers. It would surprise you how many players exist in certain isolation from the tournament and community scene; the devs have to pander to them to a certain extent by releasing stuff they're going to have seen (read *noticed* ie not the Bra'atok) in the films and Rebels. The casual player/SW fan is never going to have heard of what a Bra'atok or a Starhawk or a Dreadnought even is. I'd love them to release them anyway, but sadly FFG need to think of sales too. :(

While I understand what you are getting at, the same could be said about the Assault Frigate, the Gladiator, the MC30, etc.. And again, the Braha’tok has been in two films.

Reveal hidden contents

That spoiler really doesn't amount to much, given the timeframe in question.

I mean, you could argue that we know one of those ships already....

KWiO3Eq.jpg